With Imaginary Mold, Sheraton Cancels 30 Wedding Guest Reservations For International Figure Skaters

“My sister is getting married in Reading, PA on October the 27th and we booked approximately 30 hotel rooms at the Sheraton Hotel in Wyomissing, PA for out-of-town guests. The groom is from Washington state, so there are a significant number of people traveling across the country. The block of rooms was reserved well over a year in advance and all of the individual reservations were made with months to spare. There is a large figure skating competition in the area (Skate America) that same weekend, and hotel rooms are nearly impossible to come by at this point within a 45 minute drive. Late last week my mom called the Sheraton to check in on the reservations (as she had done multiple times prior given the aforementioned dearth of hotel rooms in the area for that weekend to ensure that nothing like this would occur) and was told they had canceled all of the hotel rooms in the block including the bridal suite.”

When pressed on the issue the manager on duty (Manager 1) stated that there was a mold problem and the rooms needed to be cleaned, etc. which was to be done that weekend. The manager offered no apology and offered to book reservations at a hotel 45 minutes away, which, in my opinion is not exactly a fair trade-off.

The next day my dad went to the hotel and attempted to reserve a room for the weekend of the 27th. The manager on duty (Manager 2) said that they were all booked. My dad pressed on for awhile, and upon getting nowhere inquired about the mold problem. Manager 2 stated that there was no mold problem that she was aware of and that all the rooms were simply booked for Skate America. At this point my dad let on and told her who he was and explained the full story.

Manager 2 stated that the block shouldn’t have been canceled and that Manager 1 had acted inappropriately. Both of my parents went to the hotel this morning and were told by Manager 1 that there was nothing he could do and he continually refused to even provide a room for the bride and groom, stating that the other customers were international guests and therefore had priority even though our block (and many of the actual rooms) had been reserved over a year in advance.

We have requested documentation of the mold problem and have yet to receive it or any indication that it is forthcoming. As of this writing none of the guests have been notified that their reservations no longer exist, in fact several of them have received emails saying that the Sheraton can’t wait to welcome them as guests in a few weeks! We’ve attempted to escalate the issue via national customer service to no avail and have seemingly exhausted our options at the specific hotel itself. Any thoughts on where to go from here?

Pseudonymously,
Calvin Rigatoni>

The Sheraton had no right to cancel these people’s reservation with their moldy lies. It sounds like these two managers are on the same hierarchy. Instead of escalating to Sheraton corporate, which sounds as hands-off to the franchises as a car-maker to a dealership, maybe find out who the owner is of this particular Sheraton. More than just the importance of keeping promises, a real wedding is more important than a fake sport.

UPDATE: Calvin writes:

My mom was able to get all the rooms she needed in another hotel nearby after a separate wedding party canceled their block. After much back and forth and discussions between the Sheraton and my parent’s lawyer, the Sheraton agreed to pay for all of these rooms as well as transportation from the hotel to the reception, etc. They’ve still offered very very little in the way of apology or further explanation, but at least they’ve attempted to make right (or cover their respective a**es depending on how you look at it.)

Comments

1. SaveMeJeebus says:

Call the local news station.

2. Zgeg says:

Oh Snap!

3. DeeJayQueue says:

That is some serious bullshit right there.

I would ask the question though, after all this would you really want to stay in a hotel that already cancelled your reservation once and treated you this way? I know it’s going to be murder to try to find rooms but why would you give money to someone who shits in your cheerios?

4. Anonymous says:

if the article reads correctly, i’d say they are at least discriminating against you becuase your not a international “celebrity”, and therefore, less important.

5. Anonymous says:

@DeeJayQueue: i agree.

6. djyox says:

@ SAVEMEJEEBUS

I agree, make a stink, let others know how they treat your family. Other locals would want to know when the holidays roll around and they will be asking relatives to come to the area and know what hotel they should not stay in. Maybe the hotel will see an error in its way, however, I don’t see other than giving free rooms how they could make it up to you, its not like you would want to stay there again by choice…

7. Murph1908 says:

@DeeJayQueue:
    They don’t have much of a choice at this point, considering there aren’t any rooms available close by.

