1 Million Cribs Recalled After 2 Deaths

About 1 million Simplicity cribs were recalled yesterday due to several deaths related to a defect which can cause children to become trapped and suffocate.

Apparently, the drop-side can detach from the crib, which can create a dangerous gap and lead to entrapment and suffocation.

The Simplicity models included in the recall are: Aspen 3 in 1, Aspen 4 in 1, Nursery-in-a-Box, Crib N Changer Combo, Chelsea and Pooh 4 in 1. The recall also involves the following Simplicity cribs that used the Graco logo: Aspen 3 in 1, Ultra 3 in 1, Ultra 4 in1, Ultra 5 in 1, Whitney and the Trio.

The cribs were sold from 1998 to May 2007.

According to the New York Times, some of the older recalled cribs feature Winne-the-Pooh, but Disney no longer licenses its characters with Simplicity. The cribs were made in China and sold at Target and Walmart among other retailers.

This isn’t the first recall for Simplicity, they’ve been subject to 4 recalls since 2005, according to the NYT.

“Simplicity builds safe products, and we work every day to make our products better and better,” Mr. Waldman,president for Simplicity said. The company is offering repair kits, but would not tell the NYT if refunds would be provided to customers who requested them.

Here’s Simplicity’s contact info: (888) 593-9274 between 8:30 a.m. and 10 p.m. ET Monday through Thursday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET on Friday, and between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET on Saturday
www.simplicityforchildren.com

Cribs Recalled After Deaths of 2 Children [NYT]
About 1 Million Cribs Recalled Due To Failures Resulting In Infant Deaths [CPSC]

Comments

1. CoffeeAddict says:

I’m very glad our crib is not one of those affected but that is scary that mistakes like this are still being made with the strict QA requirements these days. Companies really need to think about who they are making these products for, babies. They are defenceless and their crib should be a haven and a place of rest not a death trap.

2. faust1200 says:

I’m not trying to defend Simplicity but it should be mentioned that in both the deaths the one side of the crib had been installed upside-down creating gap where the babies were killed.

3. Hanke says:

The version of this story I saw said that the isues was the persons assembling the crib were installing the rail UPSIDE-DOWN.

4. Amelie says:

Since the crib is made overseas, it has to be shipped in a flat pack, which means the customer has to set it up themselves. Ah, the days when you could go to the store and have the USA made crib delivered in one piece, or at least set up for you.

5. SaveMeJeebus says:

I like to consider myself a smart guy, and I built one of these cribs. The front piece is a little difficult to discern which end is top and bottom, and in the case of these cribs, the instructions were misprinted. They should make the panels so that the holes are staggered in a manner so that it only goes in one direction. People (ok, guys) insist on assembling shit without using instructions and in the case of a crib, it looks really obvious but it isn’t always the case. RTFM people, won’t somebody think of the children?

6. ColoradoShark says:

@SaveMeJeebus: I was wondering what the whole story was. I heard the only way the crib could be a danger was if it was assembled wrong. With your explanation I consider it a design defect because it should have been designed to be very difficult to assemble wrong. Your suggestion for offsetting holes should be something every designer just knows to do.

7. Hanke says:

@SaveMeJeebus: Y’know, I NEVER have this kind of problem with Ikea.

8. cjc says:

So, it’s made in China, but the problem is a US-based design issue that let consumers incorrectly assemble the product?

9. kenposan says:

The only reason China is mentioned is because of the whole lead thing. It has nothing to do with people putting the things together wrong.

And I’m sorry, but from the story I saw on TV, it would take an idiot to put it together wrong. There is scroll work on the crib rail and the hardware goes facing down. Common sense (yes, I know) would tell you that if the ornate part of the crib is on the bottom and the hardware is on the top, you put it together wrong.

Go ahead and flame me, I’ve put together my share of furniture, including cribs.

10. Anonymous says:

I had a one of the defective cribs – they send you a replacement part for free takes 2-4 weeks to arrive.

When installed correctly it’s a solid system that you can apply quite a bit of pressure to without any issues. When installed incorrectly, the whole front gate on the crib would be loose and off of it’s hinge…in which case I would hope a parent would realize the potential danger and correct the problem.

11. ooolam says:

If this is design issue, the headline and short description from CNN is very misleading.

Headline:
    “1 million Chinese-made cribs recalled”

Short Description:
    “Simplicity brand cribs made in China are recalled following reports of three infant deaths and entrapment; suffocation concerns.”

[money.cnn.com]

Shouldn’t they rephase it to “1 million US-Designed cribs recalled”?

Also, another interesting reading: “Mattel apologizes to China for toy recalls”
    [money.cnn.com]