How To Carve A Pumpkin Without Severing An Artery

Its’ pumpkin carving time, folks, and while fake blood is cool—real blood isn’t.

That’s why we’d like you to save your emergency room deductible and carve a pumpkin safely.

Consumer Reports likes pumpkin carving kits that featured saw-like blades because they are less likely to stab into your soft, fleshy parts.

The pumpkin-carving kits we evaluated–which ran from about $6 to $15–eased some of those concerns. They contained tools that can saw through rind, poke holes, or scoop out the innards. One advantage of the sawlike tools is that they’re not razor-sharp, unlike many knives. Although various tools broke in our tests, the sawlike ones were judged less likely than regular knives to cause serious cuts to your hand.

The tools were generally small, which made them easier to control than a knife, and easier to use when making intricate cuts. Their small size may make it tempting to let children use them. But while safer than knives, they’re still potentially dangerous, particularly if you’re sawing or poking with lots of force. So pumpkin carving is probably best left to adults.

Instead, kids can draw a face on a pumpkin and clean out the innards.

A Sharpie pen makes a good tool for drawing on pumpkins, as the ink rubs off easily with a wet sponge. Have fun!

How to safely carve a pumpkin [Consumer Reports]
(Photo:AdamOndi)

Comments

1. topgun says:

I found that a Dremel drill works great. I use a regular drill bit but use it as a cutting tool. You can do some pretty intricate stuff with it. (Any comps from the Dremel Company gladly accepted).

2. IphtashuFitz says:

Dremels are a great idea. I use mine for all sorts of odd jobs, and pumpkin carving with one sounds like a perfect use.

3. Nighthawke says:

Dremel has a kit made up especially for pumpkin carving.
    [www.dremel.com]

Essentially it’s one of their cordless rotary units they encased in a clear orange housing, with some bits that are suited for carving pumpkins or similar gourds.

4. Anitra says:

The saw-blade type carving knives have been around for at least 20 years – I had one as a kid. My parents always let me carve a pumpkin myself, but I was supervised during the process.

5. legotech says:

Dremels rock for carving…also, the last couple of years I’ve seen little battery operated recip saws available for the task.

A big hint, if you are going to do more than a funny pumpkin face, shave the inside of the pumpkin on the side that you are going to use, make the part thinner that you’ll be carving through..makes it much easier to get the fine detail, BUT remember that the pumpkin will wilt faster the thinner it is.

Thats one of the 4 I did last year :)

6. TheZenArcher says:

Isn’t severing an artery very much in the Halloween spirit? Why would you wanna take that away?

7. adamondi says:

Awesome. I love that you used my Animal pumpkin as the picture for this post. Just to let you know what it took to carve this one, though, one of those little saw-shaped dull pumpkin carver things would be horrible for this task. I had to use a combination of an X-acto knife (for the detail work)and a very sharp kitchen knife for the larger pieces. Dull-bladed pumpkin carving saws do not make for attractive edges or an easy carving session.

Note: I am a fairly dexterous adult with good tool skills. I would not recommend using the sharp instruments I used if you are klutzy.

8. Sinflux says:

I also use a sharp kitchen knife and x-acto knife, the carving saws bend too easily.

here’s one I did:
    Pumpkin

9. Cap'n Jack says:

@topgun: Wow, I had not thought of this. I imagine that it might be hard if the pumpkin is thick though. Good tip to shave out the inside to thin it out. I’ll be making a Batman pumpkin and an R2D2 pumpkin this week.