Dole "Hearts Delight" Bagged Lettuce Recalled For E. Coli

Dole is recalling bagged lettuce tainted with e. coli today, so you’ll want to check your fridge lest you develop bloody diarrhea.

The e. coli tainted product is Dole’s “Hearts Delight” bagged salad mix. It has a “best if used by (BIUB)” date of September 19, 2007, and a production code of “A24924A” or “A24924B” stamped on the package. The “best if use by (BIUB)” code date can be located in the upper right hand corner of the front of the bag. The salad was sold in plastic bags of 227 grams in Canada and one-half pound in the U.S., with UPC code 071430-01038.

“Hearts Delight” was sold in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritime Provinces in Canada and in Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and neighboring states in the U.S..

Got questions? Pester the Dole Consumer Center at 800-356-3111. If you’ve got the salad in your fridge—throw it out.

The Consumerist takes this opportunity to remind you that its not difficult to chop lettuce and that the FDA “Food Czar”,”David W.K.,” says that no one should ever buy bagged salad because it is unsafe.

Dole Fresh Vegetables Announces Voluntary Recall of ‘Dole Hearts Delight’ Packaged Salads [FDA]

Comments

1. blue_duck says:

Woot! No e. coli for Missouri!

2. AcidReign says:

They won’t get my Fresh Express bagged spinach back! No way! We braved the blistering boiled baby parking lot last Saturday in Ft. Walton, and I have been eating lucious spinach salads ever since!

Spinach is good for you. I’ve been on the “disabled list” for the past 8 weeks, with tennis elbow. This morning, I finally put on an elbow brace, and powered by spinach, I hit the tennis courts with my son. And, I only lost 6-3, 6-5! Not bad, after a 2 month layoff! Go spinach!

3. Seriously.. what the F***! I’m going to go live in a cave soon. Brokerages spewing personal information… Monster.com freely distributing personal information… toys with lead… salad that makes your ass bleed.

4. UpsetPanda says:

“Tennessee and neighboring states in the U.S..”

Neighboring states? Is it THAT difficult to just type out the other states so that people don’t get confused and think they are safe from e.coli? For heaven’s sake, there aren’t that many bordering any of those states, and there’s a recall. Someone was lazy at the keyboard…

5. Jigen says:

Nice, we sell this stuff where I work. I’ll have to check tomorrow and see if we have it on the shelves.
    Also, I can tell you first hand, e. coli sucks so much ass. Pray you never get it.

6. spevman says:

Great, I just bought some Dole Iceberg Salad. I know its not the “Hearts Delight” but it still contains lettuce from Dole. Now I’m afraid to eat it!

7. UpsetPanda says:

This reminds me of the peanut butter salmonella recall. I hardly ever eat peanut butter, but for some reason we had a jar of it in the house. A few months after the recall, and things had calmed down, I looked in the pantry and actually found one of the diseased jars, sitting on the shelf all innocent.

8. Rusted says:

@MissJ: Neighboring states of Tennessee, which I live in one.

Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and Missouri. That’s just the ones directly adjoining. Illinois isn’t too far away.

9. Anonymous says:

Hi,
    Id like to introduce myself………
    I’m the guy that has been for 5 days,bleeding and dripping from my butt. Yesw I did eat your salad,and yes my wife and I have the same symtoms.
    ITs been hell…. Thanks Dole,for the memories.
    Guess we will be passing up the dole products at Shoprite.