Premiere Bathrooms Swindles Parkinson's Afflicted Elderly For $15,000 Bathtub

“My grandmother informs them once they are done that she will not be paying them any more money, and that this has gone to the states attorney’s office. On hearing this, one of the installers gets on his cell phone and calls his boss. They talk, he hangs up and walks into the bathroom and proceeds to take off the tub door. He walks out of the bathroom with this door and my grandmother says what are you doing and grabs the door…”

For $15,000 That bathtub better be coated in gold, and dispense liquid chocolate. Oh wait, it doesn’t, and they didn’t finish the job, and now the scam plumbers are leaving harassing phone calls and trying to steal doors and parts from the work site.

Hello,

My name is Dawn Green, and I’m writing on behalf of my grandparents. My 83 year old grandfather was hospitalized for 21 days and was told he would have to go to a nursing home if his bathroom wasn’t fitted for his needs( he has Parkinson’s). In a panic, my grandmother contacted Premier bathrooms after seeing television ads and ads in the VFW newsletter.

They sent out a salesman who knew of their situation, and he told them if they signed up that day, he would knock off $2000.00 to make the total $15,259.00. My grandmother did this as she didn’t want my grandfather to go to the nursing home. She paid $5000.00 by certified check that day, and was told another $5259.00 would be due when the tub arrived. It arrived on August 27th, 2007 and on the next day the installers came out. They ripped out the existing tub and started to do the plumbing for the new one. After they had left that evening, my grandparents thought something looked funny so they had a family friend who is a licensed plumber come take a look at it. He said this is all wrong, and he called the plumbing inspector to take a look. The inspector showed up the morning of August 29th, 2007, and asked the installers to show him their licenses, and they had none, so he shut them down. One of these installers went into the bathroom and stole a drain part to stop the new plumber from finishing the job. The inspector called and threatened them that if this part was not there the next day, he would be filing charges with the police. It arrived the next day.

In the meantime, the licensed plumber finished the plumbing portion and my grandfather came home from the hospital with a catheter, and they had to wait until September 17th, 2007 to get the installers back to thier house to finish. This installation was supposed to take 2 days, it should have been done on August 29th.

They show up on September 17th, and started finishing this, my mother had contacted the Illinois States Attorney General’s Office, and the advocate tells them DO NOT pay the last $5000.00, you have been overcharged. My grandmother informs them once they are done that she will not be paying them any more money, and that this has gone to the states attorney’s office. On hearing this, one of the installers gets on his cell phone and calls his boss. They talk, he hangs up and walks into the bathroom and proceeds to take off the tub door. He walks out of the bathroom with this door and my grandmother says what are you doing and grabs the door. They have a tug of war over it and my mother intervenes and tells him to leave or she is calling the police. He leaves the house and goes into their garage and my mom follows him and says I told you to leave, and he starts sweeping the garage floor. She tells him again and he finally says fine and gets in to the truck and takes off.

September 18th, 2007. Now the phone calls start. This company is calling saying they are in breach of their contract, and it needs to be settled. My grandmother informs them they should take it up with the states attorney’s office and hangs up. This job was to be done in 2 days, per the contract, so they are in breach on their end as well. There have been more phone calls and my grandmother has filed phone harassment charges with the local police.

I honestly hope that something can be done to prevent other elderly or disabled people from being taken advantage of like my family has.

Premier Bathrooms is an international manufacturer with sales offices around the world and different regions within the US. The grandmother could have protected herself better by comparison shopping in advance to see what would have been a reasonable price to pay. That way she would know it wasn’t a good deal at 15k or 13k. However, the salesman probably played on her fears of her husband being sent back to hospital in order to rush her into the contract. Mrs. Green’s experience may be limited to one rogue sales office, but that doesn’t mitigate its nastiness. Shame upon thee, Premier Bathrooms of Illinois. There’s a special place in hell for those who try to rip off old people. It has no working plumbing.

Comments

1. joeblevins says:

Old people get scammed? Go figure…

Scary that they can just fork over 15k without even shopping around. I don’t have that kind of scratch.

2. ScramDiggyBooBoo says:

Its disgusting when i see elderly people getting taken advantage of. Shame on them is right! With so many elderly that are sent to rot in Nursing homes until they die, this lady actually desperately needed these peoples help, and they played on that. Greed is going to kill this country (more than it already has).

