Amy Poehler And Will Arnett Attempt To Save The Gap

According to OK! magazine, Amy Poehler of Saturday Night Live and husband, Will Arnett, from Arrested Development are the latest celebrities to attempt to save the GAP by wearing its clothing in advertisements.

Will it work? The last batch of celebs to try to rescue the brand included Kyra Sedgwick and Chris O’Donnell, whom, we can only assume, were located with the same time machine GAP uses to design its clothes.

OK! Sneak Peek: Amy Poehler’s New Gap Ad [OK!]

Comments

1. ribex says:

Why does The GAP need saving?

2. TedSez says:

Just what I want — overpriced casual wear that makes me look hilarious.

3. hypnotik_jello says:

Nothing like selling your soul to save a crap company.

4. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

Reminds me of when Amy Poehler used to appear on Late Night with Conan O’Brien, as Andy Richter’s little sister.

5. Trevor says:

This makes me want to buy Gap clothing why?

6. I’m not sure I’d want to aspire to be Gob Bluth. I MEAN C’MON!

7. Youthier says:

While I’m typically a smart shopper, I feel compelled toward anything associated with anyone from Arrested Development. I mean, I’ve seen Teen Wolf Too at least three times. GAP can’t be worse than that.

8. karlrove says:

“The worst that could happen is that I could spill coffee all over this $3,000 suit. COME ON!”

9. C2D says:

Gawd, Will Arnet is such an a-hole! COME ON!

10. foghat81 says:

They’ve made a huge mistake

[say what you will, but any story that brings out the AD quotes is good in my book :)]

11. shan6 says:

How has nobody mentioned that the ad pictured above looks horrific? Seriously, if you want to “save” your company (I didn’t know they were in trouble), start with your marketing department.

12. SOhp101 says:

Gap and Macy’s… both hiring several celebrities to sell/advertise products in their stores to make up for the lack of quality and style.

13. Serenefengshui says:

The Gap has been floundering for years now. Poor style choices and inventory issues have made this once high-flying brand into a loser. I personally just don’t buy much there anymore; most of my wardrobe used to come from the Gap. I think they need to take a tough look at the brand, decide who their target customers are, and go after them aggresively by creating clothing that is desirable.

But looking at the picture above just reminds me of Blades of Glory!

14. CaptainSemantics says:

@shan6: Yeah, that photograph is awful. I’ve never been so depressed looking at a photo of Will Arnett and Amy Poehler. The shadowing is depressing. Their posture is depressing. That red is depressing. I mean, I get the mugging that they’re doing for the camera, but come on; wouldn’t it be funnier if they were sad with all sorts of happiness around them? Maybe they’re just painting the bleak picture of a corporation slowing sinking into the ocean after hitting an iceberg.

15. Parapraxis says:

Finally, a clothing store that WON’T kidnap and kill you!

Unless you’re a ten year old in India..

16. vanilla-fro says:

@ribex: @shan6:

Child labor stuff a couple of days ago. 10 year olds in india or something horrific. of and their clothes suck.

17. Youthier says:

@Parapraxis: Awesome. +100

18. vanilla-fro says:

@Parapraxis: you beat me to it.

19. rickhamilton620 says:

@Parapraxis: LMAO, seriously though, who would want to support a company who does this, although I know that many other companies do the same thing

20. smartwatermelon says:

REALLY?

21. LadyNo says:

I love love love Will and Amy. They seem like the coolest, funniest couple ever. Even when appearing in a crap Gap ad, their personalities shine through.

22. urban_ninjya says:

I think Gap was doomed once the Fashion police started bagging on the Kahkis

23. Bay State Darren says:

That’s just sad. Mostly on the Gap’s side. We can has Gap death pool? [When, not how]

24. UpsetPanda says:

Anyone else reminded of the ugly sweater Gob got and had to wear? This reminds me of that cause Will Arnett does NOT look good in fire engine red.

25. rodeobob says:

Her? Really?

26. marsneedsrabbits says:

The only way they can save The Gap is if they go in and stock the shelves neatly, design clothing I like that aren’t overpriced, and re-train all the other employees to not act like rude little snots.
    Can they do that?
    Then I doubt they can save The Gap.
    Loved him in “Arrested Development”, though.

27. bohemian says:

This whole child slave labor thing has been eating at me since it was in the news the other day. I worked in wholesale off and on for years both the garment industry and for a giftware company that was outsourcing everything to China. You can have oversight, people go to factories for reviews all the time. Having someone over there on a full time basis overseeing contracts is not impossible or cost prohibitive. These companies can also stipulate no subcontracting. The faux ignorance by the Gap is just that. They were purposely ignorant to this because they simply didn’t want to know so they could avoid responsibility. Gap is big enough they could dictate about anything they wanted in production contracts, they simply don’t give a damn.

As for the Gap death pool, I give them until next October. They will have a horrible holiday sales term, summer won’t treat them any better and then if back to school does not create a huge turn around they are done for.

Either they drastically restructure or they die. I see some other company then coming along and nabbing up Old Navy and running it solog. Another company will grab up Bananna Republic and do the same.

28. BigNutty says:

I thought you were not allowed to go into a Gap to shop after you turned 19 and that you couldn’t make their clothes if you were over 12?

29. Trackback says:

Key Food on Fifth Avenue in Park Slope via threecee/Curbed Flickr Pool Local · Local nail salon worker wins lawsuit [City Room] · A Paper Mag editor braves the super-secret Manolo Blahnik sample sale [Word Up!]

30. wring says:

lol Jim from the Office is hawking Gap too

31. Voltron's Underwear says:

remember… there’s always money in the Banana Stand

32. ohnoes says:

Them? I’m going to write a strongly worded letter.

33. cuiusquemodi says:

They look so enthused to be shilling for the Gap. Was this the result of a series of escalating dares?

@ohnoes: Only in natural light, of course.

34. bnosach says:

Hire a good Photoshop artist, Gap. That retouching is horrible. Oh, and update your inventory more frequently, I’m tired of seeing the same clothes every time I visit Gap (or maybe my local Gap is just weak on that front).

35. tadowguy says:

Sorry Amy, but Tina Fey is funnier and cuter.

36. EtherealStrife says:

The ad needs to play The Final Countdown when you open it.

37. UpsetPanda says:

I feel like I would walk into a Gap if it played The Final Countdown. Wouldn’t buy anything, but I’d surely get a bunch of my friends to go with me and we’d dance. We’d just dance.

38. ElizabethD says:

Gap clothes = absurdly overpriced. They lost me a long time ago. And my teenaged kids, too.

39. DumbelinaTheDaft says:

[scans arsenal of AD quotes…Forget-Me-Nows, “Taste the sad, Michael”, “It ain’t easy being white”…]

The Mr. Banana Republic Grabber character is next.

Yeah, that’s best I could do.

40. Her Grace says:

It’s unfortunate, because Gap tends (or used to) make jeans that fit me well. Oddly, the past THREE pairs I’ve had have all worn through in under 6 months in the same place–inner thigh–despite being loose on me and not rubbing. They have some fabric weakness showing on all of the seams, too–the thighs just gave way first. It’s ridiculously frustrating. I won’t likely buy from them any more because their quality has gone to shit and they harass children.

41. PaperBoy says:

Whatevs about the Gap, but don’t go hatin’ on Kyra!

42. Wait, shouldn’t they be focusing on saving Saturday Night Live first.. it needs more help than GAP does.

43. weird…they look like awkward ten year olds