Maybe Television Idiot Syndrome (a term we just made up) is reversible: a new study says you can reduce the risk of having an antisocial, depressive child if you reduce his television viewing to less than two hours per day by age 5 1/2. Just make sure you don’t fill up those two hours with Baby Einstein vids. [Reuters]

Comments

1. jaredgood1 says:

You know what made me an antisocial child? Books.

2. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

@jaredgood1:
    <—- ::spit take::
    Word! When I was grounded (which was often), I’d crack open a book. I got to re-read all 112 books in my Baby-Sitters Club series my 4th grade year.

3. umbriago says:

Or The Sopranos, for that matter, though they might learn a thing or two about forging personal relationships.

4. CumaeanSibyl says:

@jaredgood1: Yep! My parents used to kick me out of the house during the summer — I was a sedentary child, and they wanted me to get some exercise and fresh air and whatnot.

Of course, once I realized the library was within biking distance and air-conditioned…

5. QuantumRiff says:

@ceejeemcbeegee: I went through the whole Hardy Boys series, including all the later series for the same reason!

6. ChrisC1234 says:

Ok… so this is filed under “Protecting your Investment”. I love kids, don’t get me wrong, but since when can they be considered an “investment”. I think something closer to “sinkhole” or “money vacuum” would be a little more accurate… You’ll never see a dime of what you put into your kids (THEY will enjoy the benefits of it, but YOU won’t).

Then again, maybe “charity” or “donations” would be the right categories.

7. SkyeBlue says:

My brother refused to let his cldren watch TV when they were younger, two of the 5 children he has have served time in prison. Maybe NOT watching ANY TV can make you anti-social also?

8. @ChrisC1234:
    1. Retirement community membership fees
    2. Back-up kidneys

At least, if I had kids, that’s what I’d be earmarking them for.