May I suggest standing outside in your wedding dress with a sign stating your complaint. Something like “Sheraton is ruining my wedding” should suffice.

8. Anonymous says:

i worked at a hotel, and unfortunatly, i don’t think you can do anything legally. as i understood the policy at my hotel, we could refuse anyone a room for any reason period. now that may be wrong, but i think a place like the sheraton probably wouldn’t put themselves in a lawsuits way. i hope i’m wrong, but sounds to me like your at their mercy. read the how to kick a scammy car dealer…….tell the hotel how you will use your 1st amendment right to stand on the sidewalk and pass out flyers about what has been done to you. sure it won’t fix your wedding, but it will make you feel a lot better.

9. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

@DeeJayQueue: I hear you, but last minute wedding changes are a beytoch to deal with as an already frazzled bride. I’m sure she was just thinking, “They owe me rooms, and dangit, they’re gonna give me some rooms!”

Ration and brides don’t necessarily go hand in hand the month before the wedding.

10. Anonymous says:

if this was in my city, i swear i’d picket with you! i’m all about that stuff! funny though, i refuse to picket on politcal issues, such as abortion, war etc. but i do vote.

11. Anonymous says:

i guess i feel like picketing on a business would have more of an impact than picketing washington.

12. Anonymous says:

i’d write to the figure skaters and tell them whats going on. maybe they could call the hotel on your behalf, if they were nice people that is.

13. skrom says:

This is why everyone should just go to a courthouse to get married and skip all the ceremonies. That’s how my wedding will be. Also instead of wasting thousands of dollars on catering and bands and crap like that you can just have a picnic at home with a radio playing. People love hotdogs and burgers. That way you can save all that money and use it to pay off all your bills.

14. Anonymous says:

i’d write to the figure skaters and tell them whats going on. maybe they could call the hotel on your behalf, if they were nice people that is–

and if they are not, picket your cause on the day of their performance, surely there will be news coverage around wanting to know what you are doing.

15. venterminator says:

I’m against picketing, but I don’t know how to show it.

16. Falconfire says:

@skrom: sounds nice… go tell your future wife that….

Hate to break it to you but the wedding has little to do with what the husband wants, and much to do with what the wife/wife’s family wants in most cases. I feel lucky that my opinion on things is being included as much as it is, since both my fiance’s friends told her not to but she ignored their opinion on things.

The key with weddings though is to not go overboard, and stay within your means. You can have a wonderful ceremony for little of what many go to.

17. clementine says:

Why would the figure skaters get involved in this? They weren’t the ones who screwed everyone over, it was the hotel. I vote for notifying the local media and possibly taking out an ad in the local paper explaining what went on. Hotels depend a great deal on having a good local reputation, kick them where it hurts.

18. hills says:

Is Oprah part of the figure skating shin-dig?

(she was rumored to have booted some wedding guests out of a hotel recently….)

19. CumaeanSibyl says:

@skrom: That’s great, but I don’t think we’re actually talking about whether or not you approve of how these people live their lives.

20. descend says:

@skrom:

Because the nation is teeming with women with low self-esteem who need to be a “princess for a day”.

21. polyeaster says:

Ok…I certainly don’t condone what the hotel is doing here- whoever had the reservation first should get it. End of story.

I will say that it’s perhaps a tad misguided to call figure skating a “fake sport.” That’s just unnecessarily tacky. Also are international figure skaters the ones actually STAYING in the hotel at that time, or are the rooms being booked for people who are ATTENDING the event? Being that tickets are sold for events like Skate America a VERY LONG TIME in advance, one would think that hotel reservations for the skaters would have been made a long time ago. I got emails at LEAST 8 months ago inviting me to purchase tickets to that event…seems like they should talk to someone higher up who actually KNOWS something.

22. Chicago7 says:

@skrom:

People DO love hot dogs and burgers!!! :D

23. Anonymous says:

skrom: i just told my fiance that and she was like that guy might get a girl to go for that…….if she was on her 3rd wedding.

