Environmental Group Says Curious George Doll Is Tainted With Lead

The Center for Environmental Health says they’ve tested a Curious George doll that is currently on stores shelves and found that it contains more than “ten times the legal lead limit”, prompting Marvel Entertainment Group to stop new shipments from China.

The toy hasn’t been pulled from stores or recalled because Marvel wants to confirm the tests. “If we find a problem, we will do a recall, it’s the only appropriate thing to do,” a Marvel spokesperson said.

Caroline Cox, spokesperson for the CEH, told the Boston Globe: “”I was quite shocked. We have never seen a toy with levels so high.”

Group: Curious George doll tainted with lead [Boston Globe]
Health Group Takes Action to Get the Lead Out of Toys [CES]

Comments

1. emona says:

They don’t want to pull the toys until the tests are confirmed?! Am I the ONLY person who believes the old ‘better safe than sorry’ method? When it comes to lead tainted children’s toys, at the very least.

2. backbroken says:

My child loves Curious George and I almost bought one of these dolls for him.

Can we make a list of toys that are confirmed to be safe? Seems like it would be easier.

3. joeblevins says:

‘Better safe than sorry’ That is silly. Can a company just pull every single toy they have until they test EVERY SINGLE item? That is unreasonable. Take the time (reasonable time) and test it. If bad pull it.

How dangerous is it really? I keep reading in blogs and news rags that our children will immediatly turn into mongoloids if they walk into a toy store that has lead contamanated toys. What is the truth?

4. mopar_man says:

That’s sad but true. I’m going to make a valiant effort to buy non-Chinese toys for Christmas this year.

5. OnceWasCool says:

I was curious about this one myself.

6. emona says:

@joeblevins: Unless I read the story wrong, it was tested. It was positive. Pull the toy. Odds that one toy has 10 times the legal amount of lead is slim.

It isn’t silly to want to protect your customers. Sadly, it’s also not profitable or even all that common.

7. backbroken says:

I have no problem with the company waiting to pull the toy until they have verified that the toy contains lead. However, why does it take the company longer than half a day to test the product after hearing about possible contamination?

8. Anonymous says:

@backbroken: agreed.

9. scarletvirtue says:

I remember something similar happening years ago with my Curious George doll – the writing on George’s shirt was found to contain lead in the paint, so there was a recall on the dolls. My parents just told me that Curious George had to go to the hospital because he was sick.

… It did seem odd that the hospital he went to was the department store where he was purchased.

10. taka2k7 says:

Wait, are we talking about Curious George or George W Bush? If it’s the latter that would explain the incompetence.

11. Hambriq says:

@taka2k7:

Ho ho ho. My sides are splitting from that biting political commentary. You should write political cartoons. No, seriously. You should. Like, right now.