“Stories of elder abuse in long-term care facilities usually involve rogue staff. So you may be surprised to learn that the vast majority of violent assaults in nursing homes involve one resident attacking another.” [CBC Marketplace]

Comments

1. hubris says:

Doesn’t surprise me one bit. I spent a good amount of time working in an Alzheimer’s facility and those people would beat the crap out of each other. I can remember one woman having bruises all over her face and arms because she walked to near a guy who had to be strapped into a chair all the time, and he got a hold of her and beat the crap out of her.

2. SoCalGNX says:

My grandfather, a WW1 Marine, decked some other old guy who took a swing at him in their nursing home. This was at about age 89.

3. ltcol266845 says:

Not so in my great grandmother’s case. Quite sad what happened and the nursing didn’t do a thing.

4. ElizabethD says:

Sadly, this isn’t surprising. Even early stages of dementia can bring on episodes of violent behavior among the elderly. There is also the phenomenon of “sundowning,” which all nursing-home staff know too well: in the evening, levels of disorientation and violence often rise among the confused elderly. My own dad attacked a nurse at his assisted living center one night after supper; he hallucinated that she was a robber. We were required to have him admitted to a psychiatric hospital for treatment (read: heavy sedation), which I’m sorry to say simply worsened his confusion and IMO hastened his death. Lots to look foward to as we get old, folks! (cackle)

5. othium says:

In my facility, consumers attack each other through frustration with being cooped-up all day with nothing better to do. They get on each other’s nerves and when it gets to a boiling point, drive their wheelchairs into each other in a sort of “demolition derby” style combat. Rarely do the injuries result from fists or kicks, just bruised fingers from being caught between chairs. These incidents are reported under the Vulnerable Adult statute in my state, which covers violence between consumers (and can be a one-time occurence) – but nothing is usually done to prevent it from happening again. Some of them have traumatic brain injuries and scream for a long time until one of their roommates decides to ram their chair into them to attempt to shut them up. Very tense atmosphere at that place. Glad my particular house is somewhat less combative. After my 8-10 hours on shift, I go home and take a looong hot shower and try to forget. Glad I don’t live there…

6. pestie says:

Wrap ‘em all in bubble wrap!

7. Major-General says:

Not surprising. If you knew my elderly downstairs neighbor and her 20+ year history of screaming and beating on the ceiling all day and night for one slight or another (I like the ones when no one is home), then this wouldn’t be surprising.