24. lightaugust says:

Man, I just got married a month ago, so i feel for the poor bride here. There’s enough going on without people screwing you over- whether they have the right to or not. I think this is one of the rare consumerist cases where the complaint happens before someone gets really screwed over. So, I wonder if we, the faithful readers could just give a call over to the Reading Sheraton (www.sheraton-reading.com) and let them know what we think. Politely, of course. And in great numbers.

25. Zennie20 says:

Contact these guys: [www.wfmz.com] – They have the local Berks County news program on Channel 69.

Also contact: [www.readingeagle.com] – They’re the local newspaper and probably have the most pull in Berks as far as influence goes.

I would definitely give both those outlets a call and explain your situation to them. If it doesn’t lead to you getting your rooms back, at least you’ll get the Sheraton pulled through the mud.

It might be worth contacting the venue organizing the event: [www.sovereigncenter.com] – and explain your situation. Who knows, maybe they don’t need all rooms the have reserved.

I’m from Reading (if you couldn’t tell) and want to help Calvin out if I can.

26. davebg5 says:

Anyone got that hotel’s phone number? We could launch our own Jihad and keep their phone lines tied up all day.

27. Zennie20 says:

@davebg5:
    1741 Papermill Rd
    Wyomissing, PA 19610
    (610) 376-8031

28. Anonymous says:

i had a room cancelled when our family took a vacation to Paris because a large soccer match was going on nearby and all the rooms were sold out to large blocks of futbol fans. sucks. they didn’t even try to hide it. we were also relegated to a hotel way out of the way.

29. Murph1908 says:

@venterminator:
    Ladies and gentlemen, Steven Wright!

30. @Falconfire: mine told me that if we were to get married that it would be just like that. courthouse/weekend in vegas. all that money that gets saved goes to a bigger house.

31. Anonymous says:

calling the hotel itself will do probably very little since they are the ones who have been so rude in the first place. i say escalate! call corporate, email carpetbombs, seek out higher ups emails, phone numbers etc. call corporate and just punch in random extensions until you get someone to pay attention to whats happening. leave messages on every voicemail.

32. warf0x0r says:

Lame man, so lame. I’m passing this on to my co-workers in our installations department. Sheraton I can guarantee I wont be staying with you, but I maybe able take some guys with me, guys who travel all year round.

>:)

33. LionelEHutz says:

(1) Figure skating isn’t a sport, sorry. Athletic – yes, entertainment – yes, sport – sadly no.

(2) Still, I’m sure the customer is a fault here. Somehow. Maybe they should have triple secret reserved the rooms, or given bigger bribes.

34. infinitysnake says:

It would serve them right if their “mold problem” was brought to the attention of the health department…

35. davebg5 says:

@Zennie20: Just called and told the drone who answered the phone that I read about them making up some story about mold to kick a wedding out of their hotel for an ice skating competition and how I and the thousands of people reading the story think they suck.

Prolly won’t do a thing, but at least now they know the rest of the interwebs knows what a bunch of doosh bags they are.

36. axiomatic says:

No matter what, ensure that Manager 1′s employment is terminated.

37. LiC says:

I disagree. Figure skating involves jumping and twirling, and those jumps are as difficult as the high jump in track. And the twirling…if you say gymnastics isn’t a sport, ok.

Oh yeah, and kudos to your parents for handling the face-to-face stuff, that can be pretty stressful.

38. bdgbill says:

This is not the first time I have heard of long standing reservations being cancelled when the hotel realizes it can charge $400.00+ per night because every room in the area is taken for an event.

Please do not let this go. The local media may actually jump on it since it involves a large local event (the skating thing) and the wedding angle will interest female viewers / readers.

Make that prick explain his “mold” comment with some tv cameras in his face.

The suggestion for finding the owner of the hotel is a good one too. There is usually a plaque near the front desk listing the owner and sometimes includes a phone number.

