Wired talks to farmers who own cloned livestock and dairy cows—2nd and 3rd iterations of valuable original “models.” The FDA hasn’t officially approved cloned meat and milk for supermarkets yet, though, and lots of consumers still freak out. (Did you when you read that first sentence?) [Wired]

Comments

1. Chris says:

Do they clone money, also?
    This is really bizarre to me, I thought cloning would involve me and a few expensive items.

2. legerdemain says:

I thought the FCC wouldn’t get into the livestock trade. Stick with cellphones, I say!

3. Graedus says:

(I’m sure not going to read that article – way too long – but…)

I can’t imagine their being anything wrong with eating cloned meat. Just because the genetic structure is changed (or rather, the identical DNA of another healthy animal is present in duplicate in the daughter’s body), doesn’t mean that it will affect what you are eating.

If that doesn’t clear things up, maybe this will (won’t)…

If you are a cannibal, it wouldn’t matter if you ate normal people, or people with diabetes, Down’s Syndrome, racism, etc.; it will all go in and out the same way. The DNA that is responsible for the change in the victim’s appearance/behavior will be quickly destroyed once it enters your acidic stomach. (And no, I’m not saying racism is genetic, that’s incredibly stupid). Hope I’m not being insensitive.

4. @legerdemain: Oops, I meant FDA of course. Thanks for catching that.

5. LiC says:

I’m already eating vegetables that have been genetically modified or and inhaling chemicals that have not been proven to be safe for human consumption or whatnot, so why the heck not. Pass the beef.

6. alhypo says:

I can’t wait for this to get going. I haven’t had a decent steak in years. This should improve the probability of obtaining prime cuts of beef thereby driving the price down (eventually).

And GRAEDUS sums it up pretty well. All the genetic material you consume is broken down to its basic form before being used by your body. It’s like if you tore down a haunted house and used the material to build another structure. Presumably it wouldn’t be haunted any more, right?

7. CumaeanSibyl says:

@alhypo: Not if you’re operating on movie rules. I think one of the Amityville Horror films operated on ghost transmission via haunted lamp.

8. Pasketti says:

@alhypo:
    You haven’t had a decent steak because they changed the US beef grading system. (I’m assuming you’re in the US.) The grades used to be “Prime”, “Choice”, and “Good”. Now it’s “Prime”, “Choice”, and “Select”. All they changed was the name.

People had learned that Good cuts were not really all that good (tough and not as tasty). But the industry needed some way to more effectively market the leaner cuts, so they changed the name.

And then there’s the branding, like “Certified Angus”. People think that Certified Angus is prime – it’s not. It’s Choice.

Moral: If you want a good cut of beef, get Prime.

9. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Freak out? No. I’m a vegetarian… mostly for health and hygiene purposes. Given a meal of beef, I’d eat it if I could be sure it was from a cloned animal raised by someone who I could trust, fed on top-quality plant-source feed, and slaughtered/packed/shipped/sold under the most resh and sanitary possible conditions. The sloppy way the meat industry treats food puts me off every time I get tempted to slip.

10. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

that’s “fresh” and sanitary conditions.

11. hi says:

quote: “All the genetic material you consume is broken down to its basic form before being used by your body.”

If this statement were true we wouldn’t need a FDA, and they wouldn’t recall meat with ecoli or anything else for that matter.

12. waxigloo says:

@mbills2:
    That’s not true. You are interpretting “genetic material” to mean the entire product. They are simply saying the cloned DNA is destroyed by your digestive system. It isn’t claiming all chemical/biological material is broken down to its basic form.