China Arrests 774 People Over Safety Issues

China has arrested nearly 800 people over the past two months in a “nationwide crackdown on the production and sale of tainted food, drugs and agricultural products,” writes the New York Times. The country announced the number officially today on their website, but did not provide details on the violations involved. The announcement is part of a larger campaign to not only rehabilitate China’s image around the world, but to address concerns that its domestic products are even less likely to be safe.

For instance, China reported that only 82% of the food tested in medium and large cities met safety standards, and that although “it believes 99 percent of its food exports meet safety standards, only about 80 percent of food sold domestically has passed inspections.”

In addition to the arrests, China announced it has banned 13 toxic pesticides from being produced in the country, and that since July, 1,000 tons of fake products have been intercepted at Chinese ports and recalled or destroyed.

“774 Arrests in China Over Safety” [New York Times]
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. uricmu says:

Wouldn’t be bad to see some personal responsibility and liability on this side of the ocean. Preferably up to the CEO level.

2. chili_dog says:

Yes I agree, total responsibility on employees that fail to show up, work intoxicated and demand ever more money for less productivity.

3. kenposan says:

Should read: China Executes 774 People Over Safety Issues.

4. etinterrapax says:

@kenposan: My thought exactly.

5. louisb3 says:

@kenposan: Some of them might commit suicide before being executed.

6. jamar0303 says:

I live in Shanghai. 10 restaurants on my street alone have been closed due to the crackdown, and the rest have to have the new food safety code posted in an obvious location. It’s certainly nice, but I wonder if they’re just trying to look like they’re doing something (about half of them were true crapholes, but the other half seemed to be mostly OK; I regularly ate at one of them because they were affordable). Still, it’s a step in the right direction, though that makes affordable food harder to find for the poor (many of the restaurants closed were on the low end, and lots of people ate there).

7. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

@kenposan: Bingo!

Seriously are they trying to say that thier exports are better than the stuff the citizens eat? Come on its all from the same source I bet.

8. girly says:

I hope they are arresting the people who are choosing to cut corners rather than regular workers who might not be sure about what they are participating in.

I also think it is creepy when China kills people to show that they are cracking down like they did with the toothpaste issue (although I agree the punishment should have been severe given the deaths involved).

I wonder if the people who were responsible were really the ones who were executed.

How about just regular enforcement of standards in the first place?