4 Awesomest AT&T Cellphone Contract Clauses

Mouseprint scanned through AT&T’s cellphone contract and found some very interesting clauses and restrictions:

4. AT&T can cancel your contract if you roam over 40%.
Lesson: cancel without early termination fee by calling outside your coverage area a bunch.

3. If the phone you’re calling rings for over 30 seconds, it’ll cost you minutes.
Lesson: Hang up and call back after 29 seconds of continuous ringing.

2. AT&T cam disconnect your service if it finds out you’re using your cellphone as a modem.
Lesson: Don’t call up asking for technical support for playing counterstrike over your cellphone.

1. AT&T can disconnect or throttle your service if it feels you’re taking their “unlimited” data plan too literally.
Lesson: See above.

Hit the link to see the legalese verbatim.

AT&T Wireless: Surprise Terms & Conditions [Mouseprint]
(Photo: jhderojas)

Comments

1. rcsfca says:

I really like number 4… I currently have a cell phone contract with sprint and know that they can cancel my contract for too much roaming. Luckily for me I have a very basic nokia phone that allows me to choose the network you want to use when making calls… So now I select the analog roaming service whenever I make a call… :)

2. drkkgt says:

I will have to send in the contract, but Verizon recently sent an updated policy and it included a statement that you would have to pay the early termination fee whether you canceled or they canceled you. If AT&T has this as well, then #4 isn’t that great.

3. ArtDonovansLoveChild. says:

I used to work for a company that was bought last year by ATT/Cingular. They were VERY strict about that 50% of calls made off network rule.

4. majortom1981 says:

The cellphone as a modem thing is called thethering.

ATT does not want you to tether on a normal plan you would have to get one of those plans that are ment for smartphones or those pcmia att cards.

5. ElizabethD says:

I <3 Darth! Thank you, Ben.

6. Geekybiker says:

#1- I wish congress would do something about these unlimited plans. All these companies are offered them, but they are really limited plans with undisclosed limits.

7. yg17 says:

“If AT&T finds that you are using an unlimited voice service offering for other than live dialog between two individuals, AT&T may at its option terminate your service or change your plan to one with no unlimited usage components.”

So I can operate a phone sex service, but if I dare use my phone too much to check my e-mail, I get canned.

8. davebg5 says:

Hmmmm…I wonder what would happen if you bought an iPhone, AT&T canned you, you unlocked your iPhone, only to become bricked by an Apple update.

9. wring says:

now how do I get out of my tmobile contract?

10. maevro says:

I have been using AT&T/Cingular with the unlimited MediaMax plan instead of the unlimited data plan for almost 2 years and build up large data numbers every month.

Actually a CSR once told me that she recommends peopple to do that since it costs less.

11. micahd says:

I have had several friends from out college town in Kentucky get kicked off of AT&T (back when it was cingular) because our little town didn’t have AT&T service and they made all their calls on roaming. This never happened to me because I was on a family plan and most of our families calls still came from AT&T service areas.

12. UpsetPanda says:

Charging if you “abuse” the unlimited service is kind of scary – my fiancee and I are on the same Verizon plan because we talk to each other a lot, and I’m wondering if they’ll suddenly decide that we use too much mobile to mobile time.

13. lestat730 says:

“AT&T can disconnect or throttle your service if it feels you’re taking their “unlimited” data plan too literally.”

Wow, it wasn’t AT&T but I remember when dial-up internet access first started to get popular and providers with numbers that wern’t long distance appeared on the scene. I would often connect using a separate phone line and leave it connected and downloading data for days at a time. Sooner or later I would get disconnected and have to redial but I was apparently ‘abusing’ their $20 a month ‘unlimited’ internet access plan when I got a nasty phone call and a letter to boot. I switched providers.

14. XTC46 says:

@Lesta730 hehe I remember that when I was a kid. My parents would get mad at me a lot.

15. Brad2723 says:

They’ve never given me any trouble when I have used my phone as a modem. I do that whenever I stay in a hotel without free high-speed access.

16. I don’t get it. If it’s unlimited, it should be exactly that, Unlimited.

17. synergy says:

OK, who lets a phone ring for more than 30 seconds?! If you don’t pick up by the 4th ring, I hang up.

18. Anonymous says:

I have AT&T , 3 months left on 2 of the phones contracts a 4 months on 2 others that I got for mt daughters. The thing is we have sooo many rollovers because we dont get service in our area and I cant get out of the contract until the date arrives… I would have to pay the full etf. But the way it is Im paying 180.00 per month for a service I cant use.. so Im basically just screwed!