Boston Red Sox Give You Free Couches, Extra Frequent Flyer Miles, Free Taco Bell

Just a quick video reminder from the Curiously Australian President of Taco Bell, Greg Creed: You can get your free taco from 2-5 today at Taco Bell, thanks to Jacoby Ellsbury of the Boston Red Sox.

Also, a whole lot of couches people bought back in March are now free, thanks to an insane furniture store promotion, and people have been writing in saying Southwest Airlines is randomly giving out extra frequent flier miles to customers who live near Boston, just because the Red Sox won.

Congrats to the Boston Red Sox for the insane amount of free shit people are getting off them this year, and a special thanks to Greg Creed for being so amusingly Australian. We love you.

Comments

1. Edmund_Burke says:

REPPIN THE BEANTOWN

2. reykjavik says:

Its almost 2008 and the consumerist can’t imbed a video player that doesn’t require having to load a new page? really??

3. dirty foreigner says:

I just double checked the last email I got from Southwest, and sure enough, I got 3 bonus credits. p.s. Delta sucks.

4. homerjay says:

@reykjavik: Its possible that they do that on purpose.

Imagine what will happen if they run out of taco’s between 2 and 5…

OH THE HUMANITY!!!

5. hypnotik_jello says:

@reykjavik: It’s all about the eyeballs and ad revenue!

6. Hoss says:

Jordan’s Furniture is a little more than a regional store, it’s part of the Berkshire Hathaway portfolio. Congratulations to Barry and Eliot (well known to anyone in New England) for the recognition that this campagne has generated.

7. DashTheHand says:

@reykjavik: They do it on purpose so they get more page views. Why do you think they put those “MORE>>” links on a story that has 3 more lines to it just to finish up a sentence they chopped off when they just as easily could have fit it?

8. DashTheHand says:

Oh and its also so that you can see more of those fantastically creepy/gross gawker artist banners. Thanks, but botched facelift Courtney Love makes me want to vomit. Same goes for bald, homoerotic, paint-covered man.

9. newlywed says:

i really like this article because i learned all about the prize insurance! how neat! it was totally worth it for the company to do this, because on the items that are now free, they probably had at least a 30% markup on, and that is what their insurance was, breaking even. BUT, most of the stuff the people bought wasn’t returnable, pure profit and happiness for all (except the insurance company, sadly)!

10. Jordan’s is a great furniture chain. I saw 300 at the IMAX theatre in their Natick store. It was pretty weird walking through a furniture store to go to an IMAX movie. But it was also pretty cool.

11. hanbush says:

nobody knows about the free tacos. i walked into the taco bell on 11th and 3rd in manhattan and i was the only one there.

12. drjayphd says:

@hanbush: Really? I hit up two of ‘em in Connecticut, and one wasn’t that busy (although a nun followed me in line to get her taco) but you weren’t getting your taco in the other without a taser and a pointy stick.

13. RandomHookup says:

We also got free Dice Kream ice cream bars at Brighams every time the Sox played a post-season game. I was pulling for a 7-game World Series.

14. geekiscool says:

Oh, there was tons of people getting free tacos, when I went to the two places… And their drive throughs…

15. girly says:

I went early on to a TB w/o a drivethru. Not too many people, but only one person there got other items, everyone else only ordered a free taco.

16. girly says:

Someone I know wondered if whoever sold the prize insurance to the furniture company got fired…

17. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I missed the tacos, but I did get an e-mail from Southwest giving me 3 bonus credits (I live within 90 miles of Boston).

It wouldn’t be the same around here without the perpetual Jordan’s furniture ads (be that for better or for worse).

18. RandomHookup says:

Well, if you have a Boloco card (it’s a regional burrito chain, mostly around Boston), they just added 2 free burritos to every card. Can’t wait till the Pats win the Super Bowl….again.