39. skrom says:

@INconsumer:

That’s fine. She can go waste $20,000 for something that lasts 4 hours while Ill have my $20,000 to use for something that Ill have for 50 years (a house)

40. P41 says:

So what would happen if they stood out front with a sign that said “Manager1 told me there’s mold in the rooms”. Start handing out flyers until the hotel makes a deal.

41. Brad2723 says:

Call the local news and tell your story, file a complaint with the hotel owner and the corporate office, demand you and your guests stay for free at the next best hotel and never do business with this brand again.

42. tylermorgan says:

I had no idea there were so many Reading/Berks Consumerist readers.
    Hopefully the people at the Sheraton do read this article, and do realize this is hurting their reputation. This story is probably something WFMZ or the Reading Eagle would pick up; I’ve seen both of them do stuff like this before. Good luck!
    -Tyler

43. tasselhoff76 says:

I once had a problem with a Sheraton in the Disney/Orlando area. I had booked and stayed at one hotel on my credit card but another one had also charged me. I reported it to the credit card company, which was able to get me additional info as to the hotels and I got in-touch with them. Their administrative back-office was extremely helpful. Maybe your credit card company could help you find an office for this hotel.

44. Anonymous says:

@skrom: were spending 5g’s. honeymoon and all.

45. KingPsyz says:

@venterminator:
    Mitch? Is that you?

46. bigrig says:

This is Calvin Rigatoni…just wanted to give an update. Since I wrote Ben early this week teh Sheraton has decided to make right. My mom was able to find rooms at an adjacent hotel ONLY after another large party cancelled their reservations. The Sheraton, which had eventually agreed to pay for all the rooms at a hotel nearly an hour away (and not an equivalent establishment by any stretch of the imagination) finally agreed to pay for the rooms we were able to secure nearby and threw in transportation costs as well. They still offered very very very little in the way of an apology or a good explanation for the apparent “mold problem” but I have to give them some credit for trying.

47. vanilla-fro says:

@skrom: dude, no it won’t. let her tell you that it will be. and if you are not a dude, ask your mom about it.

48. Anonymous says:

anyone else having trouble with this site?

49. Hawkins says:

Do you have anything in writing about the reservation? If so, I wonder if you can sue in small claims court to force the performance of the contract.

A judge might be inclined to accept a written reservation confirmation as a contract. And the fact that they’ve been big fat liars will irritate the judge.

It might be worth asking the clerk of the court.

Oh, and figure staking is most assuredly NOT a sport. “Sport” does not include activities where one is judged, subjectively, on elements that include your costume.

50. KingPsyz says:

well I just had several comments disapear…

51. Anonymous says:

@KingPsyz: mee too!!!!

52. Sudonum says:

@tasselhoff76:
    Unfortunately she’ll probably get the Accounting Department at that hotel. Not their corporate parents.

53. HeySuburbia says:

@skrom: Wow, a backyard wedding reception AND a $20,000 house? I’m surprised you don’t have to fight off girls with a stick!

54. Oceangrl22 says:

The hotel is managed by Meyer Jabara Hotels.

Northern Office
    Meyer Jabara Hotels
    7 Kenosia Avenue
    Danbury, CT 06810
    Tel. (203) 798-1099
    Fax. (203) 798-2620

[www.meyerjabarahotels.com]

If the management company isn’t helpful you should go to Starwood Corporate and have them help put you in touch with the brand manager specific for Sheraton and for that specific property.

55. humphrmi says:

@LiC: Mind you, I am NOT IN ANY WAY STATING that skating is not a sport.

But I think the point is, it’s not a measured sport. All of the other sports you mentioned (high jump, gymnastics) have measures to determine how good people are – how high, how long, etc.

Skating, on the other hand, can’t be measured and thus requires a panel of experts assigning a score. Extending that to track, it would be like a track meet ignoring the fastest runner and asking a panel to rate each runner for the winner.

Anyway, there should be a tag for stuff like this – “local” or something … my point being, I’d like to remember a year from now when I plan my next road trip what hotels have screwed people so I can make a point of not staying there. I travel through PA at least once a year on a road trip, and Reading is on my way to a couple of places I take the family. It’d be nice later to be able to find a list of which local businesses screw people so I can avoid them when I travel.

