Volkswagen Recalls 340k Cars That Fail To Meet US Safety Standards

Volkwagen is recalling 340k cars because they “may be missing required caps in the sockets of the low beam horizontal and vertical aiming screws.” We’re not sure why that is important, but we’re sure that they wouldn’t bother recalling the cars if it wasn’t.

The following cars are included in the recall: 2005-2008 Jetta models and 2006-2008 Rabbit, GTI and R32.

No injuries have been reported. Call Volkswagen with your questions: 1-800-822-8987.

Volkswagen recalls 340,000 cars [CNNMoney]

Comments

1. vex says:

Sounds pretty silly for a recall. There are little screws on the headlamps that let you adjust the direction of the light. Apparently they are missing some kind of cap on top of the screw. I wouldn’t even bother taking my Jetta into a dealer for this.

2. heyguy says:

“Safe happens”

3. Buran says:

I’m not sure, either, but still, not meeting standards is not meeting standards; they’re required to do this by law even if it’s something minor.

I have not seen any problems with my ’07 GTI’s headlights but I will mention this to the servicewriter when I go in for the 5,000 mile service sometime next month.

Basically, if you have a 5th-generation A4 platform vehicle in the US (with a VW badge on it; the Audi A3 is on the same platform but isn’t in the recall because it’s different bodywork and headlight mounts) this is you.

Cost: Free.

And yes, I have my OEM rubber floor mats installed properly. :p

4. Buran says:

@Buran: er, A-platform vehicle. Arrrgh! I meant to say A-platform. (A5)

5. pyloff says:

At least the American car companies are honest with their recalls. Maybe its the fact that the company isn’t forced to be so responsible.

Service jobs are for the win.

6. Extended-Warranty says:

I was so excited to come in and say safe happens :(

7. FishingCrue says:

Without RTFA I’d venture a guess that those are the pins used to align the headlight beam. Failure to have properly aligned headlights in some states could lead to an emissions/vehicle test failure.

8. yg17 says:

@pyloff: Um, I’m confused. How is VW not being honest with this?

9. stevemis says:

@FishingCrue: There are bolts (one horizontal alignment and one vertical) on each headlight assembly (right and left) for alignment. It seems or federal government requires them to be covered. I recently altered the alignment on my MX-5 Miata and lost one of the covers… Here’s to hoping the feds don’t come knocking! :)

10. Chicago7 says:

Good. Maybe this will keep those insane Jetta drivers off the road for a while!

/One almost hit me TODAY! I’m a PEDESTRIAN! And I’m HUGE! It’s almost impossible not to see me! I was wearing RED!!

11. Meg Marco says:

@Chicago7: Were you in Lincoln Park, or is it just a clever name? The Jettas there are deadly.

12. yg17 says:

Well you better watch out, I’ll be an insane GTI driver in about 3 months. And if my GTI isn’t here in 3 months, someone at VW is getting a Birkenstock lubricated with sauerkraut shoved up a certain orifice on their body.

13. Cary says:

I bought a ’98 Audi A4 new and poured money into it for 5 long years.

’bout time somebody put the screws to VW for a change.

14. Buran says:

@yg17: Did you order it? 3 months is a typical average wait for a custom order.

Not all of us are insane. Sure, I stretch its legs a bit from time to time, but never in city traffic, always on untrafficked twisties. Normally, I get passed all the time because I refuse to drive like an ass on city streets.

Love it.

15. pyloff says:

Oh I misread that, thinking low beam was some technical jargon. Guess they meant the headlamp. Never mind my vitriol.

16. Canadian Impostor says:

@Buran: I just got my GTI back from the shop, it was in for over two weeks with an airbag light. :(