AT&T Promises Nationwide Naked DSL By The End Of The Year

Naked DSL, (DSL without the requirement to have a landline), will be available nationwide by the end of the year, according to statement made by AT&T to the Wall Street Journal.

AT&T Inc., the nation’s largest phone company, isn’t fighting the consumer shift, partly because its cellphone unit, which launched Apple Inc.’s iPhone this summer, is benefiting from the trend. Ralph de la Vega, AT&T’s group president for regional telecommunications and entertainment, said in some parts of the country, the company is no longer requiring customers to buy land-line voice service in order to get a discounted rate on high-speed Internet access. He says: “Our point of view is, if you don’t want it, we won’t force you to buy it.” The plan will be available nationwide by the end of the year.

AT&T is required to offer naked DSL as part of concessions made to the FCC in order to acquire BellSouth (and take control of Cingular), so this was expected. However, it is nice to hear they won’t be burying naked DSL under untold layers of bullsh*t designed to keep customers from accessing it.

Companies Try to Teach Old Phones New Tricks (subscription) [WSJ] (Thanks, Steven!)
RELATED: AT&T Giving Consumers The Runaround Over Secret $10 DSL
AT&T Will Sell $20 “Naked” DSL

Comments

1. Buran says:

Now are we going to be able to find it on their website?

2. ltlbbynthn says:

You don’t need a landline if you get DirectTv bundled with internet, but only if you have a Verizon Wireless cell phone. Why did it take so long for everyone to realize this is a really freaking lame policy?

3. FullFlava says:

Anyone know if this offer is still going to be restricted to their slowest DSL package? 768k is way too slow for me.

4. BrockBrockman says:

@FullFlava: The RIAA obviously prefers the 768k speed. Maybe a conspiracy to oppress download speeds!?

The need for a direct phone line for DSL is entirely stupid, and just a measure to try to get you to bundle.

Reading between the lines, I think AT&T must be developing some sort of VOIP service.

5. rekoil says:

AT&T already has a VoIP Service; they only market it in areas where they don’t own the landline, however (read: Verizon and Qwest territory).

The real reason for this, IMO is that cellular service is far more lucrative than landline dialtone. If AT&T can convince the customer to make calls from home on an AT&T cellphone instead of their landline, that’s far more profitable than the same calls made on a flat-rate $20/month landline service.

6. Hedgy2136 says:

Here in AT&T Southeast country, all we have to do is call the DSL sales line and ask for “Bundle 97″ (I think, more info is on dslreports.com under the AT&T Southeast forum). As far as I know, all packages are available and there is a $15.00 per month line access charge that is discounted to $5.00.

7. Hedgy2136 says:

From DSLReports.com:

“After months of waiting i managed to get Stand Alone FastAccess. It is available upon request through Customer Service 1(888)757.6500. SAFA Line $15/mo – $10 DSL Line Credit + Your choice of DSL Ultra or Higher. Refer to Bundle 97. No Cellular/Voice/TV requirements.

SAFAL + DSL Ultra =$37.95
    SAFAL + DSL Xtrme 3.0=$42.95
    SAFAL + DSL Xtrme 6.0=$47.95″

8. projoe1979 says:

I like having the phone that way I don’t have to have my cell phone on my hip all the time, but last week I just put in call to have my plan reduced to the measured service. We can only make 25 outgoing calls, but incoming is unlimited. Instead of paying 30 we’re paying 7 bucks. For DSL we got the slowest connection available and it’s definitely a beating, but since we’re on a tight budget we make due. It also keeps me from spending hours and hour sitting in front of the PC like I used to when we had Time Warner.

9. mopar_man says:

I’m looking forward to this. AT&T is really my only option for internet providers where I am. It’s either $15 DSL or $40 cable from Charter. I’ve really had no problems with their service so far. We just don’t really need the landline so I’m hoping we can get rid of it.

10. Scooter says:

Sure, AT&T. Whatever you say.

11. Squeezer99 says:

will they offer this to existing customers? i have bellsouth dsl and land line. and i’d love to drop the land line and get a non-AT&T cell phone.

12. Hedgy2136 says:

@ SQUEEZER99

Yes, existing customers are eligible for the offer.

13. TheBigLewinski says:

Hmmm a Naked Damn Sexxy Lady (DSL) for $20 bucks, now that’s a steal.

14. davere says:

Anything to stop giving my cable company money.

15. LatherRinseRepeat says:

I don’t know why AT&T waited so long. Verizon has been offering naked DSL for a little over a year now. And it’s easy to sign up for it. But then again, I guess there’s no incentive for AT&T to be competitive, since you can’t sign up for Verizon DSL if your area is serviced by AT&T, and vice versa.

16. FullFlava says:

@Hedgy2136:

Can you hook a brotha up with a link to that? I’m severely interested. My $25 DSL line requires a $13/mo phone line, but the goddamn phone line has $15/mo in surcharges, which is completely ridiculous. I pay almost $30 a month extra for a landline that I literally have never used.

17. Hedgy2136 says:

@FULLFLAVA:

Currently, the offer is extended only to AT&T Southease customers, and the minimum service you can get is DSL Ultra (1.5/256) at $37.95 per month which includes the line charge. Also, since the service is unregulated, there are no junk fees.

