RC2 Continued To Sell Lead Tainted "Thomas & Friends" Toys After Initial Recall

According to a recall notice just posted by the CPSC, RC2 is recalling additional “Thomas & Friends” toys that are contaminated with lead-based paint.

According to the recall notice, some of these 200,000 toys were sold after the June 13 recall of 1.5 million other Thomas & Friends toys.

Back in July, Curt Stoelting, the chief executive of RC2, told the New York Times he fired the vendor who made the contaminated toys:

“We’ve always required our suppliers to follow our safety specifications,” Mr. Stoelting said. “In this incident, those requirements were not met.”

“We’re still moving forward with our Thomas product lines,” he said. “Our goal is to use this incident to really improve our procedures, improve our safeguards.”

Mr. Stoelting said RC2 was now “requiring lead testing of every batch of paint used on the Thomas toys.” On its website, RC2 offered this statement in the way of assurances:

Are the other Thomas Wooden Railway products safe?
To assure that the toys families already have are safe, more than 1,500 individual Thomas & Friends™ Wooden Railway toy styles were retested. By casting this wide net, we discovered that five additional toys were potentially unsafe and they are being recalled. If we discover any further issues either with current products or past production, we will react quickly to take action and inform consumers, just as we did in September 2007. We’re hopeful that concerned parents, recognize that our Thomas toys have been subjected to intense scrutiny and testing and are that much safer for it.

Unless we’re mistaken this means, “We have no idea, but we really hope so.”

Toy-Train Maker Discusses Lead Paint Problem [NYT]
Voluntary Recall Safety Information [RC2]
RC2 Corp. Recalls Additional Thomas & Friends™ Wooden Railway Toys Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard [CPSC]

Comments

1. KEHT says:

Pretty soon kids will only be able to play with themselves. But only after they pass all lead secretion tests.

2. Dibbler says:

I’m really getting a little tired…no, a lot tired of hearing about this lead paint. I’m guessing that the kid would need to scrape all the paint off the train and eat it to get any kind of reading. What we need to do is figure out a way to stop the media from turning EVERYTHING into some kind of “we’re all going to die!” situation. I’ve always prided myself because I’ve tried to keep up on current affairs but I find myself avoiding the media because I’m so sick of all the crap. Oh and also… I’m sick of hearing about these nazi t-shirts. I’d buy one if I saw one for sale. I think they’re cool looking.

3. Hanke says:

OK, this bothers me greatly because one of the recalled items this time is THE FREE CAR THEY GAVE US AS AN APOLOGY!

4. ndonahue says:

Three points:

1) Keht, funny!

2) Dibbler, you’re an idiot. You’re misinformed about the danger of lead poisoning.

3) At least RC2 is now providing mailing labels so that people don’t have to worry about not getting all their shipping costs refunded.

5. Dibbler says:

NDonahue, you’re an idiot. You’re duped by the fear mongers. Maybe you could teach me all you know about lead. Could you let me know the ppm of this paint? I’d like to research it myself and come to my own conclusion and not what a journalist tells me is true.

6. rwshep2000 says:

From their apology letter, wherein they explain why I need to return the apology gift “Toad” they sent when I returned the tainted-red caboose:

“Unfortunately, the discovery that certain Toad vehicles could be potentially unsafe was made in August, after Toads had been sent as bonus gifts to some families. Many of the Toad bonus gifts are safe, however some may not be. If you received a Toad vehicle as a bonus gift from us, please check its underside for the tracking code 1656OW00 to determine if it is one of the recalled toys.”

My goodness how embarassing is that?