Target Matches Walmart's $9 Birth Control Pill Program

Attention women who like the idea of $9 birth control: Target has announced that they will be matching Walmart’s program. Target will also be matching the additions to the $4 generic program.

Here’s the bad news, those of you who reside in states that prohibit stores from selling prescription drugs as loss leaders are not getting the $9 birth control:

Laws in Minnesota, Wisconsin and seven other states prevent pharmacies from selling drugs below their true cost. As a result, Wal-Mart will charge more to consumers here for nine of the 24 drugs being added to its generic discount program.

In the case of a generic birth control pill called Tri-Sprintec, two Wal-Mart pharmacies in the Twin Cities on Friday were selling a one-month supply for $26.88.

“We cannot provide the $9 for the three women’s health drugs in those states,” said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Deisha Galberth, referring to Tri-Sprintec as well as a second birth control drug and a fertility treatment.

Target matches Wal-Mart drug cuts
[Pioneer Press]
(Photo:Crawfishpie)

Comments

1. darkclawsofchaos says:

Latex is still cheaper, though, the only drawback is that it breaks and can reduce sensation

2. yahonza says:

Not too surprising that competitors are forcing each other’s prices down.

It IS surprising that people tolerate their state government forcing stores to sell things for higher prices.

3. CoffeeAddict says:

I don’t see why the state has to mess with what price stores are selling drugs for. As long as the drugs are safe it should not matter to the state if the drugs were given away for free. I mean what business is of theirs what people charge for their products be it drugs or any other product. Wal-Mart/Target sell many things below their actual cost and no one cries over that. Minnesota, Wisconsin and seven other states need to get a life!!!

4. crazylady says:

@darkclawsofchaos: condoms are less effective..and a form of birth control men use that women don’t necessarily have control over. Why not use both? And at $9/month for hormonal contraceptives, that might almost be cheaper than using a condom every time, if you like doing it a lot.

@CoffeeAddict: HBC is expensive and there’s a lot of controversy over these types of things, but it’s still ridiculous it’s happening in some states. At free clinics and places like Planned Parenthood it’s still cheaper than average or free for people with low enough incomes, although that’s changing now too. And now that colleges don’t offer this stuff at drastically reduced prices…sigh. I get NuvaRing for really cheap/free depending on where I go, I’d hate to know how much they are if I didn’t live in a state (California) that was cool enough to provide them at lower cost. I’ve heard between $30-50/ring..which is per month..ouch.

5. Anonymous says:

$26 for Tri-Sprintec? WTF?

6. jesirose says:

I wish they would add the non-pill type BC to that. Pills are lame.

CrazyLady: It’s $45 monthly here in Texas. When I used to get it at PP, it was still $45.

7. Raziya says:

BC is expensive here in Vermont too – I used to be on the Nuva Ring and even with a discount at Planned Parenthood it was still almost 40 dollars a month, and it was going up all the time!

@jesirose: I do wish there were non pill alternatives too – I don’t take the pill because I know I would forget. :P

8. lestat730 says:

I think this is still a really great sign. As was mentioned in a previous article on Walmarts $4 drugs, it might just be widespread enough to seriously damage the insane profits pharmaceutical companies are pulling in. Now that Target is doing it as well, there might be some real good to come out of this. Ultimately I think EVERYONE in our country should be able to get ANY medicine they need for $4-10 if not less.

9. @crazylady: “Why not use both?

Double Dutch FTW!

10. jrdnjstn78 says:

I used to use the NuvaRing too and it cost me around 35$ a month(I’m in Texas).

I used the patch for about 3 yrs and that cost me 7$ a month.

11. rg says:

Based on what you see (and hear) being pushed around in strollers these days, I think birth control should be available in vending machines and even in gumball machines.

12. Laws in Minnesota, Wisconsin and seven other states prevent pharmacies from selling drugs below their true cost.

Um, why? I mean, I know the real reason(s) why but what excuse do they give for making a discount illegal?

Inexpensive and easily obtainable birth control is a good thing. The government has no business trying to stop that from happening.

13. SwatLax says:

Anyone know the other states that prohibit selling drugs and other products below cost?

14. @Rectilinear Propagation:

Minnesota Attorney General Mike Hatch says there’s no state law that requires Wal-Mart and Target to price certain generic drugs above $4.

Hatch says what’s illegal is when businesses intentionally lose money in an effort to force their competitors out of business. But Hatch says Minnesota law sets a pretty high standard.

15. zanhecht says:

The states that prohibit selling drugs below cost are: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Minnesota, Montana, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.