Hepatitis A Scare At Calgary McDonald's

Attention residents of Calgary: Anyone who ate at the McDonald’s at Foothills Industrial Park, 5326 72 Ave. S.E., across from the Calgary Soccer Centre from Oct. 1 to 23 is at risk for Hepatitis A after a food handler tested positive for the disease.

There are vaccines to prevent infection available to anyone who ate at the location less than 14 days ago. If you’ve already been vaccinated or had Hepatitis A in the past, you’re in the clear.

Hepatitis A isn’t life threatening or anything, and people usually recover in a month.

There are potentially thousands of people that would have been at that restaurant over that period of time,” Dr. Judy MacDonald (ha, ha, her name is “MacDonald”) told the Calgary Sun.

“It’s impossible to know the extent of (or) even if people were actually exposed to hepatitis A.” Ick.

Thousands exposed to Hep A [Calgary Sun] (Thanks, Vlad!)
(Photo:Morton Fox)

Comments

1. crnk says:

don’t most people get hepA shots? I think I have A,B and C shots covered.

2. I know I have gotten Hepatitis B shots. I don’t know if I’ve ever gotten shots for A or C. Do you usually get those as a kid?

3. vaxman says:

almost all of us in calgary got hep a and b shots in elementary, jr high and high school. i dunno about c, it was probably there… isn’t taht the one that they do in 3 parts?

4. kimsama says:

There is no current vaccine for Hepatitis C.

The only vaccines are for A and B. If you don’t have them, you can get both within a 6-month period, and get a combined shot for two of the three doses (A requires 2 doses, B requires 3). So, instead of 5 total shots, you only have to get 3.

I’d get them, since it’s easier to contract A and B than it is C. It’s a good idea if you do any traveling. And, apparently, if you eat fast food.

5. howie_in_az says:

Hepatitis A: I’m Lovin’ It.

6. no.no.notorious says:

@howie_in_az: lol! Hepatitis A.O.K.

7. ErinYay says:

So, foreign meat won’t give us e. coli, but it will give us the hep?

Actually, since Heb A is transmitted through poop, equal chances!

Gotta love how Canada is always trying to be like its Big Brother to the South.

8. ChChChacos says:

I smell a lawsuit

9. mandarin says:

Geez that place is gonna be barren for a loooong time after this news…

10. wring says:

I’ve had Hepa A when I was a teenager. I think I lost 10 lbs. Good way to lose weight! My eyeballs turned yellow though.

11. Andy S. says:

@HappyPuppy: If you’d paid attention to the article, you would have noticed that the Hep A didn’t come from the meat, but from one of the employees. So the problem is not the origin of the meat, but the lackluster hygiene habits of a specific Canadian.

12. @Andy S.: They say they aren’t even sure an exposure occurred. Hopefully it will turn out that this employee has good hygiene.

13. teqsun.com says:

@crnk: there is no hep-c vaccination. I know a few people who have it thru needle sharing.

14. ErinYay says:

@Andy S.:

I actually did note that, and was simply making reference to the recent e. coli article in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

(As both Hep A and e. coli can be (and in the case of Hep A, is almost primarily) transmitted through fecal matter, I made the leap to “employee putting poop on food and giving people Hep A” to “employee putting poop on food and giving people Hep A and e. coli.)

15. skittlbrau says:

@crnk: In the US they only vaccinate against Hep B at birth. Hep A is not in our food and water supply (generally) so we’re not vaccinated against it.

If you spend alot of time abroad its usually recommended. I got the series of 3 shots from my county health department for something like $30.

16. ErinYay says:

@baa:

Heb B also isn’t in our food or water supply. It’s blood-borne/ bodily-fluid borne. I still don’t understand why newborns born to Hep B negative parents in America need it.

Obv my kids are totally going to be junkie hookers by 3 months, but all the other babies?

17. Bryan Price says:

Lovely. My wife has been spending time in Calgary during that time. I think the good news is that she hasn’t been eating McDonalds up there.

18. bachill says:

@Bryan Price: That McDonalds mainly served an indoor soccer arena in an industrial park. There are also quite a few of that particular chain in Calgary.
    I have spent most of my time in regions of Canada that would refer to Calgary as “down there.”
    You better hope your wife does not return hopelessly addicted to Timmy Hos. I have heard it is a hard habit to fill (my family sent our mother a care package of their wares when she was in England for a while, and our government sent our soldiers a care package of a franchise in Afghanistan).
    McDonalds should only be eaten at once a year – mainly to remind yourself why you don’t go more often.

19. chuckyblowchunks says:

Here is one for you all to think about,
    That mcdonalds is right were most of us as LONG HAUL TRUCK DRIVERS GET FUEL. And were we spend the night if we have to weight for next load going west to Vancover east to T.O. or up to edmontan, I have to tell you I just found out that over the last month I have eaten there at leats 6 times having breakfast and lunch and late time snack on the fly. NOW what im getting at is this most of the truck drivers i know DONT WACH TV AND DONT LISTEN TO RADIO we have satalight radio so how many of us have eaten there like myself LOTS OF US how many know about this not enuff TAKE INTO MIND PLEASE we are the people bringing you your food to your local stores ect,ect,ect.
    I only found out about this by chanceand that is only because im at home to day just by luck.
    I have had to go to the public heath and get this shot of IMMUNE GLOBULIN (IG) IN MY BUTT. And what makes this worse is now im under 14 day watch along with everyone who ate there. I still have to go get blood work done AND I CAN’T NOW GO HANDLING FOOD OR HAUL IT. I JUST WONT DO IT…
    I could not live with my self if there was the slightest chance i have Hepatitis A VIRUS. and pass it on to some one or a famly out there so I sit at home now for next 14 days and weight out my time..
    I SURE HOPE THIS GOVENMENT OF OURS TAKES THIS AND LETS THE TRUCKERS KNOW WERE THEY ATE MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN SO GREAT…
    O MAY I ADD ALL MCDONALDS IN VANCOVER WHO IS HANDLING THIS HAD TO SAY WAS HOW MUCH OF A CAREING AND CAREFULL BUSINESS THEY WERE AND ADDED WOULD I BE PUTTING IN A CLAME :) YA THINK… Hmmmm yup! any time have some one ram a 22 gage 3 cc neadle in my right butt over Big mac large fry COKE.. or a mc muffin ya i think that is going to spell out MC MILLIONS IN LEAGAL ACTION..
    WELL UNTIL THEN I GUESS WACH THE NEWS HOPE TO GOD THE WORD GETS OUT TO MY BROTHERS IN LINE HAULING GO GET SHOT 14 DAYS RUNNING OUT THEY NEED THAT SHOT ( IG) JUST IN CACE. OR THEY BE BRINGING THIS HOME TO THERE WIFE’S TWO AND KIDS JUST LIKE ME. O YA
    When my wife gets off work she and all her co workers have to get the shot and all of the people she has served food to in the last 3 days have to get the shot, just think if only i had been told sooner or had a government that did there job we would not have this ever happen to public.
    Who the hell lets any one work with food with out a test for hep a,b,c out there BECAUSE I HAVE TO BE DRUG TESTED TO WORK IN THE OIL FIELD. HOW COME THEY DONT DO HEP TESTING WITH FOOD WORKER’S MAKE IT LAW.

YA IM JUST LITTLE BIT MAD…MOOOOO