The House is currently debating H.R. 3056, which would ban the IRS from commissioning private debt collectors to scare up back taxes owed to the government. Each successful collection earns the private collector a 25% commission, providing a powerful incentive to employ deceptive tactics. The measure should sail effortlessly through the House, but its fate in the Senate remains murky. [GovExec]
More From Consumerist
- Provision In Highway Funding Bill Would Require The IRS To Use Private Debt Collectors
- Some Debt Collectors Get Away With Shady Behavior When Collecting Debt For Government
- Robocalling Phantom Debt Collector Accused Of Harassing, Defrauding Consumers
- Is It Time For Regulators To Stab Zombie Debt Through The Brain?
- U.S. Department Of Education Cuts Ties With Five Debt Collection Agencies To Protect Borrowers