If you meet the basic requirements, call 1(888)757.6500 and ask for Bundle 97.

18. UpsetPanda says:

Verizon already offers this, which surprised me, because I talked to one customer service woman who said that I needed a land line, another who said that I didn’t, and finally one who said that I only needed a land line to be billed in paper, and if I didn’t have one, then they would just bill me online.

19. axiomatic says:

Screw this, I want a company to offer me a symmetrical connection. (That means is has the same upload speed as download speed.)

Verizons FiOS is the only residential level product I know of that has this, but they have not deployed in Houston, TX yet.

Sure I could buy a T1 line or some other expensive commercial line, but commercial pricing is lunacy. Commercial lines in Houston from any of the available companies only have higher pricing going for them. All the companies use the same support center, same everything, except that the commercial lines have a different sales force and pricing model. Thats it.

Why anyone pays for a commercial line with any company in Houston is beyond me. You pay more for the same service as a residential line. Is this situation the same in all US states?

20. Geekybiker says:

Man, I wish I could get DSL. Live smack in the middle of the Chicago burbs, have two choices for cable modems, but my line length is too long for DSL.

21. OnceWasCool says:

Not really clear on who needs to be naked. My DSL don’t go faster when I get naked. Or does it…hmm

22. SugarRob says:

I live in Austin, TX and I have received a mailing from AT&T promoting their ‘naked’ DSL. I don’t if I received it because I’m a Cingular/AT&T customer or if it was a blanket mailing. I thought I remembered reading that it was only available in two cities at the moment. Chicago might have been the other one referenced in the mailing.

23. I live in Pikesville Maryland. As I can’t get FiOS here and I can’t get DSL here from any company (Not even Verizon who offers DSL and FiOS say about… 5 miles away?) and my only option is Cable which I mooch (with permission) since I’m not touching Comcast with a 9 foot pole (The 10 foot pole is doing just fine at the moment). Therefore, I seriously doubt I’ll be seeing so called “naked” DSL in my neighborhood anytime soon. But by the slim chance it does and I can legitimately pulldown anything in the neighborhood of say… 10mbps (There’s a DSL provider here who gives 10mbps down and up) then we may be on to something. Aside from that, I won’t even hold my breath.

24. Squeezer99 says:

thanks, i just called and got my land line dropped w/ bundle 97 and then got a $30/month cell phone through sprint sero.

25. royal72 says:

[multiple choice question, please select one answer]

would you purchase at&t naked dsl service?
    …(a) i don’t care.
    …(b) i hate, hate, hate, really-fucking-hate at&t.
    …(c) i will never, ever do business with them.
    …(d) i hope they die a horrible, painful death.
    x (e) all of the above.

26. goodguy812 says:

we should all have FREE INTERNET!! lol. well there are cities that offer free wi-fi.

27. bnosach says:

Bigd deal, Qwest is already doing this for $36.99/month with 2-year contract agreement. I would never use crappy AT&T as my service provider.

28. Shadowfire says:

Nationwide, huh? Huh..

Huh huh..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahaha….

29. MonkeySwitch says:

I already have Naked DSL with AT&T with the 6MB package! We called over two months ago and said we wanted to drop our land line. My boyfriend had to literally hang up on two people who denied that this was possible before connecting with someone who said, “oh yeah.. you can do this!” He then had to be transferred to another person who had to tell us all the cons of not having a land line (No 911, no digital cable), none of which were really true.

30. goodguy812 says:

road runner is just as cheap. i have road runner (time warner) cable internet, but do not have cable, or home phone. $35 per month.

31. Anonymous says:

I used to work for AT&T as a DSL tech. A DSL line without a phone line is called a “dry loop,” and they’re so common that we were trained on how to handle them. The BTN starts with a zero, if you do get a dry loop, be sure to keep all documentation if you have to call billing or tech support, otherwise you’ll get lost in the wonderful world of transfers. I’ve personally had a dry loop with Qwest, and I’ve taken calls from customers using AT&T who had dry loops. It’s nothing new, you just need to know what to ask for.

I worked there the end of last year spilling over to this year for a month or two.

32. vanierstein says:

I have read with great interest the commentary regarding AT&T/Cingular/Bellsouth’s “runaround” on actually even admitting that they offer stand-alone DSL WITHOUT a land line/voice option.All because I am entering the maddening circle of the run-around myself. However, asking for the “dry loop” package by name SEEMS to hold some promise,but I’ll get back with The Consumerist on how that goes….At&t/Bell/Cingular [Heretofore referred to as Bell,because that's what they really are], has just started their false promises with me, but I am learning tips and pointers as I go along. If I remember my history correctly,the Feds asked Rockefeller himself to author the early antitrust laws himself because only He knew All The Tricks. Seems as as if Bell has reunited all the babies back together under the same umbrella. Perhaps we need to find a modern-day Rockefeller to author new anti-trust statutes? Looking forward anxiously to all tips,tricks,pointers and aces up the sleeve on the consumers part.Perhaps the Informed Consumer can still have the upper hand. With warmest regards[pun intended] your live correspondent from the seventh circle of Dante’s Hell, signing off..