3. Canadian Impostor says:

@joeblevins: She might not have had $15,000 but that might have still been cheaper than paying for the man she loves to live far away from her in a nursing home.

4. He leaves the house and goes into their garage and my mom follows him and says I told you to leave, and he starts sweeping the garage floor.

He decides to sweep? WTF?

I wonder if they’ve even tried talking to the Attorney’s Office or if they think they can scare them into paying.

@joeblevins: They almost certainly would have shopped around if she hadn’t panicked over her husband being put in a nursing home but she obviously felt this was an emergency.

5. @Rectilinear Propagation: Hmmm…that reads like I think she overreacted which isn’t what I meant to say.

6. newlywed says:

there needs to be a law about people without licenses having to go to jail for performing work (or pay a huge fine) and the people who hire them having to suffer double. IT IS THE ONLY WAY THIS PRACTICE WILL CEASE.

7. nursetim says:

Sure was a ripoff. We spent 10k to redo our bathroom, and that involved tearing everything out down to the studs and sub floor, and putting in all new everything. Everyone involved has a spot reserved in the deepest circle of hell for this.

8. balthisar says:

I don’t see where the company’s completely evil here. Yeah, maybe they quoted high, but it was an honest quote. Old people need to be smarter and shop around, even when they’re stressed (this goes for people of all ages when dealing with the funeral business, too, for example).

This story’s *really* about: (1) company used unlicensed plumbers; (2) company didn’t finish the job per the contract. I’d like to see the contract, because I bet there’s a clause relating to not being able to finish on time for various reasons, and it’s obvious she’s not savvy enough to have written a penalty clause into the contract for failure to perform by such and such date.

Don’t be emotional — this isn’t about “old people”; the company used unlicensed plumbers, and the old lady didn’t pay her bill per a legal contract. Shame on BOTH of them.

9. mindshadow says:

Wow. Fucking sick.

10. newlywed says:

@BALTHISAR – I totally agree. It’s not just old people who this happen to – it’s the very large percentage of consumers who are completely uneducated from birth about comparison shopping, haggling, contracts, etc…and there are plenty of poor AND rich people, young AND old, who fall for crap like this because they don’t know to cover their bases or are ‘too busy.’ The ‘too busy folks,’ it’s their fault, but for the uneducated, it’s not necessarily a crime to overcharge (though that is pretty bad, too) but to use the unlicensed, shoddy contractors who dont’ finish the work.

11. Obtusegoose says:

So how much was she overcharged? If the states attorney knew how much it was suppose to cost, they couldn’t get Premier Bathrooms to do the job at the “real” price?

12. Amy Alkon says:

Parents need to understand that kids don’t magically develop an understanding of money and finance — any more than they magically develop table manners. I’m an advice columnist and I got yet another letter last night from a guy whose 30-something daughters are clueless, and it’s biting him in the ass now.

13. LucyInTheSky says:

Not only are they scamming old people, their installers are immature and petty jerks. great company.

14. crnk says:

@newlywed: You make a good and correct point–if people don’t want to or can’t shop around and then agree to a price, then they should pay that price.
    As someone tangentially tied to the industry, I know it can be common practice to quote a very high number to avoid getting the job (ie, the contractor saying that “it would cost us so much to do this work and hire the people that we’d need to charge more. no thanks, but we’ll do it if you pay 50% more for that trouble we have to go through”). I know this isn’t the case here, but it just shows that a lot can be saved through shopping around and using the right contractors.

Anyway, the real point is….once again…that they were using unlicensed contractors and the work wasn’t being done on time or correctly.

15. Yep says:

@ScramDiggyBooBoo:
    The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed — for lack of a better word — is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms — greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge — has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed — you mark my words — will not only save Premiere Bathrooms, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Thank you.

16. veraikon says:

Over the years, my grandparents have shelled out ridiculous amounts of money for home repairs and the like. They usually consult us only AFTER money has changed hands. They want to retain some sense of independence and they don’t want to “bother” us (Hello, they’re NOT a bother! But they just don’t seem to get that…) I think that’s a typical attitude for a lot of elderly folks. They want to keep doing stuff on their own, but they’re often living alone and their bodies are falling apart. And then some scammer comes along promising to take care of everything.

