How To Order A Domain Name From GoDaddy

The times, they are a changin’: whether it’s for business, a hobby, some drunken money-making scheme at three in the morning, or just to feel like you own something (our girlfriend says it’s “the poor man’s real estate”), there’s a good chance that you have bought or will buy a domain name at some point. One of the cheapest and most popular places to do this is GoDaddy.com, and designer C. Julian Klewes has written a handy illustrated guide to getting through their check-out gauntlet unscathed.

If you’ve ever used GoDaddy, you know how confusing it can be to actually make it out alive with your purchase. This is because the GoDaddy checkout sequence is designed like one of those money sorting machines where each level has different holes to sort and catch every single item that passes through it.

Klewes’ guide also has a list of promo codes you can try for additional discounts, although we have no idea if any of them are still valid (but a little Googling should turn up fresh ones if necessary).

Order Domain Godaddy Idiot-safe Guide

Comments

1. mgiampapa says:

We need guides to order a domain name now? Jebus! Please help these poor saps.

This isn’t rocket science. I can’t believe how much time this guy wasted doing this.

2. allstarecho says:

@ MGIAMPAPA: on GoDaddy, yeah, you do need a guide. They try to sell you so much extra shit during your journey to the actual payment that if you don’t look at every single pixel on the screen, you will have forgotten to uncheck something extra and by the time you’ve actually paid, you bought some expensive shit to go along with your new, cheap $7 domain. I’ve bought 17 domains from them. They got me the first time because I missed unchecking a box.

3. thepounder says:

@allstarecho: Ouch. I suppose that’s what keeps them in business then… instead of fine print, they just overload you with too much stuff to read and hope you’ll just neglect to check or uncheck things and poof they’re rich off you.

I wonder, aren’t there decent places to register domain names? (I don’t own one, but I likely will in a year or so, thus I have no experience dealing with this stuff yet)

4. Buran says:

Don’t bother with their “appraisal” service. I wanted to get the .com version of a domain I have the .net and .org for, and they appraised it at $300, then turned around and told me it’d actually cost $30,000.

I kept my $30,000 and replaced my aging car instead.

5. Buran says:

@thepounder: Godaddy is fine as long as you watch for gotchas — I haven’t had any problems with them. Then again, I now have a habit of specifically scanning for “no thanks, continue” links due to a few other sites trying to also scam me with that crap.

Just use your common sense and look at everything on the page that looks like it might be a trap. They really do have decent prices.

6. valkin says:

This was really timely as I wanted to buy a domain name. I wasn’t sure what I needed to get vs what I didn’t. Thanks!

7. Indecision says:

Here’s how I order domains from GoDaddy: [www.dotster.com]

I’ve never needed some kind of guide for how to avoid getting screwed. I’ve registered four domains with them, one of which I transferred from GoDaddy, and everything’s been reasonably clear and scam-free.

8. roche says:

Their site really isn’t that hard. All you have to do is just uncheck most of the boxes. It is so easy even a waterhead could pull it off.

9. weave says:

Godaddy has cheap SSL certificates too, but buying them is a real challenge as well.

First time I did it it took me through the usual pages of useless add-ons, then took my credit card info, then said “Thank you for your purchase” and that was it. I’m like NOW WHAT? No further instructions given.

Turns out I had to go to certificate manager, create yet another account there, find my basket with ssl certs credits or something like that in it, choose to use one, then go through the normal hassle of generating a CSR (the latter not being godaddy’s fault)

10. rphoenix says:

I used to work for GoDaddy. I personally would stay away from them for a couple of reasons. First, they have awful customer service. The call center people have sales quotas, so they are only marginally there to help you. GoDaddy uses domains as a loss leader to get you to buy applications. Their applications are really pretty bad for the most part. The only reason I would use them would be if I was buying hundreds or thousands of domains, if that is your business they are probably worth the hassle. Having said all of that, I have not worked for them for years, so it is possible they have gotten better.

11. yg17 says:

I had domains at GoDaddy, and they relentlessly sent me their newsletters and spam e-mails, despite my repeated requests to stop it. After being ignored by customer service, I decided to move my domains to namecheap.com who has been great. I don’t get any junk e-mails from them, just e-mails related to my domains. Then I found out that I can’t close a GoDaddy account, so I just created a bogus gmail account, put that in my GoDaddy’s account settings, removed all my personal info and let it sit.

If you need a guide to use a site’s checkout, then you probably shouldn’t be ordering from them.

12. Josh Smith says:

Or….order elsewhere.

13. Bob says:

1and1.com

They do domain names and web hosting. They are cheap and don’t bug me.

14. Gev says:

Any online merchant that has what the article author describes as, “spammy clustered Website,” and requires a lengthy tutorial on how to use it does not deserve nor will it get any of my money.

15. lemur says:

I’ve decided to stop doing business with GoDaddy after this story:

[it.slashdot.org]

That’s how I learned that basically if any big corp decides they don’t like you, they can make up whatever complaint they want to GoDaddy, irrespective of whether they really have a legal case or not, and GoDaddy will unregister your site.

