IHOP To Abandon Trans-Fats By Year End

IHOP has announced that they will be going trans-fat free by the end of the year. The chain said they’ve found a replacement oil that tastes the same as the old heart-killing trans-fat oil.

The did not, however, address the real issue with IHOP: Sticky tables.

Stop the insanity. Buy some sponges.

IHOP to stop use of trans fats [BusinessWeek]
(Photo:MattMcGee)

Comments

1. SimonSwegles says:

No more tasty trans-fats? Can I still get an $8 carafe of grapefruit juice? :-P

2. mupethifi says:

Sticky is one way of saying it, however, mine was gooey last night. my girlfriend had to peel my arm off the table.

3. Beerad says:

@mupethifi: Yeah, but I think it’s one of the hazards you have to accept by eating at a restaurant where the most popular condiment by far is syrup.

4. liquisoft says:

Sponges won’t cure the sticky table disease. Just like the dishrags they use, sponges will just spread the sugary syrup all around the table and create even more stickiness.

They ought to get creative and use the sticky tables to their advantage. I’m thinking tables that are slanted at an angle. They’re so sticky, the plates won’t be able to slide off! I smell a surge in profits!

5. nffcnnr says:

Sounds good. But when are they gonna stop doing this?? Blecchh.

6. dohtem says:

@liquisoft: The plates won’t slide off the tables but the food will slide off the plates.

7. Starfury says:

IHOP sucks. Denny’s is better.

This is according to my 2 kids and myself. My wife can’t stand IHOP and tolerates Dennys.

8. ElizabethD says:

I’m gonna open a trans-fat speakeasy in a couple of years. Bet I do a booming business.

9. girly says:

Perhaps they’ll use interesterified fats?

I hear that the typical transfat replacement not only preserves the flavor, but also the health problems.

10. jmschn says:

@Starfury: Denny’s sucks. IHOP is better. This is according to my father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate

11. rdm says:

After you take care of this issue and also NFFCNNR’s issue, please stop putting pancake batter in your omelets. Thanks!

12. synergy says:

I’ve gone to IHOP only once. I couldn’t find anything on the menu I’d be willing to ingest without thinking I’d die before I finished rolling myself out of the “restaurant.”