Uhual truck kills renter trying to stop Uhaul truck from killing Uhaul worker. Truck had a history of parking brake failures. Uhaul has history of not making adequate repairs to its trucks. Uhaul says renter is responsible for his own death. [LAT] (Thanks to Alan!)

Comments

1. blue_duck says:

In other words, suicide by Uhaul truck…

2. HeyThereKiller says:

Hopefully they’ll have better luck renting a Hertz..

::rimshot::

yep… tactful

3. veraikon says:

I have nothing to add here other than my Polish in-laws pronounce U-Haul “Ooo-haul”. I think it’s cute.

4. blue_duck says:

@HeyThereKiller: Honestly, I doubt they’ll be renting from anywhere anytime soon. What with them being dead and all…

5. SybilDisobedience says:

Thanks to Consumerist commenters, when my fiance and I moved last month, we steered clear of UHaul and chose a Penske rental truck instead. Commenters here highly recommended them, and they were so right – it cost the same as a UHaul, but the truck was new, clean, and in excellent repair. And no shenanigans on the fees or return policy. Thanks, commenters!!

6. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Just goes to show you…when something is about to kill someone, mind your own damn business.

7. acambras says:

@blue_duck:

In other words, suicide by Uhaul truck…

Tasteless.

8. BrockBrockman says:

U-Haul is so far from the list of companies I’ll even consider doing business with, it’s not even funny.

I have strongly recommended to EVERYBODY I know to never, ever do business with U-Haul, as a direct result of the information I got from the LA Times & Consumerist.

The U-Haul down the street from me could be the safest one in the world, but after reading about the reprehensible actions of what may be just a fraction of their business, I strongly believe that only an out-and-out boycott is the only solution to cleaning up their act.

Civil litigation obviously isn’t helping, as U-Haul would rather continue to smear its own name by fighting for disgusting principle than simply fix their trucks.

9. Anonymous says:

A sort of similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago while returning a trailer I rented. Got it inspected then went inside to finish the paperwork while it was still attached. Once the paperwork was done, they sent a guy out to unhook it. I was on a slight incline, and when the guy took it off my hitch, it started to slowly slide backwards. This genius decided to try to stop it by stepping on the safety chains that were dragging on the ground. Not surprisingly, the chain pulled out from under his foot and he landed on his butt. I had a brief impulse to grab the trailer and stop it, but fortunately my brain kicked in and I took a couple steps backward instead. The trailer then slid into a couple of trucks that were parked on the lot.

No way was I risking injury for this crappy company (or any other for that matter). I looked at the guy on the ground, and after determining that he was OK, said, “Well, my liability ended when the trailer left my hitch.” Sadly, Uhaul is the only company that rents trailers anymore.