I sent GoDaddy an email after that incident. They did not respond and I followed up on my threat. I’m no longer their client.

I’m disappointed that Consumerist would post a guide to buy services from such an anti-customer corporation. It’s not like they are the only registrar out there.

16. Darkstar says:

I use Gandi. Out of France and they won’t let companies steal your domain out from under you.

[www.gandi.net]

Cheap too but price fluctuates with the value of the Euro.

17. beyond says:

GoDaddy is too gimicky and floods you with other offers. There are far better places on the net to register a domain. I have used quite a few.

18. irv says:

Namecheap is excellent: simple with many features. 1&1 is difficult to cancel or transfer from and they automatically renew.

19. LatherRinseRepeat says:

I’ve heard both sides of Go Daddy. But the most troubling story I heard, is that Go Daddy will lock you out of your account and possibly lose your domain name if you’re suspected of spamming. This also applies, if a spammer forges headers and makes it look like the spam is coming from you. Basically, you’re guilty until proven innocent.

20. Buran says:

@yg17: Even better is anything at example com/net/org since those are reserved and used for, well, demo purposes. You might have sent your unwanted email to an innocent person.

I usually use anonymous@example.com.

21. smartwatermelon says:

@Darkstar: Gandi. Best domain registrar ever. I register all my domains through them.

22. DH405 says:

Man, GoDaddy is terrible! Just go to a GOOD site such as http://www.domainsite.com. I’ve had awesome luck with them. I even get straight to a human being if I call them!

23. cortana says:

They also like to resell your domain to someone if it’s a domain they know gets a lot of traffic and they get a bid for it that’s more than you’re ever going to spend with them.

24. mattbrown says:

are you fuckin’ kidding me?!

What the hell is up with the advertising? Even if it’s not paid for… what the hell is this?! What are you thinking?

Get this garbage off here.

25. yg17 says:

@Buran: Ahhh…I should have clarified. I created the Gmail account and have all my godaddy crap send there and I never check it.

26. JoeBagadonuts says:

GoDaddy checkout is a pain in the !@#$ but all you really need to be able to do to get through it is know how to read.

27. I like Chris Pirillio’s code. All .com domains are $6.95.

28. Step #1: Don’t buy a domain name from GoDaddy.

@Bob: I use 1and1 for hosting and domains too, and have always been happy with their prices and customer service. Highly recommended.

29. @rphoenix: I used to work at Go Daddy, too. In fact I was there when they phased in the sales quota requirement in 2002, and was fired (2 weeks later) for not meeting the quota when they wouldn’t tell me what the quota was.

Come to think of it, I was one of the first people put on the a quota system (because I was one of the senior guys on second shift), so I might have been the first person fired for not meeting the quota.

Anyway: Everything rphoneix says is true. Sales quotas for tech support reps. Which I guarantee sucks for both people in the conversation: “Your domain name isn’t working. No problem, we can get that fixed in two days. Would you like to protect your internet identity by registering a .ws domain?” Still makes my head hurt to think about that one….

30. b612markt says:

Allow me to toss my hat into the NAMECHEAP ring. Excellent features and cheap cheap cheap!

31. BrockBrockman says:

Yeah … this “article” does sound ominously like free advertising from GoDaddy. Unless it’s wasn’t “free”, in which case this is even worse. Not that GoDaddy has any trouble paying for advertising.

I’ll advocate doing some online research to figure out the best place to register your domain. There are plenty of good and reputable choices, including GoDaddy and NameCheap. The links to GoDaddy horror stories should be part of your research.

32. a says:

GoDaddy is only the cheapest if you just want a domain (and no web space to put anything on).

I used to have them, and like the guide suggests, it was like getting smacked in the face every time I went to their site.

I recommend BlueHost. Domain AND hosting for a low price, AND great customer support! I have 3 sites with them, and I couldn’t be happier.

33. twigg says:

I don’t know why Consumerist would post a “how to” for such an awful compand with awful service. Intentionally misleading, cluttered interface, hard to navigate, and confusing.

And after you register that domain and decide you actually want a site, their management tools are no better.

I’m a web designer and use either Hostway or Pair for myself and recommend them to all of my clients. Excellent customer service. No, not as cheap as Go Daddy (the Wal Mart of domain registry if you ask me). But a million times better and offering inexpensive plans with real support numbers to reach real service agents in real american cities.

34. informer says:

Looks like lots of people beat me to the punch, but this is a terrible “article” about a terrible company. Godaddy is well known for their shady practices, and their commercials suck too.

35. Caroofikus says:

I’d have to say Lunarpages [www.lunarpages.com] is the best. I’ve used lots of different hosting providers, and not only are they a great value, they also have great support. Email support usually takes less than a day, and they also have toll free tech support (but be prepared to wait for as long as an hour).