First Radiohead, then NIN and now Madonna is said to be dumping her record label, Warner Music. [Bloomberg]

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

the music industry is bs.

2. Gari N. Corp says:

Wow, Warner even gave her, in Maverick, her OWN VANITY LABEL, and still they could not keep her happy. I wonder what will happen to the home of artists such as Michelle Branch, Alanis Morissette, and Candlebox? Oh wait, she already sold it back to them. Smart cookie

3. MonkeyMonk says:

Congrats to Madonna if she goes through with this. Eventually artists need to realize that the big labels and RIAA aren’t serving them well with their boundless greed and shady tactics. The big labels are literally turning an entire generation against them and the artists they represent.

4. Fuzz says:

HAHAHAHA!

I can’t wait to see these dinosaurs die. DIE DIE DIE!!! LOL.

5. llcooljabe says:

What does this have to do with RIAA,now? Doesn’t Live Nation have a relationship with RIAA?

6. sub-culture says:

Silicon Alley Insider quoted some WSJ and did a writeup on what this deal means for both her old and new labels. It’ll be interesting to see how Live Nation will recoup on its investment. It seems like Madonna simply dumped Warner because Live Nation upped the ante and is taking a risk of their own in getting her.
    [www.alleyinsider.com]

7. kazkernel says:

I don’t see a big difference between Live Nation and Warner Brothers. I think this deal is insane for Live Nation. $18 million signing and $17 mil advance per record. Crazy money for a washed up 50 year old who will be 60 at the end of the contract. I guess it depends on the split of the touring and merchandise money.

Well I guess I am wrong in my assumptions according to this: [en.wikipedia.org]

Still the idea of the “record company” making money off of merchandise and touring is a bad precedent for smaller bands/performers who make all of their money from touring and merchandise.

Any way I don’t think Live Nation will be any more benevolent than the existing record companies.

8. Zgeg says:

Sounds to me like the biz is moving away from making the money on records and making it off touring and merchandising, these two areas used to be reserved for the artist. I think its a good model as long as the artists can get some decent upfront money and the Labels take on all the risk..

9. axiomatic says:

If I were an artist, and saw my record company trying to weasel in on my touring money I would be looking for ways to get out of my contract FAST!

10. MYarms says:

Whoa Madonna is leaving one multi-million dollar company and going to another one. Why is this news?