25 Safest Cars Of 2007

These are the 25 cars you’re least likely to die in, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s Top Safety Picks 2007. They do front and side crashes at high speeds. They see how much of a crick in the neck you get after being hit in the rear. One thing that stands out is that cars with optional electronic stability control are getting good grades.

LARGE CARS
Audi A6
2008 Ford Taurus with optional electronic stability control
2008 Mercury Sable with optional electronic stability control
Volvo S80

MIDSIZE CARS
Audi A4
Saab 9-3
Subaru Legacy with optional electronic stability control

Midsize convertibles and small SUV’s, inside…

MIDSIZE CONVERTIBLES
Saab 9-3
Volvo C70
Minivans
Hyundai Entourage
Kia Sedona

SMALL SUV’S
Honda CR-V
Subaru Forester with optional electronic stability control
Midsize SUVs
Acura MDX
Acura RDX
Ford Edge
Ford Taurus X
Honda Pilot
Hyundai Santa Fe
Lincoln MKX
Mercedes M class
Subaru B9 Tribeca
Volvo XC90

Top Safety Pick 2007 [IIHS]

Comments

1. Well, its nice to know that they didn’t even bother to test my ’04 Cavalier for rear crash head restraint safety because just looking at it they knew its rating was automatically awful, especially for tall people. I could’ve told ‘em that, at its max height the head restraint doesn’t even reach the bottom of my hairline. Bad news for my 6’2″ self. Its time for a bigger car, methinks.

2. SaveMeJeebus says:

Personally, I have seen the Kia Sedona convertible and I would say that it is rather ugly.

3. balthisar says:

Wow, that’s a lot of Ford Motor Company cars (I guess owning Volvo’s paid off).

4. INconsumer says:

i want to see a list of 25 cars i’m most likely to die in. that to me is a more important list.

5. scoobydoo says:

Nice. Both our cars are top rated. Thanks Subaru!

6. JustAGuy2 says:

@INconsumer:

List of cars you’re most likely to die in:

1. Any car driven by Lindsay Lohan, Billy Joel, or Teddy Kennedy.
    2. Any other car.

7. Lynn12 says:

@scoobydoo: We own a 96 Subaru legacy wagon. What a great car. My husband had a large deer run out and smack the side of it as he was hitting 50 or so mph. The damage was completely contained to one side panel & neither my husband or my son were injured.

On a side note, this car has nearly 200k on it & the only part we have had to replace is an alternator. (outside of regular upkeep)

8. IRSistherootofallevil says:

And basically any car driven in Hollywood/Beverly Hills.

And Princess Diana’s mercedes.

9. @scoobydoo:
    Only if yours have the optional stability control. Without it, they are deathtraps…

10. ElizabethD says:

Love my Hyundai Santa Fe. Yay!

11. rusty68 says:

can i just ride in the wheeled cart they use as the battering ram?

12. Euromobile says:

Volvo XC90 = small SUV? LOL wut?

13. Euromobile says:

Argh! This is not Jalopnik.

14. clank-o-tron says:

@rusty68: I think that’s the logic behind Hummers sales.

+1 respek for Subaru’s stability control and AWD. Good for keeping you safe and better for helping you avoid it in the first place.

15. Eric Lai says:

Although NHTSA and IIHS ratings are important, keep in mind that the rating is only good when your car crashes into another one of similar size and weight. So if a Suburban hits your Chevy Aveo head-on, all bets are off.

It might also be useful to look at newer test procedures. It’s pretty well known that automakers design their cars to pass the criteria of crash tests and not neccessarily engineer them safely for safety’s sake. So when new procedures cropped up, like high-speed rear impact tests or side impacts for convertibles/roadsters, car companies that historically had well-rated cars, like BMW – didn’t come out looking too great.

I know I drive a safe car, because Volvo included a life insurance policy for every new 850 sold stating that if one was in an accident and the pasengers were belted in, not under the influence, etc., and they were killed – Volvo would pay out $250K per person to the beneficiaries – up to $1.25m if the car had 5 people in it. It only applied to the first owner and had a mileage limit, but apparently they had a lot of faith in the engineering team. Obviously when Ford bought Volvo, this went away very quickly.

16. RalphieDC says:

@Euromobile: They missed bold facing the mid sized suv heading in the middle of the column.

