Thomas & Friends Customers Sent Lead Tainted Toys As Apology For Lead Tainted Toys

If you returned a recalled Thomas & Friends toy to RC2, you probably received an apology and a “bonus gift.” We hope you didn’t give the toy to your kid, because some of the “bonus gifts” have been recalled for lead contamination.

RC2 sent an email out to customers who received the lead tainted apology toy:

Unfortunately, the discovery that certain Toad vehicles could be potentially unsafe was made in August, after Toads had been sent as bonus gifts to some families. Many of the Toad bonus gifts are safe, however some may not be. If you received a Toad vehicle as a bonus gift from us, please check its underside for the tracking code 1656OW00 to determine if it is one of the recalled toys.

That’s pathetic. Maybe the apology toys for these ones will contain polio.

(Thanks, rwshep2000!)

Comments

1. *facepalm*

*headdesk*

APOLOGIES = POISON

(Seriously, this is ridiculous.)

2. Buran says:

Pathetic? No shit Sherlock.

Don’t you think it would have been a good idea to find this out BEFORE sending these out as an apology for THIS VERY PROBLEM!?!

I’m a bit of a railfan and I once considered buying one of the locomotives as a shelf piece. Good thing something else caught my eye instead and I put it back on the shelf. These idiots don’t deserve my money. Ever.

3. ViperBorg says:

*bangs head against desk repeatedly*
    Fucking idiots.

4. Bill Brasky says:

Of course, they’ll send you another apology and a “Plutonium Polly Pocket” or a Happy Fun Ball.

Damn.

5. mopar_man says:

It’s really too bad I like the Johnny Lightning toys (also made by RC2). I think I’m going to have to stop buying those. These people obviously don’t deserve my money.

6. scoobydoo says:

They need to shutdown this business. It’s clearly operated by people incapable of keeping kids safe.

7. joeblevins says:

Is it really dangerous? No…

8. sp3nc3 says:

@bill51773: Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball! Greatness!

9. harshmellow says:

Maybe as an apology for the apology, they can send you a can of lead paint!

10. Hanke says:

Yeah, I believe we commented on this when you posted the second Thomas recall…last week.

11. Bye says:

Red and green and brown and blue
    Lead paint for all your kids to chew.

12. pyloff says:

This story is like laughing while throwing up. Who wins?

13. bombaxstar says:

lol wow. Are you being serious? This almost sounds like a joke or something.

14. mopar_man says:

@joeblevins:

You don’t think lead toys are dangerous? You must work at Wal-Mart.

15. marsneedsrabbits says:

This is simply awesome. Maybe the next round could be rigged with explosives. Maybe they’ll be radioactive? Has anyone tried Biohazard yet? Hey, guess what’s wrong with this toy! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
    Why not go all out and just start producing the entire “Bag O'” series of toys, ala Irwin Mainway? Bag O’ Glass, Bag O’ Sulfuric Acid, Bag O’ Vipers.
    Honestly, this would all be funny if not for the potential for serious harm to innocent children. As it is, it is just really infuriating.

16. magus_melchior says:

What did Adam Savage & Jamie Hyneman say about Adam’s lead toy car (a brick of lead with 4 wheels)?

“It’s the fastest toy car in the world!”
    “And if you throw it at someone, you’ll kill him!”

17. d_man says:

I used to work for RC2 as the Sr. Web Developer so I have some additional insight into this lead problem that most people don’t have.

I started working for Learning Curve International (LCI) in 2000 doing web development work, programming, system administration, etc. There was a man at our warehouse in Elk Grove Village, IL, and later the warehouse in Bolingbrook, IL, who was responsible for performing quality assurance tests on new merchandise arriving from China. He was responsible for doing things like drop tests and checking paint for lead. It’s my understanding that he had a counterpart at the factories in China that performed similar tests.

This QA work wasn’t required by law, but one of the company founders, Dick Rothkopf, insisted that it be done because he didn’t want leaded toys hurting little kids.

In March of 2003, LCI was sold to the company RC Ertl; some time later RC Ertl changed its name to RC2. As is usual with these sorts of acquisitions, massive numbers of people were laid off; among them was the man who did the quality assurance work at the warehouse.

Now, I cannot state definitively that RC2 did not perform their own QA tests, but if they were then there wouldn’t be any product recalls due to lead paint. Now I’m hearing that some people are trying to blame the factories in China for the problem and CEO’s are saying things in the media like, “this is a problem that the industry has to figure out how to solve”, when we already know the solution. Test your merchandise for lead before you ship it to retailers!

If the corporations are unwilling to take steps to ensure that their products are safe for sale, then perhaps it’s time that the government step in and mandate that manufacturers test products for lead content before they make it to market and before someone is injured.

18. Trackback says:

In an era when Wal-Mart has shipped mass product production overseas, not even consolation prizes are safe. After recalling its Thomas the Train toys, RC2 Corp. sent out “bonus gifts” to its customers as a way of apologizing.

19. NeedsMoreDitka says:

I do data entry for this company’s lead paint recalls. At least I know I’ll always have a job with these people.