Qwest Launches Customer Internet Protection Program

Qwest would like you to know they’ve launched some fancy new “Consumer Internet Protection.”

According to Qwest, the new program notifies you that your computer is infected, gives you information on how to remove the infection, and then provides you with anti-virus software.

From their press release:

The Qwest(R) Customer Internet Protection Program (CIPP) notifies Qwest Broadband customers about viruses and malware that may be on their computers, informs them of safe Internet security practices and helps them clean viruses and malware from their computers. The CIPP is part of Qwest’s ongoing commitment to make the Internet safer for customers and is available to residential and small-business Qwest Broadband ADSL* customers at no additional charge.

“Internet security is a top priority for Internet users and for Qwest,” said Melodi Gates, Qwest director of risk management and chief information security officer. “Most people don’t even know when their computers become infected, so Qwest’s goal is not only to help customers get rid of the infections, but also to make sure customers are armed with information to maintain strong levels of Internet security going forward.”

Qwest says the program is a big hit with consumers. Anyone used it?

Qwest Customer Internet Protection Program Increases Security For Broadband Customers, Combats Spread Of Viruses And Malware [Qwest]
(Photo:Ken Lund)

Comments

1. blue_duck says:

I want Quest now. Too bad my computer is already destroyed due to what I know now is crappy anti-virus and spy sweeper.

2. motoraway says:

To be honest, with all of the great “freeware” programs that both remove spyware and provide anti-virus protection, it shouldn’t be too hard to protect your machine.

3. ViperBorg says:

Psh, I’ll stick with my NOD32, thank you.

4. dwneylonsr says:

I have Qwest Choice Online ADSL and I’ve never heard of this.

5. Xerloq says:

Qwest won’t sell me service. The site says it’s not available in my area, but the phone/chat reps say it is. Then they send me to the website to get pricing and sign up, which requires the site to understand that service is available in my area. Vicious cycle.

Oh well, they won’t pricematch my cable deal: a 12Mbps for $25, naked HSI so Comcast can compete with the FIOS service here. Maybe if Qwest offers a $10 naked DSL (like AT&T) I’ll switch.

6. amoeba says:

I am subscribed with qwest and so far I haven’t heard of such deal…I have landline/adsl with them. When did they come out with such deal? I hate to find out before.

7. yg17 says:

@motoraway: I work in the IT department’s helpdesk at the university I go to, and you’d be surprised how many people in the dorms just don’t care. Despite the fact that all students can get a free copy of McAfee and free assistance with installing McAfee, some anti-spyware program, and enabling the Windows firewall, students just don’t. If they’re completely computer illiterate and would rather us do it for them than get walked through the process on the phone, they can bring the computer to us and we’ll do it. We do everything on our part to get all machines on the network, students just don’t take advantage of it. Then when our network monitors detect worm-like activity on their machine and boot them from the network, they get mad at us because we’re making them secure their machine.

What Qwest is doing isn’t a bad idea, assuming it’s non-intrusive (for example, they detect traffic that resembles a worm coming from your machine, rather than making you install something on your comp that sends back the contents of your hard drive to them for “analysis”). I just wonder how many people will take it seriously. Because most viruses nowadays aren’t made to inconvenience a user, the idea is that you don’t know they’re there. They’re designed so that all infected computers take down something much larger (a la botnet). And if the customers get the message from Qwest saying they’re infected, but they don’t actually notice anything’s wrong, they’ll probably pass it off as a false positive.

8. TuxRug says:

One of my friends got hit by this for suspicious traffic (he torrents a lot). He’s savvy enough that he checked and verified he did not have a virus. He was very annoyed though, because all http traffic was redirected to a “You’ve been infected” page, and all his torrents, IM email, etc were blocked. He managed to find one port through trial and error through which he could connect to IRC and rant about it. He ended up calling and the first attempt, the CSR told him that they would not unblock his account and that he could only cancel (and pay the ETF since he took price for life). He hung up and called again and was told that they would remove the block if he purchased a copy of Norton Antivirus and installed it while on the phone with the CSR to verify he was actually installing it. He agreed to that because he needed broadband access for some homework, plopped $60 for NAV (i THINK he sent his dad out to the store to get it), and finally got his connection working again.