Just a thought.

56. Anonymous says:

sorry to post again, but it seems thats the only way i can see the posts others are doing. i hit refresh and all i get is posts before 3:57. but on the main page i can see that there have been more posts since then.

57. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@LiC:
    Gymnastics isn’t a sport. It’s a competition.

Stock Car Driving = not a sport

Target Shooting = not a sport

Any track & field event = not a sport

Luging = not a sport

58. Pope John Peeps II says:

Wow. It’s a good thing the Consumerist writers and commenters have taken up juding what is and isn’t a sport.

Can eye-rolling be a sport? Because after this, I’m at a professional level.

59. 12monkeys says:

@skrom: Great Idea if you are marrying your knocked up cousin from the next trailer over and her Dad (your father )is standing there in his pork rind stained wife-beater shirt, holding a shotgun……..

60. Anonymous says:

@Jaysyn: Main Entry: 2sport
    Function: noun
    1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
    2 a : PLEASANTRY , JEST b : often mean-spirited jesting : MOCKERY , DERISION
    3 a : something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b : LAUGHINGSTOCK
    4 a : SPORTSMAN b : a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship c : a companionable person
    5 : an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue
    synonym see FUN

61. Anonymous says:

Main Entry: 2sport
    Function: noun
    2 a : PLEASANTRY , JEST b : often mean-spirited jesting : MOCKERY , DERISION
    3 a : something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b : LAUGHINGSTOCK
    synonym see FUN

sorry if this is posted twice, can’t see previous post and consumerist has been deleting a lot of other posters comments.

62. CumaeanSibyl says:

Oh great, now it’s time for everybody to throw around judgmental classist/sexist crap about weddings. God forbid somebody should want things you don’t approve of. It doesn’t matter if these people are having ice sculptures, interpretive dancers, and Beluga caviar — the hotel is still in the wrong, no matter how much money they’re spending.

63. Cheve says:

@Murph1908: Totally agree, btw send pictures, we promise to unleash hell on sheraton!!!

(go consumerist readers!!)

64. 12monkeys says:

Beware of the disappearing posts…………..spooky

65. MercuryPDX says:

Thankfully, he didn’t wind up like this bride did. Kudos to the OP for keeping on top of the situation.

66. ludwigk says:

@CumaeanSibyl: For reals. This has nothing to do with weddings. For people ragging on weddings, just replace ‘wedding’ with “emergency physicians meeting to save you, your family, and everyone you care for from some terrible disease”

..and its not about Figure Skating either, which is a sport. Seriously, its an activity involving physical exertion and skill where an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment (this is the definition of a sport, by the way).

But really, *this is the story*: Company A said they would deliver X, where X is a series of smaller promises, {x1, x2…xy}. Customer B calls to confirm X several times. At the last minute, Company A says, they will not be delivering X, and cannot give a consistent reason why. In fact, they lie to the Customer A as to why. Later on, it is revealed that Company A could not deliver X, because they gave {x1, x2…xy} to Customer B instead.

Should Company A honor their promises? Should Company A lie to their customers? Discuss.

67. SugarRob says:

@Murph1908: Actually, that’s Mitch Hedberg. Cut from the same cloth, though.

68. UpsetPanda says:

@CumaeanSibyl: Agreed! All this banter on the worthiness of weddings is only proving that naysayers who say, ‘live and let live’ only want other people to live according to how those naysayers see fit. Personally, I think weddings are nice. They can be cheap (backyard, hot dogs) or they can be expensive (Ritz-Carlton). It’s not up to anyone else but the people getting married to judge whether their wedding was worth the cost. If you’re not the one getting married, shush.

Hotel screwed up royally, I say the couple should escalate this and get corporate involved.

But hey, on the other hand your roof could cave in… [www.abc2news.com]

The article doesn’t mention it, but there was a wedding scheduled for this weekend at that hotel.