So how much can we blame the seniors themselves for their knee-jerk reactions? Age – especially old age – changes people. My once rock-solid Grandma recently stayed up the whole night sobbing…because the hosptial had made a minor billing error. When you’re 84, everything is a crisis.

These scammers need to be treated like any other criminals. As far as I’m concerned, they’re practically in the same league as pedophiles and wife-beaters. They’re predators who take advantage of weakness.

17. forever_knight says:

@Amy Alkon: please tell us more about this guy and his 30 year old daughters. seriously, is he just an enabler (giving them money or bailing them out at every financial mistake)?

18. Esquire99 says:

Who is the States Attorneys office to tell her she was overcharged? She agreed to a price, and while it might have been high, last time I checked the government didn’t regulate how much a private company can charge for a bathtub. I think either the story has been mis-interpreted, or someone at the States Attorneys office spoke incorrectly. They don’t really have the authority to tell someone not to pay what they are obligated under a contract. I think the States Attorneys office, if they really said that, was WAY out of line in getting involved. This was not a “scam”. She contracted to get a bathtub, and she got one. The unlicensed plumber thing is another story, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have to pay. Additionally, I’m sure the contract does not guarantee that the work will be done by X date. The reality here is the elderly woman is in breach of contract for failure to pay, and if they take her to court, the bathtub company will probably win.

19. Sudonum says:

@newlywed:
    In Florida contracting without a license is a felony. Punishable by fine and jail time.

20. crnk says:

@veraikon: Scammers? So, let me get this right…..Is the gas station on a busy corner that is charging 10c more a gallon a scam? The ATM from another bank charging you an extra fee? The drive through cleaners that wanted $20 for a suit while the mom and pop shop across the street was asking less than $10?
    Are all of those scammers since they charge a higher price than needed? I’d say no….and if you shop around, you’ll find that they charge more because a lot of people don’t care about money and how much things cost. Just because they charge more than the standard/reasonable amount doesn’t make them a scammer. That is why everyone should shop around for just about everything.
    So, while it is clear they aren’t scammers in that they overcharge (ps, that isn’t what a scam generally consists of), I’ll list a few underhanded moves they made to show you what they did do:
    High pressure sales guy–dirtier than a car salesman.
    Promise in an amazingly short install time–and knowing they wouldn’t deliver.
    Using illegal and unlicensed contractors.

There is nothing unusual about quoting a high price for services, and from what I know, it is standard practice for a firm to not finish services when they are told they won’t be paid for the work.

21. crnk says:

@bradg33: She was probably told by the sate AG office that it was a high amount and paid too much…..and the family derived that they paid too much and that they didn’t have to pay all of it if it was too high.
    I don’t think the state AG’s office did get involved–I think they gave some off the cuff advice and got quoted, nothing more.

22. BrockBrockman says:

Elderly folks get scammed at a higher frequency than non-elderly folks. Hence, lawmakers make special laws protecting elderly folks against scams.

I have little sympathy for old folks who use their age as an excuse to be jerks, but I have even less sympathy for the people who scam old folks.

Whether or not Premiere Bathrooms gets their last $5,000, their actions were despicable, and deserve to be boycotted as the “contractors that like to scam old folks.”

23. Esquire99 says:

@BrockBrockman: “If the attorney general’s office told them not to pay, you can be assured that there was some legality to their advice.”.

That’s a VERY dangerous assumption you are making. Just because who ever answered the phone in the AG’s office said “Don’t pay”, which is doubtful to begin with, doesn’t relieve them of their obligation under the contract they entered into knowingly and willingly. The buyer in this case is just flat wrong.

24. Esquire99 says:

Alot of people on here are throwing around the words “scam” and “scammer”, and I don’t think very many have even the slightest clue as to its true definition. Scam, as defined by the American Heritage Dictionary, is “to defraud; swindle”. In this case, there was no “fraud” and no “swindling”. They did not promise to sell her something, take the money, and not provide. They did not take her money in some sort of investment scam, as many who scam the elderly do. They simply sold her a bathtub, the price of which may or may not have been high. A little research on the companies website shows these appear to be fairly specialized bathtubs. Typically a specialize product costs more than one purchased at Home Depot. Buyers remorse does not relieve one of their obligations under a contract. It’s absurd that people seem to think that it’s simply “ok” to decide you don’t have to pay the full amount you agreed to because after the installation is done you determined you paid too much. Though I’m sure the crowd that is advocating that stance is the same one that does not understand the meaning of “personal responsibility”. The fact they are elderly has no relevance here. They agreed to buy a bathtub, they got one, they think they paid to much. The only thing the company did wrong here was use unlicensed contractors.

