Executive Email Carpet Bomb Scores Direct Hit On Time Warner

Reader Clayton launched the feared Executive Email Carpet Bomb against Time Warner executives after learning that the cable installation he scheduled for this week would not occur until November. Within an hour of launching the EECB, Clayton received a call from Time Warner promising to reschedule his installation for this weekend. Clayton’s EECB:

Hello,

My name is Clayton. I recently bought a new condo and was excited to finally subscribe to TW cable and internet after I spoke to your customer service representative last Monday, 9/24.

Before I ordered cable and internet I asked the representative if they would be able to install my service this coming weekend. I was told that the usual wait was only 3 days, so it will be no problem. Keeping this in mind I ordered a package.

When everything was finished and it came time to schedule the installation, I was told that she was mistaken, and the earliest date they could install would be the following Monday, October 1st. Needless to say, this didn’t make me very happy, and the representative offered to submit a request to be given an installation slot this weekend should there be a cancellation or new spaces opened up. I was told I would receive a phone call the following day to find out if this is possible.

When I didn’t get the call, I called back this morning. The representative I spoke to, who refused to give me their name, informed me that I had been scheduled an installation date of November 3rd, a full month later! She told me that this is the usual wait for installation, I could not be given an earlier date, and there was nothing she could do. She refused to let me speak to anyone else regarding the matter, and even invited me to cancel my installation and order service from an alternative provider should the installation date not suit my needs.

Needless to say, I am surprised and disappointed by the way I feel I was tricked into ordering service. I have not cancelled my installation yet, but I did contact Dish Network, who assured me they could install service this weekend.

I would like to give TW cable the chance to earn my business. I am asking that I be scheduled for an installation date for this weekend, or in the event that is impossible, the following weekend, October 6th or 7th.

Clayton

The mighty Executive Email Carpet Bomb has an unrivaled ability to summon common sense to any situation. Clayton’s email had all the necessary components: he clearly stated the problem, exhausted normal channels, and politely intoned that he was ready to sign up with a competitor. Learn how to craft your own EECB by reading How To Launch An Executive Email Carpet Bomb.
(Photo: skidrd)

Comments

1. agb says:

So all they did after that headache was to do what they said they would do in the first place? Way to go above & beyond, TW…

2. zolielo says:

Nice that it worked but looking at it from the other side, such tactics seems so inappropriate.

3. skuld_wow says:

Wow. This is very similar to my problem. I recently moved to a new apartment, my previous home I had adelphia, then it was taken over by TWC. Now I heard TWC was really good, from all my friends from my previous town. Well, I contact them via the moving form about three weeks before I am slated to move into my new apartment. Well, I am told that the install would be soon, no given time or date, just soon, we will call you back. Well, I wasn’t liking that answer. So I call back and was told a date of Oct. 1st. I was upset at that point. So I call again. The rep on the phone sounded nervous to talk to me. I was polite and asked if there was anway to hasten my installation. Said no and told me she was going to transfer me to Retention. ?? RETENTION? I wasn’t saying I was goign to quit their service or anything. So while on hold for retention I hear the line pickup and then there is typing then the person hangs up on me. 9 mins on hold. By that time I sure am escalating. So I call them again, got to a nicer rep that listened to me. She was empathetic but this is what I got for an explaination.
    My install is a 16 point installation. For every 1 point is a 10 min period. That’s 160 min for their install. So I the rep I spoke with told me to go to the customer service center in my town and pick up the equip, that might make it faster for me. So after I get out of work I go there get the equipment, go home and install it. Everything is perfect. I see on my TV channel will be avail soon.
    I call back and let them know I have the equipment and installed it and can see the message on the screen. The person I talked to said that doesn’t matter and that they can’t change the work order that is 16 points without deleting it and pushing back my install date. All that for nothing. Does this even make sense? They state its a computer program that automates install points. Non-alterable by human means.
    I gave up. They install tomorrow and if it takes 5 min to do I am going to flip.

4. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

It’ll be interesting to see if Clayton actually does get his install this weekend.

@zolielo:
    Why inappropriate?

5. zolielo says:

@Consumerist Moderator – ACAMBRAS: I was thinking along the lines that aggressive emailing could be perceived as paranoid and or hostile.

Though I come from a governmental background where norms maybe be different than the corporate world for confidentiality and security reasons.

From the limited, similar situations where I have been involved or witnessed such tactics tend to generate a slower, harsher, and angered response.

The more apt tactic is to contact a single high level individual, in government a congress person or in the corporate world a CEO. (I believe that is why the Consumerist puts out the contact information of various CEOs now and then.)

Well those are my thoughts…

6. Consumerist Moderator - ACAMBRAS says:

@zolielo:
    OK — thanks for elaborating. I was curious as to what you meant.