69. howie_in_az says:

In addition to Oceangrl22‘s suggestion, I’d remind Sheraton management that I’d be informing all the guests at the wedding about the incident with Sheraton, and urge those guests to tell their friends and so forth.

Hell I’d even call up the skating people and inform them as to what the Sheraton did.

70. magic8ball says:

@MissJ: Totally! Plus, a big wedding isn’t always just for the bride. Sometimes the parents and/or other family members are the ones who are pushing for the lavish display.

71. Anonymous says:

@howie_in_az: Hell I’d even call up the skating people and inform them as to what the Sheraton did

thank you. i have said that twice already.

72. SVreader says:

Re: the update–
    So glad they’ve got rooms finally. What a fiasco that would have been!

73. jaubele1 says:

A room block was “reserved,” but was a contract ever signed? If so you may have some remedies related to a failure to deliver upon the terms of the contract. Beyond that however, each individual guest may be entitled to some compensation.

Hotels relocate guests holding guaranteed reservations quite frequently — I can remember working as a reservation manager for a Hyatt Hotel and walking a few hundred one weekend because our sales department screwed up — and the hotel always pays one night room & tax at a new hotel for the relocated guest.

Now, this hotel sounds like it might be the worst hotel in the world — nothing like creating a b.s. story about mold in an effort to hide the true motivation of the property management team — but if you contact *Starwood* corporate offices (the corporate parent of Sheraton, Westin, et al) you are likely to be treated with far more consideration.

The contact information for Starwood is:

Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
    1111 Westchester Avenue
    White Plains, NY 10604
    Phone (914) 640-8100
    Fax (914) 640-8310

74. marsneedsrabbits says:

To be fair, your wedding party isn’t nearly as important as a bunch of skaters. I guess you’re lucky they didn’t charge you for the skater’s rooms. /s/

Seriously? This is one of the worst things I’ve ever heard of a hotel doing. I really hope you get total satisfaction. Please report back after everything is over. I have a choice when I travel as far as hotels, & will gladly avoid Sheraton/Weston if outrageous lies and broken promises is how they do business.

75. Anonymous says:

I live down the street from that hotel. You are better off elsewhere. How nice can a hotel with a Hooters in the parking lot possibly be?

in my experience in that place, it’s pretty old an beat anyway!

76. upokyin says:

So Rick Santorum was right! They are trying to ruin the institution of marriage.

77. frogman31680 says:

Believe it or not, this does not surprise me. I’ve worked in some local hotels and they make the language for reserving a block of rooms very confusing. One gave you three different dates that you had to call and confirm on and if you missed one, bye bye rooms.

One hotel went so far as to reserve 5 rooms at 2 local hotels because they were super 8′s and the rate was at least half of our price. Plus local hotels get a rock bottom discount. Here is why.

In a hotel that has 85 rooms, you take in reservations for 95 rooms. On average, 10 rooms usually cancel a night. So doing the math, you are back to right on the nose full capacity. Now, if they don’t cancel, we were told to tell them that their room had to be put out of service because the customer before damaged something. Then we tell them that we will get them a room locally, we will pay for the full cost of the room, gave them a five dollar phone card to let their family know they are somewhere else and then send them on their way. Now, their room that was going to be $85.00 cost them nothing. We look great cause we just shelled out the money for them to stay somewhere, so they are guaranteed to come back. We owe the other hotel a grand total of $15.00 for their room, and their suite only cost $45 a night to the customer because it was a shitty place. But we still look golden.

God I love the hospitality business.

78. frogman31680 says:

Oh, here are some more tricks that we have been taught to try to rip off the consumer.

1. We know EVERYONE asks for a discount. So, when you ask how much the room is, we tell you upfront, “We’ll give you the AAA rate at $XX.00 a night.” When actually we just gave you the full rate. Yeah, we’re trained to lie. Tip – If you were given the AAA rate, it would state that on your receipt. If it doesn’t, complain.

