Which Cellphone Company Is Best About Fighting Text Message Spam?

Cellphone text message spam is still rare, but annoying, especially as each one usually costs you. If you’re experiencing a deluge, often the only way to fight it is to turn off text messaging entirely, but which providers let you?

Tmobile: No, “because it’s where voice mail and billing notifications are delivered.”
Verizon: Yes,, you can ask for “data” to be shut off, which will turn off text messaging, get it now, mobile web, and mobile email, or just simply ask for them to disable receiving text messages sent from emails or web browsers.
Sprint: Yes.
AT&T: Yes.
Alltel: Yes

Verizon wins. Almost all text-message spam campaigns are run from a computer so disabling receiving messages sent by computer, while still retaining the ability to receive cellphone text messages, is the best option.

For some, there’s no way around text spam [Red Tape Chronicles]
(Photo: NOC)

Comments

1. dawime says:

T-mobile Also allows you to filter messages coming from the web or emails just like Verizon, but not from other phones. I had that done after I received a second text message coming from an email address.

2. goodguy812 says:

i still love my sprint service!!!! and i have never had this spam problem they speak of and i’ve had the same number for 8 years. nor have i ever had a problem with dropped calls like on those comercials. i mean its 2007, who still has a problem with dropped calls? even when i call friends who don’t have sprint, their calls don’t get dropped either, so whats up with that?

3. beavis88 says:

@goodguy812

I still have dropped calls all the time. Welcome to the sticks.

As a side note, it’s very odd for me, as a Verizon customer, to see “Verizon wins” on anything except for how many features they’ve disabled on their hardware…

4. CMU_Bueller says:

I’m pretty sure Alltel can disable text messages from websites and e-mail too. Although this also means you can’t get legit messages from friends/co-workers using AIM.

5. goodguy812 says:

well 812 area code isn’t exactly the center of the universe. pretty woodsy around here too. i guess maybe becuase im on a major hwy and interstate that there may be more towers. but even when i go out of town, as long as my phone displays the tower, even if i have no bars, i still get great reception.

6. emjsea says:

I have Verizon and they blocked all text messages for me. This happened in January and I haven’t received any text messages (including from friends on Verizon) since then. So this is apparently false information.

In fact, when you log onto your account on the internets, you have the option of turning off texts there.

7. Cogito Ergo Bibo says:

Crazy question. If you’ve listed your cell phone number on the Do Not Call List, would spam texting qualify as an unauthorized use of the number for solicitation purposes? I seriously have no clue. Seems as if an argument really could be made that it does.

8. goodguy812 says:

@Cogito Ergo Bibo: i was wondering the same thing about do not call list. apparently what i have learned about it is that you aren’t supposed to need to register your cell becuase federal law already prohibits solicitors from calling your cell, however i registered mine because i was getting sales calls, and i figured at least this way i KNOW for a fact they can’t call.

9. T-mo blocked all non-phone SMS for me on request after a shitload of spam from a .cz domain, but phone-source SMS cannot be turned off. they also credited me for the spam charges.

10. Cogito Ergo Bibo says:

@goodguy812: I registered mine, too. And just within the past couple of weeks, I receieved my first spam text, ever. Wish I’d paid more attention. Next time it happens, I’m going to attempt pursuing it as a Do Not Call violation.

11. Anonymous says:

I recently got some unwanted text messages. I don’t think it was spam. I think the person just sent it to the wrong number. I got 2 in a row with the 2nd saying “nevermind”. I thought that meant the sender realized they had the wrong number. Then two days later I got a 3rd message. I tried calling AT&T to block this number, but as the article confirmed this can’t be done. I don’t want to turn off text messaging completely, but I’m annoyed at being charged 15 cents for a wrong number. When I talked to AT&T the CSR tried to sell me a service for $4.99 a month that would allow me to set up some type of “parental controls” for text messaging.

Okay, so I’m a little upset, but it’s only 45 cents after all. I can afford that. But I need some advice about what to do if this other person keeps messaging me. Should I write back and tell them to stop? Yeah, it’s only 15 cents, but the principle of it really bugs me. Why should I have to pay to get him/her to stop? I thought about calling since I have minutes to spare, but I’m hesitant about letting them know I’m a female. Is that a silly worry?

12. HitLines says:

Block text messages (entirely or by number) by going to My Sprint > My Online Tools > Messaging Settings [[messaging.sprintpcs.com]]

Screenshot: [img265.imageshack.us]

13. larfus says:

About a month ago I had problems with text spam myself. I am a Verizon customer and tried to resolve this through their customer support . The lady on the phone pretty much told me it was my fault I was receiving the text spam and told me either to ignore it or go to another service in which she informed me of my early cancellation fee. I finally called back got a Verizon rep with some customer care and she told me to try the web blocking and this worked. funny thing is I thought I was the only one getting these sort of text messages after dealing with Verizon.

14. azntg says:

I used to have a grandfathered AT&T Wireless account, then I migrated to a Cingular plan while opening a new phone line as well. It turns out that our “new” phone number was the recipient of a lot of spam SMS. Of course, with the Cingular plan, I no longer had the benefit of free unlimited incoming messages.

I called up AT&T customer care and had them block all forms of messaging (except for official messages and star services messages). Hell, they even credited for the spam messages that I was getting on my new phone number. Works for me…

15. allstarecho says:

For anyone using Cellular South, even if you don’t have a text messaging plan, you can still get text messages and emails. Cellular South does not have a way to disable it. Sucks.