McDonald's Worker Arrested For "Over Salting" Police Officer's Burger

No, “over salting” isn’t code for anything nasty. The 20-year-old McDonald’s worker literally spilled salt on the hamburger meat that was used to make a “Big ‘N Tasty” that was served to a Georgia police officer.

The police officer says the burger made him sick—and Kendra Bull, 20, spent a night in jail because of it. According to Kendra, she accidentally spilled too much salt on the hamburger meat, tried to remove it, notified her coworkers, then took a break. During the break she says she ate a burger made from the salty meat.

Officer Wendall Adams got a burger from the over salted batch, took a few bites and came back to confront Kendra. From WISTV:

Bull admitted to spilling the salt on the burger, and the officer asked her to step outside, where he questioned Bull further, she said.

Bull, who has worked at the restaurant for five months, said she did not know a police officer had ordered the burger because she could NOT see the drive-through window from her work area.

Bull said Adams insisted the burger must have had something worse than salt on it. Adams actually did NOT eat the entire burger, and samples were sent to the state crime lab to find out what was in or on the burger that made Adams sick.

A night in jail for a salty burger? Crime lab analysis? Wendall, it was salt. You order your McDonald’s, you take your chances. Asking nicely for a new burger would have probably done the trick.

McDonald’s employee charged after serving oversalted burger [WISTV] (Thanks, D-Bo!)
(Photo:mrbill)

Comments

1. mopar_man says:

That cop is a dick. Not often I promote lawsuits but this seems like a good case for one.

• Coyote says:

@mopar_man: First rule when dealing with an officer, never go outside unless you are already charged with a crime. What she should have done is gotten her manager and all the witnesses and stayed inside the building. On the street he can do whatever he wants. In the restaurant he has to make sure not to brake any of their rules (and would likely be on camera the whole time).

Learn to position yourself where you have leverage, because if you don’t, they certainly will.

2. amx1978 says:

Sweet. Crime lab analysis. It’s great to know that the lab has enough free time and excess tax dollars to figure out what of the overly salty burger gave a cop a tummy ache.

3. joeblevins says:

It was an adulterated. Once it was messed up, it shouldn’t have been served to the public. She made a criminal mistake. She should have been arrested. If a manager actually know about the meat being served, she should have been arrested as well. This is NOT a case of Dept. Fife going crazy.

• Ezra Ekman says:

@joeblevins: No, she should NOT have been arrested, because she did NOT make a criminal mistake. She made a mistake. Then she notified her co-workers. It then became their responsibility to do something about it – if it was warranted – not hers. She upheld her responsibility the moment she informed others. If they choose to then serve that food while she is on break, she cannot be held responsible for it.

Think of it this way: You’re mopping the floor in a closed hallway, and accidentally spill some undiluted soap. It’s break time. You tell your fellow moppers that the soap needs to be dealt with before the hallway is opened to the public again. They say okay. You leave. They forget about it, open the walkway, and someone slips. Who’s at fault? You weren’t, since you didn’t open the hallway up again.

Georgia’s reckless conduct statute states:

Causes bodily harm to or endangers the bodily safety of another person by consciously disregarding a substantial and unjustifiable risk that his act or omission will cause harm or endanger the safety of the other person and the disregard constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care which a reasonable person would exercise in the situation. O.C.G.A. 16-5-60(b).361

A “reasonable” person would make sure the people responsible for serving food would know which food has a problem. She did that. She’s not in a management position, so she can’t be held responsible for someone else’s actions to serve meat that she informed them was not fit for human consumption.

Georgia caselaw further states:
      Act of criminal negligence, not an intentional act. Lindsey v. State, 262 Ga. 665 (1993). Criminal negligence necessarily implies, not only knowledge of probable consequences which may result from the use of a given instrumentality, but also wilful or wanton disregard of the probable effects of such instrumentality upon others likely to be affected thereby. Criminal negligence is something more than ordinary negligence. Criminal negligence is the reckless disregard of consequences, or a heedless indifference to the rights and safety of others, and a reasonable foresight that injury would probably result. Bohannon v. State, 230 Ga. App. 829 (1998).

