10 credit cards that give you fat airline mile bonuses for signing up. Also, 9 more that do the same, but have an annual fee. [FiveCentNickle]

Comments

1. IRSistherootofallevil says:

Those kinds of rewards are stupid. Cashback and/or reward programs with actual monetary value (starbucks duetto) are the only meaningful rewards. Airline miles have too many blackout dates anyway.

2. BobCoyote says:

Sorry… but “Nickle”?

3. kingoman says:

Frontier Airlines’ Juniper Bank card ought to be there. I agree, most of these programs are nearly scams with all the blackouts, but Frontier has no blackouts (although they do throttle the number of seats available through miles).

But I fly to Denver (their hub) a lot, so it works well for me. If you get one where it works for you, then you can do well. I get better return for Denver flights that I was going to buy anyway than if I got cash back on my Capital One card.

I’d have to question cash back for Starbuck’s as being valuable. I want cash back on something I truly was going to buy. If I had cashback for Starbucks, then of course I *would* use it, but would I have spend that money otherwise? Probably not.

4. IRSistherootofallevil says:

Well, as a college student, I kinda LIVE on Starbucks….

5. Antediluvian says:

@BobCoyote: It looks like the actual link spells it “nickel.” I dunno about the site itself since I haven’t followed the link.

6. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… We here in FiveCentNickel land still love Ben even if he spells Nickel like Pickle. ;)

7. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… We here in FiveCentNickel-land still love Ben even if he spells Nickel like Pickle.

8. Geekybiker says:

I disagree. In terms over % return for rewards, airline miles are probably the most valuable thing you can get from your rewards card. Black out dates suck but you can find times to fly. Example- the flight from my home to my parents is typically a $550-600 flight. That’s 2.4% rewards assuming you never get double miles or a huge chunk of miles for signing up. I can get to the carribean for 30k miles, some of the places I go cost nearly $1600 for a ticket. That’s a 5.3% return.

If you sign up for the card to get the 20k mile bonus and then cancel once you’ve got your first ticket, they are a fantastic reward.

Just dont use your free tickets for stupid little $200 puddle jumper flights.