25. topgun says:

I hope it all works out. I wish the elderly would have someone younger present before entering into these kind of agreements. Most seem too stubborn like my parents and I find out after they’ve spent way too much.

26. Starfury says:

There is a special place in Hell for people that take advantage of the elderly.

27. MickeyMoo says:

I don’t understand the appeal of the Premier Bathrooms “tub with a door” system. I imagine it’s safer on some level in that one need not step out of a potentially slippery tub – but the downside is that you have to sit in lukewarm scungy bathwater until the thing drains completely so you can open the door. When my dad was sick I think that would have been far worse and uncomfortable for him than being assisted out of a standard tub.

28. I’m sorry, what bathtub cost $15,000? Does it sing me beautiful melodies and scrub my back for me? Is it coated in pure gold? Do I get a stripper on a pole with it? Does it come with a 50″ (NO LESS) 1080p LCD TV? Unless I’m getting that, it ain’t worth $15,000.

29. Esquire99 says:

@Papa Midnight: It’s not worth it to YOU, but that does not make it a scam. Do you think a Bentley is worth $300k?

30. Instigator says:

@Sudonum: Sure it is! If every unlicensed contractor in Florida were prosecuted, the state would have to construct a new prison a month to house them all.

31. FLConsumer says:

@bradg33: I’d say a Bentley’s overpriced, but only by about 10-20%.

I’d also like to know what bathtub costs $15k. Having redone several $1M+ condos and installing some of the finest fittings available, I don’t recall seeing one that expensive. The Aquatic spa-tubs with built in heaters top out around $6k. The Toto Neorest toilet tops out around $4k.

32. jesirose says:

This is just like the last plumber story you guys posted. The consumer agreed to the price given because they felt their disability prohibited them from shopping around and being educated consumers. Then, in this one, consumer decides to wait until after the plumbers have finished the work to tell them they won’t be paying. Who is swindling whom here? Of course the plumbers are going to try to take back parts, they feel they’re being cheated.

If one of my clients calls me and asks for a quote, I always quote high, because you never know what problems might pop up. They agree to the quote, and usually pay some up front. If after I had finished the work, they said kthanx bye because their 15 yo. nephew said I was charging too much for a website he could do for them, I would be pretty pissed off if they tried to get out of paying me. That’s what contracts are for. And you can bet, at the mention of them not paying in full, I’d be yanking my files out of their greedy hands.

If you agree to pay someone the price that they feel their time is worth, and you later decide it’s not worth that much and don’t pay – YOU are the scammer, not the person not getting paid for their work.

33. SVreader says:

Sounds like a whole lot of problems compounded: a very expensive impluse buy, a company working (and apparently not very well) without a license, and customers and employees who aren’t sure what the next step should be. What a sad mess!

34. Leiterfluid says:

Actually, it’s not uncommon in contract disputes to withhold final payment until both parties are agree that the work has been completed to satisfaction. The fact of the matter is the company materially breached the contract by not providing licensed plumbers to do the necessary plumbing work. Since that work was done for the client from another plumber, probably at her own expense, she has every right to withhold payment. If Premiere Bathrooms believe they are in the right, they can file a case in Small Claims court to get the remaining balance owed. However, they would have to prove that they met their contractual obligations in order to prevail.

If they honestly believe they’re in the right, they should litigate, and let all the facts come to light.

35. majortom1981 says:

If you read the letter it was the unliscenced plumbers who were trying to swindle them. The plumbers business was shut down.

They didnt have to payt becuase the business was doing this illegally and the state told them to stop .They had no right coming back because the state themselves told them to stop.