2. This one got everyone and my boss knew it. If you travel with pets, everyone has a “Pet Charge” for extra cleaning. Big surprise, we rarely do any extra cleaning for pet rooms. But here was the trick. We were instructed to add the $15.00 pet charge to the room rate. So our Average Room Rate would look better because your $45.00 room just “Sold” for $60.00. The reason why this is a rip, your not supposed to charge tax for a pet charge. The City, State, and municipality taxes where I worked came to a total of 13.5% tax. So, not only did you get screwed for the pet charge, you got slammed with the additional taxes.

There were a lot of tricks that we were told to do and get away with. So, keep your eyes peeled. Think something doesn’t look right, question it.

79. Anonymous says:

I called.

Told them I wanted a room for two nights, two adults, and I wanted rates. They gave me rates, and then I asked about this.

The figure skaters have a larger contract and they have to be accomodated. Sounds very consumer-oriented, right? I asked for more details, like what the resolution was, and she said she couldn’t give anything more to me since she was not allowed to and she didn’t know – only management did. I asked for management, who wasn’t there.

And I hung up.

80. Charles Duffy says:

@skrom: Try $2000. Weddings aren’t that expensive, if you aren’t insane.

81. dualityshift says:

@INconsumer: With not notification that the rooms were cancelled, I do think Sheraton would have legal worries, especially the day of check-in for the guests, and/or if they accepted any monies to hold the rooms. 30 displaced guests make for a good lawsuit.

82. dualityshift says:

@skrom: Wow! You really are an idiot. This is only the second article I read this morning and you’ve shown your lack of intelligence not once, but twice. Good show.

83. Teh1337Pirate says:

I seem to think murdering all the skaters and hotel staff seems like a reasonable retaliation to what they did.

84. chartrule says:

Sheraton Hotels and Resorts is Starwood Hotels & Resorts’ largest and second oldest brand (Westin being the oldest). Starwood’s headquarters are in White Plains, New York.

this is their corporate contact info

[www.starwoodhotels.com]

Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
    1111 Westchester Avenue
    White Plains, NY 10604
    Phone (914) 640-8100
    Fax (914) 640-8310

85. chartrule says:

If I were the original poster I would contact their parent company and complain (see above)

86. chartrule says:

oops I see someone already posted the corporate info

SORRRY

87. magus_melchior says:

@INconsumer: Re: vanishing posts, I think that’s because there’s more than one database server containing comment text, and one happens to be updating less quickly than normal. That one happens to be providing the data for the web application, so the comments you post take longer than normal to appear.

Just a guess. (working as a support tech for datacenter admins)

88. dbltrouble says:

You’ve already done much just by posting here.

Personally, I would write the CEO – Frits van Paasschen
    Chief Executive Officer, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc at the White Plains NY address. You may e-mail, but I would definitely send a physical letter. (Note: there are differences if it makes it to the top management office versus some division, etc. It’s called, not allowing some underling to hide the dirt.)

Explain the situation. It may help to include your expectations from them – then and now. (What do you want? What can they do to make things “right”, or at least better?) Note the corporation’s missions statement:

>Our values serve as the guide for how we treat our customers, our owners, our shareholders and our associates. We aspire to these values to make Starwood a great place to work and do business.

We succeed only when we meet and
    exceed the expectations of our customers,
    owners and shareholders. We have a passion for
    excellence and will deliver the highest
    standards of integrity and fairness. We celebrate
    the diversity of people, ideas and cultures.
    We honor the dignity and value of
    individuals working as a team. We improve the
    communities in which we work.
    We encourage innovation, accept
    accountability and embrace change.
    We seek knowledge and growth through learning.
    We share a sense of urgency, nimbleness
    and endeavor to have fun too.<

At the very least, that first manager did not live up to that credo. (For all that the Westin, Sheraton, W and Le Meridian tout their decor and beds, it’s the customer service that keeps the Ritz and Four Seasons at the top.)

89. bigrig says:

@dbltrouble: OP here…its funny you mention that, because when my parents went to speak with them on Monday my dad had a printed copy of that mission statement which he handed to the manager and suggested that he read it on his lunch break, haha.

90. XTC46 says:

@skrom: I partially agree with you. I don’t want a big wedding.

