Mattel, Lead, Congress, Matthew 19:24

Testifying before congress today, Mattel CEO Robert Eckert demonstrated the size of the aperture it’s easier for a camel to pass through than for a lead toy manufacturer to get into heaven. [NYT]

Comments

1. Canadian Impostor says:

I don’t understand this sentence.

2. axiomatic says:

“Testifying before congress today, Mattel CEO Robert Eckert demonstrated the size of the aperture it’s easier for a camel to pass through than for a lead toy manufacturer to get into heaven.”

Is there some punctuation or a conjunction missing from this sentence?!?!?! Every time I read it it sounds “odd” somehow? I even read it out loud to a co-worker. Something is wrong.

3. OnceWasCool says:

Oh, I get it..
    So it’s kinda like the power of the lead train is greater than the storm forced upon it!

(JK)

4. Egakino says:

It is a reference to a bible quote. He is making a small circle with his fingers in the picture.

“It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” (Matthew 19:24)

5. stubblyhead says:

Let me attempt to rephrase: “Testifying before congress today, Mattel CEO Robert Eckert demonstrated the size of the aperture through which a camel pass with greater ease than the ease in which a lead toy manufacturer to get into heaven.”

Haven’t taken an english class since high school; that’s the best I can do.

6. Egakino says:

@Egakino: On that note I keep thinking of the SNL skit were a corporation was breeding extremely small camels and making very big needles. They also put those camels in a blender and poured it through the needle just in case.

7. starrion says:

” They also put those camels in a blender and poured it through the needle just in case.”

I know it’s SNL but I would be amused if Saint Peter met such a person at the gates with a blender…..

8. megnificent says:

Actually, I think that’s Sen. Bill Nelson, not Robert Eckert.

9. Chicago7 says:

I was at the track today and some Corporation was having their “Day at the Track” outing. Some asshole brought charts and graphs! WTF? It’s supposed to be an outing, not another damned meeting.

/They were all wearing suits, too. To the TRACK! Disgusting!

10. asplodzor says:

It’s still an oddly formed sentence, but simply adding ‘that’ helps clear the meaning up.

I.E.

Testifying before congress today, Mattel CEO Robert Eckert demonstrated the size of the aperture that it’s easier for a camel to pass through than for a lead toy manufacturer to get into heaven.

11. asplodzor says:

Or how about this way:

Mattel CEO Robert Eckert demonstrated to Congress today the size of the aperture that it is easier for a camel to pass through than it is for a lead toy manufacturer to get into heaven.

12. Trai_Dep says:

Poor Ben Popken. Nibbled to death on 9/12/07 by a school of grammarian pirahnas.

RIP, Ben. (sob)

13. STrRedWolf says:

I could put in a dig about religion misinterpreting the bible(s) for the ump-teenth million time…

14. Chicago7 says:

@trai_dep:

It’s “piranhas”, you fool!

/Just kidding
    /Not a spelling nazi

15. agit8or says:

I can confirm that picture is of Sen Bill Nelson (R-FL), as megnificent12 said.

For a corporate happy-pic of Mattel CEO Bob Eckert, please visit [www.mattel.com]

As for camel’s and needle’s eyes, good one Ben!