36. bryanc1 says:

Anyone know where at in Illinois this is? I have family in southern illinois and I happened to see an advertisement in one of my grandmothers’ magazines the other night when we went to dinner. I don’t want them to fall prey to this potentially. Now that I’m aware of it, I’m positive it won’t happen. I just want to know to be sure they’re not preying on people in my hometown area.
    Thanks
    B

37. Esquire99 says:

@majortom1981: There was no swindling. It’s also questionable whether or not they held themselves out to be licensed plumbers. The fact is they contracted to buy a shower, now they don’t want to pay for it because they were told they were over charged. There is no mention of not paying because the work was not completed, no mention that they were not paying because of the unlicensed plumbers, and no mention of any other reason for not paying. The sole reason mentioned is that the states attorneys office told them the price was too high. I’m not saying some of those other reasons might not prove compelling in a dispute to not pay, but he only issue raised is that the “price was too high”. Thats all we have to work with and we can’t start assuming facts that have not been presented. Based on what was said, the consumer is wrong here.

38. Sudonum says:

@Instigator: Regardless of enforcement the fact is that you can do time for unlicensed contracting in Florida
    [myflorida.custhelp.com]
    “A person who is found guilty of unlicensed construction activity by a criminal court commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, which is punishable by either a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 1 year, or a fine of up to $1,000.”

39. outphase says:

The contract was not met by both parties. The grandparents might have grounds for recovery of the initial $5000.

40. Instigator says:

@Sudonum: So what? The law isn’t effective if it isn’t enforced, which it seldom is in Florida. Unlicensed contractors know it, too! That’s why they’ve seemingly all moved here. Just read the Orlando Sentinel’s consumer advocate’s column. Most of the complaints are from people who have been victimized by unlicensed contractors.

41. JayXJ says:

She was over-charged. Then the labor was done by unlicensed plumbers and not up to code. Yes, this is shady. Hopefully she can recover her expenses in court.

This is the sort of thing that makes you wish public flogging would come back.

42. Sudonum says:

@Instigator:
    I am a licensed contractor in the state of Florida and have worked in the Panhandle as well as Broward – Dade. I can’t speak of Orange County, I’ve only done consulting work there, however in Walton, Okaloosa, and Santa Rosa counties after Ivan the sheriffs departments were following delivery trucks from Home Depot and other suppliers to the job site and verifying that the work was permitted and licensed. I don’t know if anyone did jail time. Regardless, my comment was correct that in FL you CAN do jail time for unlicensed contracting. If your local law enforcement or courts aren’t doing anything about it then go bitch at them, not me.

43. Instigator says:

@Sudonum: I’m not bitching, I’m just saying. People from all over the U.S. read this site, and might get the impression that Florida makes a concentrated effort to weed out the unlicensed contractors. There typically is more attention to this problem paid after a hurricane, but not so much under normal circumstances. You sound like one of the ethical, conscientious members of your profession. I wish there were more of you here in Central Florida.

44. Ben Popken says:

Daniel writes:

“I JUST CALLED CORP HEADQUARTERS TO GET A BALL PARK FIGURE AND THEY GAVE ME ALL SORTS OF EXCUSES…. THEY FINALLY GAVE ME A BALL PARK QUOTE OF 9500.00 TO 14000.00 FOR A STANDARD CAMBRIDGE INSTALLATION, WITH NO TILING EITHER…. THEY REFUSED TO GIVE ANY OTHER DETAILS UNLESS A SALESMAN COMES TO OUR HOUSE….. THESE GUYS ARE CROOKS… TOTAL SCAMMERS……. PLEASE LET YOUR READERS KNOW…. THEY ARE TRULY SCAM ARTIST OF THE WORST KIND PREYING ON THE ELDERLY….THE SALES REP IN FLORIDA HAD SUCH A BOILER ROOOM TONE ABOUT HER….. REAL SLIMY…… A REAL CON ARTIST….!!!!!”

45. electracsg says:

I am very familiar with this company. I can attest to the quality of their tubs. Sure, most tubs cost substantially less than $15K. These cheaper tubs are sold in mass to retailers such as Home Depot. What you get for $15K is a solid, well-made, ALL CERAMIC, tub with a door that somehow manages not to leak. All of the safety features are included, grab bar, no-slip floor, etc. And all tubs come with standard hydrotherapy. These tubs are better described as hot tubs instead of bathtubs. All have lifetime warranties, so if anything ever breaks or wears out, it is replaced free of charge. Another reason these tubs are expensive is because each tub is custom made when you order it. You aren’t going to be getting one that has been sitting in a warehouse. It sounds like the person above was a victim of a shady plumber/installer. Premier contracts with installers to install the tubs. I would be interested to see if Premier offered to reinstall the tub. Ed McMahon is now promoting these tubs in commercials. You can bet that he would not lend his reputation to a shady company.

