Google: "Online Advertising Benefits Consumers"

Google told the United States Senate that “online advertising benefits consumers” while defending its deal to purchase “advertising tools supplier” DoubleClick:

“The online advertising business is complex, but my message to you today is simple: Online advertising benefits consumers, promotes free speech, and helps small businesses succeed. Google’s acquisition of DoubleClick will help advance these goals while protecting consumer privacy and enabling greater innovation, competition, and growth.”

“In our experience, our users value the advertisements that we deliver along with search results and other web content because the ads help connect them to the information, products, and services they seek. Simply put, advertising is information, and relevant advertising is information that is useful to consumers. The advertising we deliver to our users complements the natural search results that we provide, because our users are often searching for products and services that our advertisers offer. Making this connection is critical. In fact, we strive to deliver the ads that are the most relevant to our users, not just the ones that generate the most revenue for us.”

Do you appreciate Google’s relevant advertising? We’re too lazy to form an opinion of all of this, so we’ll just link to Cory Doctorow’s new story about an evil Google.

Our Senate testimony on online advertising and Google-DoubleClick [Google Public Policy Blog]
Scroogled [Radar]

Comments

1. madanthony says:

Well, something needs to pay for online content. I’d rather deal with the occasional ad than have to pay for content. Google’s ads are generally less intrusive than many other company’s, and they provide a good source of revenue for part-time casual webmasters and bloggers as well.

2. timmus says:

Online advertising … helps small businesses succeed.

Uh, yeah. I seem to recall all the DoubleClick ads that I’ve blocked have been from Ford, Holiday Inn, and so forth. Small indeed.

3. TechnoDestructo says:

Google does a better job than anyone else, but I only rarely see any Google ads I give a shit about.

I think the problem is no one is selling things that I give a shit about, or at least not advertising them.

4. l951b951 says:

I could be mistaken, but won’t Google pull it’s ad revenue if your site has what they deem “Innappropriate content”? Again, I’m not certain about this, but I recall a blogger toning down his content because some ad source was threatening to not pay him. If I remember correctly, and Google was the culprit, it kinda negates their “promotes free speech” idea.

5. kingoman says:

The only virus my machine has ever tried to download came from a Google ad. Fortunately, ZoneAlarm stopped it from completing its mission.

Nobody wants to specialize in advertising for themselves, so they use 3rd party suppliers, making it difficult so trace the real source of the ad and especially difficult to hold someone responsible for the content. Deniability for everybody — everybody wins. Except us, of course.

And people ask me why I block ads. Hmph.

6. LucyInTheSky says:

i don’t care what great stuff advertising does, i still hate it.

7. Chicago7 says:

Double Click is the one I completely blocked 10 years ago, right?

8. dextrone says:

Google is pretty good compared to the other ones which are more annoying.

9. Jeff_McAwesome says:

I would just like to take this time to tell anyone who hasn’t already done this: Download Firefox and AdBlock Plus. You will never see an online advertisement again.

10. StevieD says:

I have never seen an add. Actually I know they are there, I just completely ignore any adds.

11. infopubs says:

There are ads on websites? From Google? I haven’t seen one since I started using FireFox with AdBlocker. Seriously, the ads simply disappears. So nice, so peaceful.

12. dogmatixx says:

I’ll stay out of whether Doubleclick is bad in particular, but I think they’re 100% right that online advertising has been a good thing. You know all of those online services that you enjoy, including every big blog and google and just about everything else. if these companies couldn’t make money from advertising, they wouldn’t exist. The only alternative would be some kind of micropayment system, and subscriptions. Needless to say, your choices would be very constrained. It would look a lot more like 1993 AOL than 2007 Internet out there.

Ad advertising does benefit small business. They’re not talking about the big business advertisers (like Ford), but the small business publisher, like the scrappy upstart blog network or new Web 2.0 hot property.

Yes, many sites abuse their readers by getting suckered by the ad brokers and agreeing to run overly intrusive ads. Just like some TV shows put in hamfisted product placement or run too many commercials. But don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.