I think it’s odd that the #1 automobile manufacturer in the world doesn’t have a car on the list. Hello Toyota? Where are you? and the #2 only has SAABs.

17. goatrope says:

This list closely matches my list of “Cars I Wouldn’t Be Caught Dead In” – but I used a completely different set of metrics that had nothing to do with impacts.

18. TexasScout says:

LARGE CARS
    Audi A6
    2008 Ford Taurus with optional electronic stability control
    2008 Mercury Sable with optional electronic stability control
    Volvo S80

What’s sad is that these are considered “Large” cars…

19. JustAGuy2 says:

@Eric Lai:

That Volvo guarantee seems like a pretty smart marketing move. About 1 in every 6000 Americans are killed each year in auto accidents (50k killed out of 300 million people). Based on this, $250k in insurance should cost about $40/year (250/6). Take out the number killed in cars where the driver was under the influence, or who weren’t wearing seatbelts, and I’m sure you have a much lower number. Figure that they’re very unlikely to have to pay out after 5 years (unless it’s the same owner, and a low-mileage driver), that’s a max of $200, and probably a lot less, particularly since Volvos aren’t generally purchased by people who engage in high-risk driving, and the estates of a lot of people who might qualify wouldn’t submit the claim.

Bottom line, I bet you that insurance policy cost them less than $100/vehicle, if that.

Seems like pretty cheap marketing to me.

20. Sian says:

@LastVigilante: Why did you buy a car that doesn’t fit you?

So no small cars made the list? =( I guess it’s tough when on average you’re getting hit by something weighing over 5000 lb.

21. fastm3driver says:

HA, HA those two Fords are based on the S80 chassis. Just like the Ford 500 before them.

22. mxrz says:

/me hugs his A4

23. Hyman Decent says:

I don’t understand why the Honda CR-V is classified as a small SUV and the Acura RDX is classified as a midsize SUV when they’re essentially the same vehicle. (Yes, yes, the RDX has a turbo and SH-AWD.)

@Eric Lai: While the results of the offset frontal crash tests of cars that differ significantly in weight can’t be compared, the results of their side crash test results can be.

@fastm3driver: Aren’t they (the Ford Taurus / Mercury Sable twins) based on the previous-generation S80?

24. jrdnjstn78 says:

I know for a fact that Ford F150 does well in a rollover going 70+mph.

They need to do a rollover testing.

25. 67galaxie says:

I want to know who has the 25 safest individaul cars. Im assuming Snoop Doggs’ bullet proof van would make the list. Less so my galaxie with the wish-seatbelts (as in ‘i wish it had seatbelts’)

26. Cary says:

I’m not suprised to see Audi at the top of the list of safest cars.

My ’98 A4 was at the dealer so much of the time, there wasn’t much time left to actually get into an accident.

27. Eric Lai says:

@jrdnjstn78: I actually like the new 04+ F150s a lot. But go and lookup the video of the offset crash test for the 97-03 models. Remember the Brilliance BS6? Yea … kinda like that.

@Hyman Decent: The small/midsize classification has to do with interior volume, I think. The RDX and CR-V are probably right at that threshold point and I’m sure there are some minor differences in the way the interior is sorted.

The 500/Montego/Taurus/Sable are on the Ford D3 platform, which is pretty much the same as Volvo’s P2 that first was used for the 1st generation S80. The Taurus X/Freestyle, XC90 and new C70 is also built on this platform. Strangely enough, it seems the new 2006+ S80 is built on a chassis that was based on the Volvo S40/Mazda3 (!) platform, just with a bunch of modifications.

28. airren says:

Midsize convertibles include all minivans? WTF?

29. @Sian: Because I couldn’t afford a bigger one? I’d love to have a big ol’ GMC Sierra that would fit my stature, but I cant quite afford it or its gas mileage.

Also, the salesperson isn’t exactly going to say “You’re too tall for this car and it may be unsafe, please don’t buy it from me.” At the time, I was ignorant to this flaw, from which one could ask: Should the dealership/manufacturer be required put disclosures on their cars notifying consumers of such situations?

30. wildrangemare says:

They should have included the Chevy Aveo. I was in a 7 car pile up on black ice last year and walked away with a bump on my chin because I’d been in a hurry and my seat belt didn’t “click”. I was #5 in line and rear ended the car in front of me going 60mph in a white out. The car was totaled, but I was at work the next day.