46. Clive1314 says:

Quality of the tubs? the tubs are cheap the door design is far from unique. They are mass produced acrylic tubs and shipped over by contained load. Premier Bathrooms are crooks they prey on the fears of elderly, exploiting them to make the sale. Any doubts read the job postings for salesmen on Careerbuilder, old people are sold the tub from a catalogue sight unseen. instructions given to the installers state clearly start demolition before unpacking the new tub, that way the customer is unable to back out the deal. Whether the tub meets the needs of the person doesnt matter, all that matters is the sale. I did installations for these creeps and know exactly the sleezy tactics used. As for Ed McMahon being a spokesman, he would sell alter boys to preists as long as the check cleared.

47. otis84 says:

I came across this website after a very similar incident (i.e. elderly being scammed by Premier Bathrooms) concerning my parents and Premiere Bathrooms. First, let me say, be very, very wary of this company. They are not about customer service, they are entirely about getting paid, a lot, as much as they can get from a customer. My elderly parents wanted to have a walk-in bathtub and we called Premiere Bathrooms since we saw their ad on TV. The very first clue should have been their sales tactics. If any salesman says “Let me phone the showroom to see if there are any in stock that haven’t been used” or ” We just had a home show in a city and we have a tub that’s not being used”- immediately say, thanks you very much, and show them the door. This should have been our first clue. We paid over $16,000 for a walk in tub. Until the job was finished I withheld $5,000. There was a poor caulking job and the hardware (i.e. faucets and amendments) was taken from the seconds bin at a local hardware store. I told them I would pay when the job was completed to my parents satisfaction. Premiere Bathrooms made an arrangement to finish the job at my elderly parents home. My parents let them into the home and as my father was explaining what should be done, one of the Premiere Bathrooms representatives took the walk-in bathroom door off the hinge, gave it to an assistant, who then secretly walked out of my parents home with it. My father, still not knowing that the door had been taken, was told that they would be back soon since they needed to buy something at the hardware store. I then received a call basically saying that the door was being held until full payment. Yes, this is completely legal—however, this has to be one of the most unscrupulous, low, underhanded acts that I have ever witnessed in any business dealing. BE VERY CAREFULY WHEN DEALING WITH PREMIERE BATHROOMS. I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU NOT DEAL WITH THEM AT ALL AND FIND A WALK-IN TUB AT A LOCAL BATHROOM STORE AND FIND A LOCAL CONTRACTOR TO PUT THE TUB IN. PREMIERE BATHROOMS ARE A VERY UNPRINCIPLED COMPANY. THERE IS MORE AND MORE EVIDENCE MOUNTING THAT NO ONE SHOULD DEAL WITH PREMIERE BATHROOMS. THEY TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE ELDERLY.

48. necont says:

As a legal contractor, I see lots of blame to go around. Always shop around, no excuse. Florida law protects companies like Premier from certian litagation. Use of licensed plumbers vary by city to city or county. And the amount of plumbing being done, or if your just changing a fixture.Always check with the building inspector. Purchasing a tub from a local supplyer doesn’t always help. Most licensed plumbers won’t do the tile work or repair floors and walls, which will require hiring one or more additional contractors. When Premier tubs are delivered, they are inspected and sat in for fit by the customer. No demo is ever started first. I did install some tubs for Premier in the past, but stopped because of not being paid properly by Premier. Not all installers are crooks. Most of the installers Premier have left are in-experienced.I never left a install with a angry customer.
    As far as sales people go, today they sell tubs, tomorrow your new car.

49. necont says:

Premier tubs are molded fiberglass with a epoxy gel coat.
    And are not a hot tub. There is no heater. If Clive1314 was riping out tubs before the new tub was uncrated then they also became part of the problem.

50. Michael2424 says:

I have also been ripped off by Premier Bathrooms.

My 78 year old Mother had just come home from a rehabilitation center where she was treated for a fractured pelvis after a fall she had.

Since it’s hard for her to walk let alone get into a traditional bathtub I decided to get her a Premier Bathtub, the brand Ed McMahon advertises on TV.

The Premier Bathrooms sales person came to our home and I purchased the “Easy Bathe” tub, gave him a $4,998 down payment on the $15,000 tub and signed the contract.

