Mark Your Calendars: Do Not Call List Numbers Start Expiring In June 2008

The “Do Not Call List” comes with a built in expiration date, and the date is coming soon for people who signed up for the list when it first started.

If you signed up in June 2003, your name will drop off of the list in June 2008 if you don’t renew it. The good news is that it’s not exactly difficult to do:

“It is incredibly quick and easy to do,” Lydia Parnes, director of the FTC’s bureau of consumer protection, said in an interview with The Associated Press this week. “It was so easy for people to sign up in the first instance. It will be just as easy for them to re-up.”

So remember, kids. Re-up your Do Not Call subscription! Remind your parents! Tell a friend!

Telemarketers: they have your number
[CNNMoney](Thanks, B N!)

Comments

1. cuiusquemodi says:

Oh, when your registration expires, you’ll know. You’ll know (insert evil laughter here).

2. Trai_Dep says:

Why did they make the list expire in the first place? Did they really think someone that placed themselves on the list would get LONELY?!

Oh. Republican-controlled Congress. Got it. Never mind.

3. kingoman says:

Numbers change. If you were signed up permanently, then whoever had your number after you would still be signed up (which as far as I’m concerned would be fine, but…). I can see how they’d have a problem with that, eventually ALL numbers would be on the list!

The right thing would be for the government to get monthly lists of disconnected numbers from all the local phone companies so they could remove a number when it changed hands. But that would require coordination and work, so that won’t happen, it’s easier just to expire it. Be glad it’s 5 years instead of one!

BTW, you can re-up anytime, you don’t have to wait for it to expire. I’m 10 months from expiration now and I just re-registered so now I’m good to 2012!

4. homerjay says:

If only I had more time to re-up! I don’t know if I’ll get around to it by June ’08!

5. MercuryPDX says:

@kingoman: Yep. Figured better safe than sorry. I’m good to 2012 too. Woot!

6. Major-General says:

Funny story, I was told by a Verizon rep that if I was able to renew it, then the number wasn’t actually on the list.

So tip for the future: Verizon will try their best to tell you that the harrassing phone calls aren’t harrassing.

7. kingoman says:

@Major-General: Hee hee. Depends on what the definition of “is” is, eh?

I went through the “verify your number is on the list” process first and, yes, I verified my number was, indeed, on the list. Then I renewed it. No problem.

I’ve never been a Verizon customer, but based on what I’ve heard about them (from dozens of people), I’ll work hard to never be one!

8. kimsama says:

@homerjay: I lol’d ^_^

9. Anonymous says:

@trai_dep:
    well at least the republicans helped to get that list established. i dont recall seeing anything like this available under any democrat era.

10. Fatlimey says:

Now *THIS* is why we love The Consumerist – you’re looking out for us! I now officially love you people. Mwah!