The Best Credit Cards Ever

The annual Kiplinger’s “Best Of” guide is out and here’s their picks for best credit cards. Best…

Cash-rebate card: American Express Blue Cash.
1% up to 6,500, 5% thereafter.

Low-rate card: Simmon’s First National Bank
7.25%, but you gotta have great credit.

Airline miles card: Citi Premier Pass Elite
Costs $75 a year but a free ticket is only 20,000 miles away.

Card for traveling: Capitol One Platinum Plus Mastercard
No 1% currency conversion fee.

The Best Credit Cards and Financial Services [Kiplinger]
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. dlab says:

The Kiplinger link at the bottom just goes to []

2. gacompguy says:

Isn’t “best credit card” an oxymoron?

3. Buran says:

I pay my balance off each month, so would I still get the rewards on the Blue? I hope they don’t mean “after you have an outstanding balance of $6,500″.

4. qwickone says:

@Buran: Rewards are based on purchases, no balances carried. I think on some cards you can earn extra by carrying a balance, but on Blue, I know it’s on purchases.

5. howie_in_az says:

That’s pretty funny — I was just applying for AmEx Blue but they insist that my zip code does not exist. Additionally, they don’t leave any room for my full address. Yay stupid web developers at AmEx!

6. mrosedal says:

I have said it before, but Discover is a great card for rewards. You get 1% with the occasional 5% on special deals. Since I don’t carry over a balance ever I am getting free money back. They have a lot of partners that will add extra value to what you cash in…Gap, for instance, will give you 50 to your 40. But there are some that will outright double your reward. I have 6 lobster tails coming to my door step in a week and it cost me $7 of my own money.

7. ShadowFalls says:

Yes, it is only on purchases. But the type of purchases you make depend on your cash back rewards.

This topic here is inaccurate, Only Everyday purchases up to $6,500 accumulates a 1% cash reward. All other purchases are 0.5%

Be sure to read the stipulations before you sign up for something. You wouldn’t get the same rewards purchasing items at a Circuit City or Sam’s Club, as you would a local grocery store or a pharmacy like CVS or Walgreens.

8. gingerCE says:

I’ve dealt with numerous credit cards–too many to count, but now use my debit card for most of my purchases, although I do keep a couple of rewards cards for the benefits. That being said, I pay the balance off entirely now because I learned the hard way how horrible debt is. That being said, in my experience Discover and American Express do have good rewards and I feel are better to their customers than the others. I also really like RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) and Barclay’s (British bank). I have had terrible experiences with BoA cards, Citi, but the worst for me was GE Money Bank. I think there are good cards out there, but unless you pay off your balance entirely, I think you’re better off without a credit card.

9. krunk4ever says:

The Amex Blue Cash card rewards are calculated annually. So your first $6,500 in purchases annually are rewarded on the 1.0%/0.5% scale and purchases after you hit your $6,500 mark for the year are rewarded on the 5.0%/1.5% scale.

Why the 2 cash back rates? The 1st # only applies to supermarkets, gas stations and drugstores.

For more information see:
    [www124.americanexpress.com]

The card’s not really that great in my opinion. I currently have a Chase Cash Plus Rewards card that gives me 5% back on supermarkets, gas stations, and drugstores already with no minimum balance. For miscellaneous purchases, I have my Fidelity Investment Rewards card which gives me 1.5% on all purchases.

If you would like to see my credit card arsenal, see:
    [www.krunk4ever.com]

10. skittlbrau says:

I love my Amex blue card. Just got $300 taken off my bill this week!

11. conformco says:

I’m using the Chase Amazon Visa card. Coupling that with my Amazon affiliate site, I’m getting free money coming and going. I get a check every month from Amazon on the stuff I bought, plus whenever I reach the threshold on the Visa purchases I get a $25 gift certificate. I never carry a balance and there’s no fee. Basically they’re paying me every month to buy stuff I already would. I also try to rock the Coinstar/Amazon e-certificate so they don’t charge a fee for counting change, then I pass that through my affiliate site as well. Making a little money there too.

12. jesirose says:

“Cash-rebate card: American Express Blue Cash.
    1% up to 6,500, 5% thereafter.”

Don’t you mean 0.5%…

13. 44 in a Row says:

Don’t forget about specialty benefits, though. I use an MGM Mirage-branded Visa from Chase, on which you get back 1% of your purchases in the form of certificates for MGM Mirage hotels. That part is nothing special. But what’s nice is that booking trips on the card entitles you to things like using Invited Guest check-in, which has saved me a ton of time when trying to check in on, say, a busy Friday night at the MGM Grand.

14. 44 in a Row says:

(I’d add that I don’t use this card for my day-to-day purchasing; that honor goes to my Citibank AAdvantage Debit. But I’m just trying to point out that there can be specific reasons to have a particular card for occasional use.)

15. scootinger says:

Chase Freedom is also pretty good…1% on everything, and 3% on the top 3 of 15 categories that you spend the most in. I also have a Citi mtvU card (only offered for college students) which gives you 5% back at fast food, bookstores, movies, and a couple of other categories.

16. eiresean says:

Wow – I guess Kiplinger needs the American Express ad revenue because it is not even close to the best.

Discover gives you 5% off the bat on gas up to $100 per month gas transactions. You have to spend 6500 first then you get 5% off at American Express.

Chase Freedom gives you 3% on gas with no limit right away. Plus after $200 in rewards they will bump it to $250 automatically. Nice return.

17. theblackdog says:

If you’re a USAA Member, Consumer Reports said they have the best credit card. Of course, you can only be a member if you’re in uniformed service, or the spouse, son, or daughter of a member who was in the service.