Spelling Bee Champ Lands Lucrative Walmart Sign Making Job

Besides the obvious misspelling, it seems now that Walmart considers a measuring cup a “gadget.” Ooh, look at these fancy graduated lines! Futuristic. Someone send Gizmodo a press release.

(Photo: irgreendevil)

Comments

1. mantari says:

Perhaps Wal-Mart actually sells a device which sorts and grades cheese by quality? Didjya ever stop and think of that? Huh?

2. homerjay says:

Oh please, CLEARLY that sign is advertising a gadget that allows you to accurately grade cheeses based on their age, color, and quality.

3. Sudonum says:

Does WalMart actually grade their cheese themselves?

4. homerjay says:

@mantari: damn you….

5. blue_duck says:

@Sudonum: Obviously not, hence the selling of the cheese grader…

6. goodguy812 says:

i’ll give wal-marts cheese an C-.
    but obviously since wal-mart pays the individual the grades thier cheese, i expect then to say A+.

7. goodguy812 says:

whoops looks like i’m no grammer master! an=a, and the=that on previous post. damn i should read these things before submitting.

8. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

It could be worse: it could be a misspelled sign front of a school.

When I taught elementary school, our kind, sweet custodian with limited English skills misspelled “Spring Break”, “Spring Breack”. When I asked my principal to correct it, she shrugged and said she wasn’t paying the custodian more overtime to climb back up there to fix it.

9. goodguy812 says:

i love mispelled signs! they are so funny! jay leno has a segment dedicated to mispelled ads and signs. conan has a spoof of it thats pretty funny also.

10. goodguy812 says:

i have actually seen a “dynasty buffet” that had the d and y burned out. it was pretty good!

11. Jon Mason says:

is is just me or does that look clearly photoshopped?

12. drawp says:

This is a fairly widespread problem. I’m going to start taking a picture everytime.

I’ve also seen ‘Congradulations’ above the greeting card aisle.

13. King of the Wild Frontier says:

I thought that cheese graders were used in Wisconsin to give the cheese a nice flat surface to construct houses on, with the removed cheese later being ground up and sold as Parmesan. But I could be wrong.

P.S. The above pic makes it look like Wal-Mart has an aisle with only those products in it. Damn, they are big.

14. acambras says:

And if you look at the Oneida sign right next to it, you can see the proper spelling for grater — it was like there was a crib sheet right there.

15. bbbici says:

i’m pretty sure that icon is a blender, not a measuring cup.

“kitchen gadgets” is an accepted term for miscellaneous kitchen and cooking tools and accessories.

But yeah, that spelling of grater is pretty lame.

16. kweee says:

Okay Ben, we get it. Wal-Mart can’t spell, and you can. Quit posting this garbage and go after some real consumer news.

17. lilyHaze says:

@masonreloaded: I think it’s photoshopped too. I’ve never seen such weird examples of a particular category.

Even though it’s a bit of a lame topic, I give props for the title alone.

18. Hoss says:

It’s one store in Hoboken (or whereever) — not on the level of showing spelling ingorance on their blog…

19. The_Shadow says:

@masonreloaded: The image looks photoshopped to me too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone put the image together just to get Consumerist to post it.

20. mrdelayer says:

The D is skewed just enough for me to call bullshit.

21. xaqar says:

@goodguy812: ynast buffet? ;)
    But seriously – this does look quite fotoshopt.

22. ptkdude says:

Perhaps they have customers who build roads out of cheese!

23. The Walking Eye says:

What in the world is a “gradated” line? Do you mean graduated, Ben? Or were you making a funny?

24. TechnoDestructo says:

How about a road grader, painted off-white, with little “holes” painted on it?

25. thepounder says:

@mrdelayer: The D isn’t “skewed”, the paper’s wrinkled. They print those stupid little slide-in sheets on regular paper.

Why would anyone think this is Photoshopped? Do you really have that much faith in WalMart employees’ ability to spell and/or use good grammar?
    I’m just saying… people never use spell-check when they really should, but in this case it wouldn’t have caught it anyhow.

Plus, apparently any old reason to pick on WalMart is a good one here, with all the usual “I hate WalMarx, WalMarx is the devil” comments, etc. It’s all good.

26. morganlh85 says:

That looks pretty Photoshopped to me…look at the difference in contrast.

27. Brett.Haddock says:

This is not a photoshopped picture, I’m the one who took it.

Here’s another picture of it:

. . . and if you feel the need to call it photoshopped, don’t bother replying.

28. Jesse in Japan says:

How many times has this happened to you: you’re in a very fancy restaurant and you order something with cheese in it. When you bite into it, you realize that they’ve used very low quality cheese. When you complain to the waiter, he assures you that they use only the highest quality cheeses. When you say, “This cheese is no good! I’m not paying for this!” they call the cops.

Well, no more. With the cheese grader at your side, you’ll know exactly what kind of cheese they’re using.

29. glycolized says:

No, this is correct. A cheese grader – you should see how well it grates your cheese!

I picture a little, yellow, scale model of a road grader. Put batteries in it, and set it down on a giant 5 lb. block of surplus cheese. It then drives around sloughing off little bits of cheese that it ejects into a little cup you hold, following it around it’s little cheese track.

That’s a gadget for sure.

30. David Millar says:

It looks pretty much shopped. I can tell by some of the pixels and because I’ve seen quite a few shops in my day. I mean, the bottom 3 lines of text look too clean and have the wrong font compared to the top line. It’s a bit unrealistic to say the least.

31. anderswright says:

You mock me and the rest of the cheese graders out there.

32. dayjayvw says:

aren’t these topics screened? who allowed this to even make it to the website?

33. Charmander says:

A measuring cup is a gadget. Like measuring spoons, it is always found with the kitchen gadgets at any store.

What else could it be?

Cookware? No. Appliance? No. Storage Containers? No. Baking item? No. Cutlery? No. Dishware? No. Flatware? No.

What the hell else could it be?????