And to everyone hating on him, not all women want a huge wedding. I have several friends who just went to a courthouse got married then had a party at their place.(some from wealthy families so it wasn’t a money concern) My girlfriend wants something small and casual, so we will probably have something small at our favorite beach (I’m in Hawaii)

91. XTC46 says:

“More than just the importance of keeping promises, a real wedding is more important than a fake sport.”

hehe good stuff. Although, even if its not a “sport” I have to give props to anyone who can move around on a slick surface and do BACK FLIPS and all kinds of cool spins and jumps then not fall.

92. technotica says:

The same thing happened for my wedding. There was a large event in the nearest town to our wedding, however I found a hotel that would accept a room block for my guests. AFTER I sent the invitations, I had guests telling me that they we didn’t have a block of rooms available. The bastards at the hotel didn’t even bother to contact me!

After I called them several times without a call back, I stormed into the lobby and demanded to see a manager. This is the one and only time I went Bridezilla on someone. They basically screwed us over with the rooms, but threw in a free night stay at a later day (whoopie doo).

Some guests found rooms closer to the wedding (new hotel), but others had to stay 30 miles away. Needless to say I do not do any business with this hotel. Although I did use up the free room like a good little consumerist. And stole all their ice…mwhahaha.

93. CyGuy says:

Sounds like it’s resolved, but given the original situation, I think your best bet would be to either get the hotel to provide a written explanation that the cancellation was due to mold, or record your conversation with the manager (with notification that you are doing so) and then first provide this to both the other local manager and corporate, and if this doesn’t work, provide it to the press – maybe the fact that the hotel is full of mold will convince enough other guests of the hotel to cancel that you would get your rooms. (I’ve been to this hotel, and I can’t say that a mold problem wouldn’t be out of the question.)

BTW, it’s a very strange hotel, it has a wing that isn’t attached to other rooms other than through the lobby. Also, it has a shopping/fashion theme apparently trying to tie-in within Reading’s fame as on outlet store mecca. Then there is a Comedy Club located in the middle of hotel which seems out of character with the rest of the hotel and which brings in a lot drinking patrons right into the center of the building as the comedy club, as far as I could tell, has no entrance of it’s own. Lastly, parking there was a b*tch – which I blame on poor parking lot design.

94. dbltrouble says:

BigRig: I sent an email to Sherwood’s customer service to see if they were aware of the negative publicity they were getting. The response:

>Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide has a company value
    where we succeed only when we meet and exceed the
    expectations of our customers. We have a passion for
    excellence in our service and meeting customer
    satisfaction. Through each comment we receive both
    positive and negative, we are able to seek knowledge
    and growth to better serve our business and leisure
    travelers.

Please be assured that Starwood Hotels & Resorts
    Worldwide and Starwood Preferred Guest strive to
    maintain the highest quality of customer service. Our
    Starwood Corporate Customer Services Department handles
    all guests concerns that are brought to our attention
    via our e-mail (customercare@starwoodhotels.com) or
    phone number (1-800-328-6242). Situations that we are
    made aware of are handled in accordance with our
    policies and procedures and would be resolved with the
    party or parties that have personal involvement in the
    case. We thank you for bringing this situation to our
    attention.

We appreciate your patronage of Starwood Hotels and
    Resorts Worldwide. If you have any further customer
    service questions or concerns, please feel free to
    contact us at customercare@starwoodhotels.com .

Best Regards,

Lindsay Michelle Traichevich
    Specialist, Corporate Customer Service Department
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

Sounds like the one thing that will make this better is some sounds of sympathy if not empathy for the headache.

95. polyeaster says:

Just popping back in- I don’t really know why anyone wants to start the discussion of whether or not figure skating is a sport…bottom line here is the hotel did something jacked up, not the figure skaters.

And for the folk who claimed figure skating is not a sport, why don’t you get out on the ice and try to do even a single jump without falling all over yourself…try any basic jumping or spinning skill-then come back and talk about whether or not it’s really a sport. There’s a reason skaters train so much…it’s not an easy SPORT.