A few days later I received a call from Premier Bathrooms, Inc. stating that the “Easy Bathe” tub I purchased was not appropriate for my Mother (they said she was too large to fit in the tub) and recommended that we choose another tub. He said he was going to overnight be the specs on the new tub.

Well, the “Easy Bathe” is the only tub I wanted because it was the only attractive, non-institutional looking tub they had. When I called to cancel the order I was ignored and then treated terribly. Below is a time line of events and specific names and contact numbers of the people I’ve been dealing with.

2/25 – SALESPERSON RICHARD GONZALES (CELL: 847-809-9098) COMES TO HOME. $15,000 ‘EASY BATHE’ TUB PURCHASED. DOWN PAYMENT OF $4,998 PAID VIA MASTER CARD. SALES PERSON TAKES DIGITAL PICTURE OF ME STATING IT’S COMPANY POLICY. CONTRACT AGREEMENT SIGNED.

2/28 JASON HELKA (PREMIER BATHROOM REGIONAL INSTILLATION MANAGER 734-591-2396) CALLS. STATES THAT BASED ON MY PICTURE THAT THE SALESPERSON TOOK ON THE DAY OF TUB PURCHASE; I AM TOO LARGE TO COMFORTABLY FIT IN TUB. UPON LEARNING THE TUB WAS NOT FOR ME BUT FOR MY MOTHER WHO IS EVEN LARGER THAN ME, JASON HELKA RECOMMENDS AN ALTERNATIVE ‘BOSTON’ TUB THAT IS NOT PICTURED IN THEIR CATALOG OR ON THEIR WEB SITE. STATES THAT HE WILL OVERNIGHT ME ‘BOSTON’ TUB SPECS.

3/1 PUT CALL IN TO PREMIER BATHROOMS AT 630-941-1203. SPOKE TO SAMANTHA. CANCELED ORDER, REQUESTED FULL REFUND. SAMANTHA ADVISES THAT SOMEONE WILL GET BACK TO ME.

3/4 TO 3/6 CALLED PREMIER BATHROOMS AT 630-941-1203 ON MARCH 4,5,6. LEFT MESSAGES STATING THAT I NEED AN IMMEDIATE REFUND. NO CALLS WERE RETURNED.

3/6 CALLED PREMIER BATHROOMS CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS AT 386-761-1830. SPOKE TO ANN (EX. 304). ANN STATED SHE WOULD TAKE THE ISSUE UP WITH THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY AND GET BACK TO ME.

3/6 MR. MESKINO (630-941-1203 ) FROM PREMIER BATHROOMS IN ELMHURST, IL CALLS AND STATES HE WILL SOLVE THE ISSUE. I STATE NOTHING NEEDS TO BE SOLVED AND THAT I DON’T WANT ANOTHER TUB, I WANT A REFUND. MR. MESKINO THEN STATES I CAN HAVE THE ‘EASY BATHE’ TUB.

I REMIND HIM OF JASON HELKA’S CONCERN THAT THE TUB WOULD NOT WORK AND ALSO STATE THAT I HAVE LOST ALL CONFIDENCE IN THE COMPANY AND WANT A REFUND.

MR. MESKINO BECOMES VERY AGITATED, RAISES HIS VOICE AND BEGINS SPEAKING IN THE MANIC TONES OF A GRIFTER STATING THAT HE DOESN’T THINK I’M GOING TO GET A REFUND. ATTEMPTS TO INTIMIDATE AND TAUNT ME BY STATING I’LL HAVE TO SPEND EVEN MORE MONEY HIRING AN ATTORNEY. THANKS ME REPEATEDLY IN A MOCKING TONE UNTIL I TERMINATE THE CALL.

Premier Bathrooms has since refunded me $3,000. They state they are keeping $2,000 to cover sales and administrative fees! I HAVE NO PRODUCT FROM THIS COMPANY AND THEY STILL WANT TO KEEP $2,000 of my hard earned money. The smarmy people at Premier Bathrooms are nothing but crooks who bilk the elderly. This story is far from over. I will fight till I get every cent back.

51. Anonymous says:

WARNING….

