Delta Downgrades Frequent Flyer Miles

Upgrade: Travel Better informs us that ever so lightly, Delta adjusted its frequent-flyer redemption policy to make it worse for travelers:

Effective December 1, 2007, SkyChoice Award Ticket Reservations will no longer be available on every Delta flight in which a seat is available for sale. SkyChoice Award Ticket Reservations will continue to be available on most Delta flights, but seats will be limited and possibly unavailable on some flights.

Nudge. Nudge. Nudge. At this rate, some day you’ll actually have to pay a fine for accumulating frequent flyer miles.

Another stab in the back of frequent flyers [Upgrade: Travel Better]

Comments

1. humphrmi says:

Aren’t frequent flier programs officially called “Customer Appreciation Programs?” So isn’t Delta, in effect here, saying that they appreciate their customers just a little less in December than they did before?

Frankly if I were a regular Delta customer, I’d be offended.

2. dirty foreigner says:

I’ve been trying to use my Delta miles to fly somewhere, but it’s quite difficult. I just checked online again, and while it’s supposed to be 25k miles for a free flight, I’ve only been finding tickets requiring either 35k or 50k. So as of December the program is going to be even worse? What exactly is there slogan anyway? Delta: when you have no other choice.

3. AlexPDL says:

Hmmmm souldn’t they rename the program something other than SkyChoice Awards? Maybe… No-Choice Ground Incentives?

4. azntg says:

I know I’m talking about a different airline, but recently Asiana Airlines has sent me a survey to complete about frequent flier miles program, and if the choices available for me to pick are indicators of what they’re planning to do with the program, it’s absolutely dismaying. I don’t know why I even filled out the survey, basically since all the answer choices were “rigged” (for the lack of a better word) to pick “our preferences” as in: having to pony up even more miles to get a blackout-eligible trans-Pacific flight, etc. Interesting though that they seem to have a fetish for trying to get other places where we can “use” our mileage points.

No thanks, I prefer that miles be accumulated by flying and used for flying, with a reasonable # of miles required to get a free flight.

5. bilge says:

I’ve long given up on using airlines miles for travel. Instead I head over to points.com and get gift certificates.

6. magic8ball says:

Glad I used up my Delta miles last summer.

7. ju-ju-eyeball says:

Consumers should be able to use miles as cash when buying a ticket. 100 miles = $1.00 and you should be able to buy any ticket you want. Problem solved.

Are listening airlines???

8. IRSistherootofallevil says:

No, that would mean airline miles would actually have to mean something. Those frequent flyer miles mean nothing other than a means to make you “feel” like they care.