Look For Travel Bargains On Country-Specific Websites

When you’re looking online for flights or car rentals, consider trying the country-specific versions of popular travel websites, suggests the New York Times. In at least some cases, the price difference can be more than 50%.

There are lots of caveats, however. Most round-trip tickets will require the originating point to be within that country, so you’ll have to already be there in order to take advantage of cheap flights. There can also be hidden costs in extra liability fees that don’t show up until the car rental company realizes you’re a non-citizen. And many websites will require a local credit card to make a purchase, so the article suggests you have friends, your company’s local office, or even a local travel agent make the purchase for you—the agent’s fees will likely be worth the extra savings.

“When the Best Deals Don’t End in .Com” [New York Times]

Comments

1. The photo is too cute.
    I’d comment on the article but I don’t fly.

2. jamar0303 says:

Example- for hotel stays in Japan try Livedoor. They’ll point you in the direction of some more obscure hotels that have all the amenities of the big-name hotels but for much cheaper (I can find decent hotels in central Tokyo with wireless internet for less than $50/night).

3. Die_Fledermaus says:

This doesn’t work so well when your destination is the UK. Chances are the travel company just exchanged a $ for a £ and the price will be 200% more as a result. Same applies to a lesser extent for Euro using countries. In these cases pay in $.

4. TechnoDestructo says:

Buying the same international plane ticket (just about anywhere, at least in Asia) from South Korea costs like 2/3 or 3/4 as much as buying it from the US.

Unfortunately, South Korea has a law that all E-commerce sites…and pretty much any site that might EVER charge for ANYTHING does this…must require their equivalent of a Social Security number for all users.

So if you’re thinking of doing this for Korea, forget it.

5. Kurtz says:

“There can also be hidden costs in extra liability fees that don’t show up until the car rental company realizes you’re a non-citizen.”

They’re likely to care more if you’re a non-resident than a non-citizen. There’s a big difference between the two.

6. msthe8r says:

Seriously. Compare prices on autoeurope.com and auto-europe.co.uk.
    Same company. Huge savings. I booked a car in Denmark through the UK website last summer, paid in pounds, and saved nearly a hundred dollars. No extra fees. No hassles. Drove the car, returned the car, saved big.

7. jamar0303 says:

@TechnoDestructo: Ouch. You could get around that by having a Korean friend/acquaintance book the tickets for you, I suppose…

8. Her Grace says:

If I wasn’t ultimately really happy with our flights, I would regale the Consumerist with my tale of woe trying to book from Melbourne to Greensboro, North Carolina. Oh crap, it sucked. Also? Qantas? Jerkfaces who won’t fly me to Greensboro, even though the within-US flights would be with their oneworld partner, AA, who are happily flying me to Greensboro.

Yeah, it would have been easier, in terms of paying for the tickets, had I used an Australian service. I would have gotten a mildly better price and not have to have gone through about a week’s worth of holds and delays. But I got precisely what I wanted with the American company down to the seat choices–and on the long-haul from Melbourne to LA, having the seats you want is crucial.