Quantum Fishing Catches A Lifetime Customer

I have a Quantum Kevin VanDam Signature Series fishing reel I purchased a few months ago from Bass Pro Shops. It was a mid-range model that I paid around $80 for. Last night, I was fishing at a local pond and managed to snap the bail arm (connects the bail to the reel itself and holds the yo-yo shaped part that guides the line back onto the reel) clean in half while making a cast. I was horrified, especially with a fishing tournament a week from Saturday. I went to the Quantum Fishing website and saw that their policy is for warranty repairs, if it’s not back in the mail on the way to the customer within 48 hours, you get a free hat. Pretty cool, but no way would a warranty cover me putting too much pressure on the bail (this isn’t the first reel that snapped at that point for me–I’m working on not putting so much pressure on it when I cast).

I clicked the link for a third-party website to order the part I needed to repair it myself. Unfortunately, they didn’t list my reel. I went back to the Quantum Fishing website and called their 800 number. To my surprise, a computer didn’t answer, but a sweet woman named Mary did. I explained what happened and that the other site didn’t have the part, so she looked it up in the computer. While she was looking it up we talked about the weather, being outside, and other pleasantries. Turns out that particular model is a Bass Pro Shops exclusive, so they didn’t carry the parts for it… in their catalog at least. I thought I was out of luck and would have to just buy another reel, but then she did the really unexpected. She said, “I bet even though it’s not in our system as something we repair, we probably have a few lying around in the back service department warehouse” and she would check. Next thing I know, she takes my name and address and says I’ll have it within a week. Just as I was about to ask her if she needed my credit card info, she said “and that will be no charge, thanks for using Quantum products.”

I was amazed, and I’m now a Quantum customer for life. Had she not done that, I would have been buying a whole new reel. Or she even could have charged me for the part itself, and who knows how much that would have been. Thanks Quantum, and thanks Mary!

Quantum offered everything a customer could ask for. No annoying robotic menus, just a kind, helpful CSR who was able to solve reader Jay’s problem. Customer service like that is a real catch.

Comments

1. XTC46 says:

Very cool. It seems like we are getting a lot more of these “happy” posts lately. Managers always say “an angry customer will tell 10 people how much they hated their experience, a happy one will only tell 2 people how much they liked it” so its good that we are averaging it out some.

2. Scazza says:

Too bad I don’t fish, or I would prolly buy Quantum now. I love the Above and Beyond posts, good to see the handful of companies left who give a damn…

3. darkclawsofchaos says:

If only the 360 replacement service was this nice

4. sporks says:

Thumbs up to this company. Always great to see a company that still gives a damn about customers.

5. Rando says:

If you notice the trend, usually when you buy top of the line products(-APPLE), pricey products, the customer service is good, ie Bose.

It doesn’t get any better than Quantum when it comes to Lure Reels.

6. Nighthawke says:

We’ve had good luck with Quantum products, along with Cardinals, Abu Garcia, and Lowrance of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

We owned a ancient Lowrance X15 Grayline paper graph and it’s stylus belt broke. Now the unit’s like 15 years old, an old trooper but still going strong. We called them up and got a human first crack. They asked how many and would you like some paper to go along with them. We said yes and we got a case of paper with 2 belts.

It’s still going strong, outperforming the newest units.

7. XTC46 says:

@RandoTheKing: It’s not necessarily “top of the line” as much as its “appearance of exclusiveness” The brands you listed (Apple and Bose) are not “top of the line” products. They are good quality, but there is superior. What they do, however, is make it seem like you are getting in on an exclusive when you buy from them. They have a very good brand image. Part of this is BECAUSE of the customer service.

8. PatrickIs2Smart says:

Sooo… did he get a hat or what?

9. ajn007 says:

Fish on!

10. moorie679 says:

Awesome, just awesome, I am in love with companies with people answering the phone in a timely manner, and doing the unexpected. Result is that you get a lifetime customer, in the long run company generates more money this way compared to penny pinching and shitty customer service. Well i am out to get a wood saw and a fishing reel.

11. Jeff asks: "WTF could you possibly have been thinking? says:

Some years ago I was given an amateur radio antenna made by Cushcraft. It was in pieces and I had no idea what went where. I emailed them asking for instructions on how to order a manual, fully prepared to pay a small fee plus s/h. Exactly 1 week later, a complete manual appeared in my mailbox with a note thanking me for my interest in their products. All my antennas are now Cushcraft. Bravo to companies that do this kind of thing!

12. Elvisisdead says:

@sporks: The thing is that companies like this can give a damn until the “want something for nothing” crowd comes out of the woodwork.

13. Abu Reels says:

The Quantum PT VI reels lost weight and got a facelift thanks to the creative engineers at Quantum. I suspect this is where the problem you have experienced may lie. With many design improvements across the series, these are reels designed for the most demanding angler, but when the strength is absent they really need to reavaluate the product in my view and quickly.