Do not do business with this company. My wife worked for Premier Bathrooms for years. She was told to work illegally in the U.S. as part of her employment.
    Premier Bathrooms would send their Canadian reps to work in the U.S. They coach them on what to say crossing the border. They Fed X their contracts and paper work to them so they won’t be caught with it in their car or when flying out of Canada by Customs. After they make their sales they are instructed to mail their contracts to the Kent Wash. office and throw away any paper work that has Premiers name on it. They then come back to Canada and get paid in U.S. dollars. Their commision for selling a tub is 10% of the selling price , which is on average $ 1,600.00 .
    They are not only scamming some of the elderly ( by not returning deposits) but they are scamming the taxpayers of the U.S. by paying these people in U.S. dollars and not reporting it to the IRS. They also have some of their installation crews that are Canadian that do not report their income , and get paid in USD when they arrive home. Counsilling people to work in the US without an L1 is a felony , and they are getting away with it. No wonder your economy is in such dire straights with companies such as these operating this way.

52. cricket1977 says:

Ok, how well do you know Premier Bathrooms as a company?
    I worked for this company and their quality is no where worth the price! They charge 10,000 + more than what they pay and as much as 20,000 +! These tubs look institutional and the bath they use for advertising (Easy-Bath) isn’t ever going to accomidate an elderly person or someone with disability! The seat sits 11 ” low with a slope in the seat. If you are @ all tall, your knees will be up against the door! It is not like a hot-tub, nothing to keep the water warm, the opposite, the air jets push cool air and chills the bath quickly! Their lifetime warranty isn’t any better! 1 year on bath, one year on parts and labour and the only thing you have a lifetime on is the seal! But what they should say is 20 years cause the seal needs to be whiped dry after EACH bath. If your taps break, prepare to wait 6 weeks as the brand is from the UK and if its after 1 year, you get to pay for it. These tubs I guarantee you are not custom made! They all have a mold and can not be made to fit your space! Your space is made to fit the bath! They are massed order and kept in warehouses all over the US and Canada! They contract with any installer who is available! Ed has been promoting Premier for years!!! Trump bailed him out from going bankrupt! He isn;t doing any knew adds either! So shop around, search the web, do your homework, buy direct from a company and hire your own installer and save yourself thousands!
    Cheers

53. WayneE501 says:

Here are the number of complaints received by various BBB chapters in the last 36 months for Premier Bathrooms.

Format: “complaints – BBB chapter”

13 – Alaska, Oregon, Western Washington
    2 – Western Washington
    1 – Detroit, Michigan
    13 – Mainland British Columbia
    1 – Mid-Western and Central Ontario
    7 – New York
    2 – New York City, New York
    85 – Orlando, Florida
    1 – San Jose, California
    0 – Vancouver Island, British Columbia

No additional comment necessary.

54. MelissaAllman says:

Response to posting by Dawn Green:

On August 10, 2007, this customer entered into a contract with Premier Baths, Inc., (‘Premier”) for the purchase of a Plymouth model hydrotherapy walk-in bathtub.

Premier exclusively uses independent contractors for its installations. Premier requires proof of any required licensure and insurance prior to using the independent contractors for its installations.

As with any construction project, difficulties can occur. As such, due to inconveniences encountered by the customer during this installation, Premier waived the final balance owed on the contract and fully honored the one year unlimited warranty. A lifetime warranty is still in place on the door seal.

Premier takes customer satisfaction seriously and continually strives for excellence in that area. Premier regrets any customer dissatisfaction and has responded to the customer and any agencies involved and this issue has been resolved.

Melissa Allman
    Corporate Legal Coordinator
    Premier Bathrooms

55. newleywed614 says:

You guys don’t know anything about Premier Bathrooms. I purchased two bath tubs for my mother who has had both knees replaced. The advisor who came to my home (Brian Courtney) was very professional and really cared about my mothers needs. We signed the contracted and he was very helpful to explain eveything to my mother and I. We paid about 15,000 for each tub and it was very well worth it!! My mother could of gone to the nursing home and 30,000 is well worth my mother’s saftey and keeping her home!! This tub if the reason why my mother can now live by herself again!! This tub kept my mother out of the nursing home, helped her bathe safetly again, and she doesn’thave to worry about falling! You complain about paying so much money for the tub?? Isn’t your family worth it?? Maybe not to you…I recommend everyone to Premier Bathrooms and I WILL be buying another with them!! When you all 1-800-475-9077 you speak to the nicest people and they’ll help you set up an appt.