When Business Traveling In London, Watch Out For Naked Sleepwalkers

Travelodge, which runs more than 300 budget business hotels in the UK, is training its staff on how to respond to the 70% surge in the past year of naked men sleepwalking through their hotels: “One tip in the company’s newly released ‘sleepwalkers guide’ tells staff to keep towels handy at the front desk in case a customer’s dignity needs preserving.” The sleepwalkers have been reported asking questions like, “Where’s the bathroom?,” “Do you have a newspaper?” and “Can I check out, I’m late for work?”

Frankly, we’re skeptical of the whole thing. If you’ve ever been hit on by a businessman—especially a naked one—you know that those are normal come on lines, right up there with “Let me show you my PowerPoint” and “Paradigm.” But Travelodge is naive enough, apparently, to think the ruse is legit. When asked why 95% of the sleepwalkers were men, a spokeswoman answered, “We have more men staying with us than women.”

“They sound more like zombies than sleepwalkers…” [Reuters]
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. Trai_Dep says:

Ah, it’s good to see that Ambien has a strong presence across the pond.

Hopefully, it’s only waifish models and rugged football (that’s “soccer” here for the uninitiated) players that are avant gard pharmaceutical enthusiasts. Because you don’t want to see a curling champion naked. You just don’t.

2. darkclawsofchaos says:

good thing the humidity in the morning due to the heavy fog makes the bush puffy and cover more

3. bonzombiekitty says:

Add another thing to the extensive list of reasons while towels are the most useful item in the universe.

4. Instigator says:

Yeah, right. Sounds like these pervs have found a great excuse for indecent exposure. I’d be willing to bet that if hotel security started calling the bobbies to make arrests, incidents of naked “sleepwalking” would drop sharply.

5. kimdog says:

I call bullshit too. I think it more a case of exhibitionism that drug induced sleep-walking.

6. chaitea says:

Business travel = the perfect application of Ambien, and now that
    it’s so readily prescribed, it’s no problem hitting a doctor up for a
    handful before a trip.

As a 7 year user (but not abuser!) of the stuff, I can attest to the
    amnesia, as could my elderly mom who is the one prone to “sleepwalking”
    (which technically isn’t – she’s awake and talking, but will have no
    memory of it come morning).

Also, -um-in the summer? When it’s hot? Sometimes she strips down
    without realizing it, before she goes on her nocturnal foraging for a
    snack.

God, I hope she never reads this……

7. legotech says:

I had a friend that was on Ambien…woke up one more completely naked, she hadn’t gone to bed that way. Never did find her pajamas either.

8. Optimus says:

If I don’t know much about a topic, I usually take 5 seconds and web search it. Those who don’t know much about sleep walking would be wise to do the same.
    I have a father-in-law and a friend at church who are both sleep walkers and it has very measurable, medical causes. The primary cause is an imbalance of production of a hormone that paralyzes the human body during REM sleep.
    Though I haven’t researched it further than that, it is only logical to assume (as if assumption is ever logical) that Ambien causes sleep walking because it artificially stimulates production of the hormones that make you enter REM sleep without affecting the production of the hormones which paralyze you during REM sleep.

9. LucyInTheSky says:

i laughed so hard when i read this.

10. DrGirlfriend says:

So this just happens in London, hmm?

11. morganlh85 says:

It’s the Ambien, I tell you!

12. Jay Levitt says:

Sleepwalking, hell. Sleep SHOPPING is the more dangerous side effect.