This Road Side Sign For Roses Is Not At All Misleading

According to LAist, this small roadside sandwich board type sign is visible “as you drive down Sunset Blvd. eastbound toward Vermont.” As you can see, it’s extremely honest.
honest.jpg

The Most Deceptive Sign in LA
[Laist via BoingBoing]
(Photo:Sonny I. LaVista for LAist)

Comments

1. bsankr says:

At least it isn’t $4.999… deceptive gas stations.

2. bsankr says:

Comparable:

3. amoeba says:

I knew you were going to post this one! I just read it, and the sign is ridiculous. But nice graphic, I like the way they trick you :-)

4. ptkdude says:

@bsankr: Gas stations have always priced like that. This is nothing like gas stations. At a gas station, you pay an extra penny. Here, you’re paying an extra $6.

5. jmschn says:

Great marketing tactic!

6. timmus says:

Nice photoset. This is good old fashioned tongue-in-cheek consumer advocacy which, as a bonus, embarrasses the perpetrators. I’d like to see more of it.

7. blue_duck says:

I like the fact that they’re using the good ol’ honest way of screwing people over :D

8. TPK says:

Aren’t signs like this the reason why hardware stores sell cans of spray paint? ;-)

9. getjustin says:

In reference to the flickr pic above: I’m not too sure that’s actually deceptive. With produce, stores who are offering two-for deals will usually indicate it’s it’s by the pound, or by the piece. It’s 2 for $3 meaning 2 lopes for $3 not 2 lbs. of lopes for $3.

10. lockdog says:

I assume they must mean along Sunset Blvd near Vermont Road or Ave or Stree or something, though when I first read that sentence I began planning one hell of a road trip.

11. TechnoDestructo says:

@getjustin:

That is not even remotely similar. I have never seen a conscious design decision in produce price labels to de-emphasize the piece/weight distinction while still keeping it there.

12. BrockBrockman says:

Whoever made this sign has a good career waiting for him with a major credit card company drafting contracts.

13. EtherealStrife says:

Hahahahahahaha wow. That is awesome. They should remove the dot though.

14. nglatt says:

Even still, not a bad deal for a 1/2 dz roses.

15. homerjay says:

I wonder if MAYBE this sign actually started out as $4 /Doz and was merely altered to reflect rising prices….?

Yeah, probably not.

16. ColoradoShark says:

Notice my name? It is a reference to sharking where you cut out a piece of an illegal sign to disable it. This sign is clearly illegal as it is in the right of way (attached to a lampost. Go ahead and turn them into the local code enforcement people. More info at http://www.causs.org.

17. jamesdenver says:

Hey ColoShark. I’m one too (in Denver) Working hard to keep my neighborhood clear of street spam. (And ugly condo signs)

18. goodguy812 says:

i cannot see my posts ugh!!!

19. goodguy812 says:

ever see a gas station that puts something on their big sign that looks like this
    ____cigs-2.65
    unleaded3.10
    premium 3.65

it always sikes me out for a second until i realize gas isn’t 2.65 per gallon.

20. goodguy812 says:

i hate it when a gas station puts cigs 2.65 or something like that with their big sign right with the gas prices. it always sikes me out.

21. stubblyhead says:

@getjustin: Take a closer look. the sign advertises 2 canteloupes for $3 each, or 2 for $6. I’m not sure if it’s really deceptive, but it certainly is pretty sneaky in my book.

22. FLConsumer says:

@goodguy812: What are you talking about, gas is $2.63/gal here average, $2.56/gal if you know where to look. :P

I personally love this sign. Is it misleading? Sure, if you don’t pay close attention. BUT, it’s nothing like what cell phone, telephone, cable TV, and power companies do.

23. Krycek says:

Where are you at that cigs are 2.65?!?! they’re over $6.00 a pack here.

24. goodguy812 says:

jeez guys it was hypothetical. the numbers arent actual. on signs in my area they want you to confuse the price of their cheapest smokes with the other filling stations price of gas, so you make a u-turn thinking you’ve found the cheapest gas in town. i will take a pic next time i notice and put a link in here to it.

25. synergy says:

If you’re going to buy a dozen roses, $9.98 is pretty damn good. That’s, like, $0.85 per rose. Around here I see them for $1.50 to $2 each.