Southwest Gate Agent Entertains Passengers With Ukelele

A reader writes in, “The airlines get so much crap, its nice to see at least some employees stepping up to make things more bearable.” A few months ago, a Southwest Airlines gate agent in Phoenix amused delayed passengers with a live performance of Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl.” He even gets the passengers to sing along at one point.

We’re not huge fans of the ukelele, but this is a lot better than that time we were stranded at JFK and the Delta gate agent stared coldly at us as he recited the words to NIN’s “Closer” into the PA system.

Plug in your work headphones and get ready to rock out classic-easy-listening-style.

Gate Agent Plays Ukelele [YouTube] (Thanks to Brent!)

Comments

1. B says:

I don’t know how “Ukulele” and “more bearable” can be used in the same article.

2. PinkBox says:

Ha, not bad!

3. deserthiker says:

NIN’s “Closer”

Greatest Love Song EVER!

4. junkmail says:

LOL cool. And B, how dare you impugn the integrity of the ukulele. ;)

5. Hey — at least he was trying.

6. georgeclay says:

I can’t believe that guy is still there. I had a layover almost 3 years ago. This same guy sang the same song.

7. LeJerque says:

@structuralpoke: Exactly. You see this? This is why Southwest is my favorite airline. They hire actual PEOPLE. Even when a situation is completely beyond their control, dammit, they still try. Their employees are largely inventive, humorous, and above all, good-natured. I have never once had a problem with Southwest’s customer service, unlike other airlines, whose employees trend towards surly and short-tempered.

Granted, I have also never worn a mini-skirt, but you take my meaning, I’m sure.

8. hypnotik_jello says:

wait, the gate agent/Southwest hasn’t been sued by ASCAP/RIAA yet for public performance?

9. Anonymous says:

say what you want about southwest, but this is cool. i like to see people who are comfortable with themselves having fun! thats what life is about, and apparently this guy takes advantage of every minute.

10. internal says:

Amazing. Makes me want to fly SWA everytime. How in the world do you foster a corporate culture within such a large organization that would not only allow this, but promote it?

11. llcooljabe says:

Ukulele virtuoso

12. CapitalC says:

Even if he’s the only one who made an effort it’s still better than many other airlines.

13. 4ster says:

I’m just waiting for the RIAA to come after Southwest now.

14. Trai_Dep says:

Ukelales? Okay. But the second they start in with the mimes, out comes my gun. Err, nail clippers. Err, unregistered water bottle.

15. ElizabethD says:

Gaaah, I’m in love with that gate agent! That was awesome. He’s better than 90% of the candidates on American Idol. Rock on, brotha!

(And I love that song. Sha la la la la la la la-la la-la ti-dah.)

16. Anonymous says:

anyone else having trouble with this site?

17. Antediluvian says:

Now you’ve done it. The RIAA will be all over this like flies on, well, flies on RIAA actually. No public performances! Naughty, naughty. Can’t even play your radio too loud these days without someone thinking you’re violating copyright.

18. Antediluvian says:

And I promise 4ster that your comment did not appear on my screen until the magical letters RIAA had been posted by me.

That song stuck in your head? Cough up the dough for the rights.

19. hypnotik_jello says:

Hmm, what happened to my comment at 12:40PM? Comments glitching or what? It showed up to the post and now it’s gone again. Glitch or Censorship, what’s the deal?

20. STrRedWolf says:

-2 for two customers, but +1 for entertainment.

21. nardo218 says:

*giggle* This is delightful.

Last time I flew over Christmas, the Philly airport had an 8 person choir dressed like Dickens characters (not the destitute ones) caroling from one gate to the next. Good songs, Santa-free.

22. Cheve says:

You have to give this guy a thumbs up for effort, it’s easy to keep customers happy, as easy as not being a total asshole , btw, he ain’t that bad on the ukulele thing either.

23. Omir The Storyteller says:

Southwest’s flight attendants crack me up. Once one of them asked us to pretend to pay attention to the safety lecture and promised us that if we did, in the unlikely event of a water landing we could use our seat cushions as floatation devices and could keep them as souvenirs of the experience. Another got on the PA system as we were taxiing to our destination and serenaded us briefly to the tune of the Barney theme:

We love you,
    You love us,
    We’re much faster than a bus . . .

24. Lyn Never says:

Several years ago, on an ATA flight, we were serenaded by the pilot on harmonica while waiting in line for takeoff. He also got on the PA at the gate and said that we were free to make fun of people holding up the boarding process by trying to jam their gigantic “carry on” suitcases into the overhead bins. I loved that pilot.

25. ludwigk says:

Not half bad. Better than I thought it would be, although his chord mashing was a bit simplistic.

26. UpsetPanda says:

You know what would make this better? Pizza. [consumerist.com]

27. sporks says:

Why oh why can Southwest not fly out of my city? The company is pretty much the only major airline to actually seem like they care about their customers. And, Southwest flies big planes all the time, not little dinky regional jets. For those two reasons alone I can be in love with Southwest, but there’s still more. And that guy was pretty good on the ukulele, I do have to say.

28. R3PUBLIC0N says:

Whoever this Brent guy is that submitted the article, be aware he made my day with that NIN bit.