Charger Boxes Getting More Advanced

We’ve talked about these before, but we really like the idea of keeping our chargers neat and organized and the boxes people are making seem to be getting more and more advanced. This box also has the benefit of multiple switches so you can easily cut power to whatever device you have plugged in, should that be your desire. Nifty.

In any case, this one looks pretty but nearly the same organizing effect can be achieved without the special switches.

Power Charging Box [Instructables]

Comments

1. Alvis says:

That looks bulky and silly – how is flipping a switch any easier than just unplugging a device? And why take up all that space with a big plastic box? A power strip with a few charging adaptors is much sleeker.

2. PDQ2 says:

I remember seeing something much more attractive in a Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn catalog during the summer months. Can’t remember which. Much smaller and you didn’t have to play electrician and build it yourself.

3. Alvis says:

@PDQ2: Wiring a few switches is hardly “playing electrician” any more than screwing a hose to a faucet is “playing plumber”. Why are people so afraid to understand how what they buy works?

4. azntg says:

I would rather tie all the chargers I have and call that “being organized” rather than use such a bulky box.

5. Jared Stenquist says:

I would have to agree on the bulkiness. A box that large for 4 charges seems unnecessary. I don’t know about the rest of you out there, but I can’t see a need for the switches either – maybe one for the whole box.

6. ju-ju-eyeball says:

Please remember: Those power adapters use electricity 24/7, even if the device that uses it is not plugged in to it, like a cell phone, or is plugged in but not turned on, like a computer peripheral. That is just free money to the electric company. Always unplug power adapters from the wall, and save yourself some money. Also, start to notice how many of the damn things you have.

It would be nice if the power adapter makers would make the devices smarter (and greener) by making them not draw AC current when there is no draw on the DC side…

7. Don Roberto says:

@Alvis: Amen, alvis!

8. mwshook says:

I made one of these, and I do think the switches are a bit of overkill, and add too much complexity.

As far as the size of the box, I was surprised just how much space the chargers took up, and I had to buy a larger rubbermaid container than the one I originally bought. When it really comes in handy is travel. My case contains chargers for my wife and myself. All the cables can be stuffed inside, and thrown in the suitcase.

9. the_real_dude says:

You could plug the whole thing into a timer if you are worried about phantom power draw.