This Huffy Bike Will Injure You

If you own this Huffy bike, you should be aware that at any moment “the bicycle crank can unexpectedly come off, causing the rider to lose control, fall and suffer serious injuries.”

Yeah, we don’t want that to happen either. That’s why you should stop using the recalled bicycles immediately and contact Huffy for instructions on tightening the crank.

This recall affects:

2007 model year, multi-speed bicycles with 26-inch, 24-inch or 20-inch wheels. The “Howler” was sold in black (model K3587, boy’s model), blue (model K4587, men’s model), and red (model K6587, men’s model). The “Highland” was sold in white (model K4597, women’s model) and blue (model K6597, women’s model). The name “Howler” or “Highland” is printed on the frame of the bicycle, and the name “Huffy” is on the front of the frame. Model numbers are located on a label on the bottom of the frame where the crank is attached to the bicycle.

The bike was sold from May-July 2007 at Kmart.

Contact Huffy Corp.(888) 366-3828 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit www.huffybikes.com

Huffy Recalls Bicycles Due To Cranks Falling Off; Riders Can Lose Control of Bike [CPSC]

Comments

1. gniterobot says:

It’s a sledgehammer

2. zundian says:

I actually had this happen with a Huffy 10 speed something like 17 years ago. I was pedaling along, minding my own business when the left pedal and crank just snapped off, causing my to lose my balance and fall to the ground, tearing my favorite jacket.

3. Namilia says:

“The bike was sold from May-July 2007 at Kmart.”

Not surprised…a LOT if not all of the items K-mart sells are not of the highest quality or even good quality.

By all means, if you have this bike turn it in. A knee that looks like mincemeat and a broken wrist is NOT FUN.

4. TechnoDestructo says:

@zundian:

I had the whole assembly just come loose once. It didn’t come out, but it would just slip more and more often…until eventually it was just sitting in there loosely with the bearings hanging out.

Actually, I had it happen once with a Huffy, and once with another bike. Haven’t had it happen since I started downshifting as I come to a stop. (Applying too much torque in a high gear isn’t good for your bike, apparently)

5. warf0x0r says:

When I was a kid my parents always bought me huffy bikes from Target. They suck! Any time you went over a curb the rims would get bent and the bike was useless but everytime that happened I got another huffy bike that cost about 100 bucks.

When I got old enough I went to a bike shop and got a Specialized bike for about 400 bucks. The thing lasted about 7 years, I grew out of it before it ever broke. The only thing that broke on it was the chain, but I was too big for it then so I just gave it away.

Moral of the story, spend 100 bucks 4 times for for bikes or just 400 bucks for a bike that lasts… and wont kill you.

6. DeeJayQueue says:

Here’s a tip, Don’t buy bikes at Kmart or Target, and if you do, try to get them in the box preassembled.

Huffy as a company isn’t that well organized, the assemblers get paid per unit, so the incentive is to do the max amount of units per day, instead of doing them right, you know, for saftey. Granted, these days the bikes come mostly preassembled, only the front wheel, tires, pedals, handlebars and chain have to go on in-store, but there is still plenty of margin for error. if you are on a budget for a bike, I’d suggest a place like Dicks Sports. The help isn’t that great, but they do their own work and will stand by it if you need to bring the bike back.

7. faust1200 says:

@gniterobot: Can you take it off any sweet jumps?

8. shfd739 says:

Huffy = junk. If you need a bike for your kid or yourself go visit a local bike shop. You might spend a little more money but the better quality and experience is worth it.

I had Huffys for years growing up and finally convinced my parents to get me a GT. Best bike decision they made, I could beat on it without it breaking unlike the Huffys.

9. shfd739 says:

@faust1200: Not unless you want bent rims and a destroyed bike.

10. nursetim says:

Times have changed for Huffy. About 25 years ago, I had a Huffy BMX style bike that my parents got me. It was the first bike I had with no training wheels. For about 2 months I ran into just about everything and crashed God knows how many times until I learned to ride that thing. My parents still have that bike and my kids ride it when they visit. The only thing that ever broke on it was the plastic insignia on the front, which happened the first time I crashed. They just don’t make them like they used to.

11. RatherBeBiking says:

Heres a tip :

Don’t buy bikes from Kmart, Target, Walmart, etc.

Buy old bikes, the ones made out of steel.

12. Anonymous says:

Last time I called a place and asked for help “tightening my crank” I got called a pervert and hung up on.

13. G-Dog says:

@warf0x0r:

Exactly. As a child, my parents bought me a used, professional Redline BMX bike that lasted me 6 years. I bought myself a new one when I got to college, and 6 years after that, I’m waiting to give it to my son.

14. JiminyChristmas says:

I’ll join the chorus of people saying to just not buy department store bikes, not for children and especially not for adults. The parts are junk and they’re much more difficult to replace, repair, and adjust relative to even the lower end of what you would find in a bike shop.

If you buy a cheap bike it will ride fine for about a month. After that, it will go out of adjustment, which will be a p.i.t.a. to fix, and the result is you will stop riding it. A bike one actually rides is a much better value than one that sits in the garage rusting out.

15. Dibbler says:

@gniterobot: :) HAHAHAHAHA lolz. That was funny.. I read that comment and then moved on and 30 seconds later I got it. Made my day. Can you do any sweet jumps with it?

16. CurbRunner says:

Huffy was always a good bike since I first rode one on Guam, where my dad was stationed when I was a kid in 1954. I suspect that since they’re no longer made in America that the quality has diminished.

17. Even though they were sold at K-Mart, I always understood Huffy to be a pretty good brand.

18. myrall says:

Duh. Another reason to go to a bike shop. I know it’s bad karma, but we used to secretly (and sometimes even openly) laugh at people that brought busted a$$ bikes to us that “just fell apart” from Wal-Fart and elsewhere. We laughed even louder when it was someone we recognized as having just been in our shop to look at bikes but left complaining of the prices.