Bumbo “Baby Sitter” Seats (severe head injuries), Repair Kits Ready To Be Sent To Parents and Caregivers With Recalled Simplicity Cribs (entrapment and suffocation), Family Dollar Purple Halloween Pails with Witch Decorations (lead), DecoPac Football Bobble Head Cake Decorations (lead), Jo-Ann Fabric Stores Toy Garden Tools (lead), Fisher Price Go Diego Go Boat Toys (lead), Dollar Tree Beary Cute, Expressions, and Sassy & Chic Children’s Metal Jewelry (lead), WeGlow Children’s Metal Jewelry (lead), Blastrac BG 250 Series Concrete Grinders (injury from ejected parts), Kawasaki Power Tool Kits Battery Chargers (burn, laceration), Blue Ribbon Meats Beef Patties (E. coli).

Comments

1. CapitalC says:

The Bumbo already says not to use on an elevated surface. Apparently 28 sets of parents are stupid.

2. Myron says:

I have used a Bumbo with my infant. It’s a great product. However, it’s clear it does not restrain the baby like a car seat or high chair with straps would. It’s also clear that a baby could tip out of the Bumbo. Mine was purchased about 6 months ago and it already had warning stickers to the effect that it is not a restraint and to never use it on an elevated surface.

I hate to see anyone get hurt, especially babies. However, I’m not sure the blame lies with the Bumbo product.

3. “If the seat is placed on a table, countertop, chair, or other elevated surface, young children can arch their backs, flip out of the Bumbo seat, and fall onto the floor, posing a risk of serious head injuries.”

You mean, exactly like this?

4. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

Both my niece and nephew have Bumbo seats. While I think both of my sisters are savvy enough to know not to put the seat on a tabletop or other elevated surface, I sent them the link anyway. Apparently the company will send a warning label to those who request it. It would be a good idea, I think. Even if the parents didn’t use the product improperly, it’s good for babysitters, grannies, etc. to see the warning.

5. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

Maybe they could make the Bumbo seat more stable by weighting down the base with something heavy…. hmmm… maybe lead?

6. tozmervo says:

So, in addition to the gazillions of toys that have already been recalled, where does all this stuff go? Is there a leaded-toy landfill somewhere in the US? Is some poor city now drinking from a lead-filled aquifer? Is there a lead-filled smoke plume over an incinerator? Are there children somewhere in Uganda now chewing on a Thomas the lead Train?

7. xhx says:

We used one of these with our son. We were smart enough to keep it on the floor because it IS prone to tipping if your kid is twitchy like mine, but apparently not everyone is. One poor kid in our town cracked his skull (literally), requiring a lengthy hospital stay after his mother left him UNATTENDED on the kitchen counter in a Bumbo and then went on a short-lived crusade to try to get them recalled. I think she was just trying to cover for the guilt of being a neglectful parent.