She didn’t disregard the consequences of her actions; she did everything she could short of disposing of the meat herself, which probably would have gotten her fired. (It’s not her call; it’s her manager’s decision to make.) I sure hope this poor girl’s attorney is more competent than you.

• Brent Woodle says:

@joeblevins: I didn’t realize it was illegal to sell a product with more salt than the patron desired. Care to point me to this obscure law?

It was an adulterated. No it wasn’t. It was a food product added to a food product. Both of which McDonalds serves.

• Anonymous says:

@joeblevins:

You do realize that McDonalds already puts salt in their burger meat — right. And most likely too much already because it makes you want to supersize your drink. And I wonder if he ate the fries also… they are often oversalted too.

Wow, using salt is now a criminal offence. Wait till I sue McDonalds because I get salted products. I have high blood pressure and don’t use salt — if I eat at McDonalds, I could have one heck of a lawsuit going….

Now I have evidence that adding salt is criminal..

Hey People — get over it !!!!!!!

• RenfredMajumdar says:

@joeblevins: That’s a bit over-zealous there big guy, take a chill pill. She spilled salt, tried to get it off, told people about it, and took a break. She’d worked there for 5 months, and I don’t know if you know anyone who works at a McDonalds, but they’re not all experts in the field of food service. I highly doubt anyone had told her that she could get arrested for too much salt, and honestly, a little extra salt is not one of those common sense things where you really think “Someone could get sick from eating this…” So no, she should absolutely not have been arrested. This cop was probably the scrawny kid who got picked on in high school, and is now out to get everyone he can so that he feels good about himself. He’s the one who needs to be punished. There are people out there getting killed and raped every day, and this guy thinks a salty burger is worth wasting tax payer money arresting a 20 year old McDonalds employee…. Give me a break.

• XJSGUY says:

@joeblevins:

Yes, yes Joe.
      We KNOW she’s black.
      You didn’t have to show us your attitude to point that out.
      Crawl back under your racist rock.

• Evilbeagle says:

@joeblevins: When I first read your comment, I thought you were being sarcastic. I still hope that you were. There is nothing justifiable in arresting somebody for over salting a burger. Wouldn’t you think that even if this employee had not notified her co-workers of her mistake or admitted it to the cop, that oversalting a burger is a pretty inefficient way to mess with someone? After all, most people would just ask for a refund or a new burger and get on with their lives. It makes more work for the employee. This police officer was abusing his position because he was paranoid, bad tempered, and very likely accustomed to abusing his authority. What frightens me most is that the police department lets people like this idiot walk around armed.

4. myuu says:

“ONOES, EVERYONE’S OUT TO GET YOU!”

Seriously, get over yourself.

5. pinkbunnyslippers says:

Oh for the love of baby Jesus, this is ridiculous. This cop obviously has an inferiority complex, otherwise he wouldn’t be getting all inflammatory at a friggin’ McDonalds worker. Someone’s on a power trip!

6. dbeahn says:

“Wendall, it was salt.”

Can you prove that? I’m assuming that the cop must have had a good reason to suspect otherwise, since if it comes back that it WAS just a little salt, his superiors are going to be pissed about the expense of the lab tests.

“According to Kendra, she accidentally spilled too much salt on the hamburger meat, tried to remove it, notified her coworkers, then took a break. During the break she says she ate a burger made from the salty meat.”

Huh? I worked the grill at McDonald’s in high school. You “season” ONE patty at a time with the “season” shaker. There’s NO WAY to “oversalt” an entire batch. MAYBE you could over do it on two or 3 patties, but that would be the max. Then you scoop those 2 or 3 off and throw them away, period.

I’m MUCH more likely to believe that the drive through person clicked “intercom” on the headset and said “Yo, Kendra, that Big N Tasty needs the cop special!” and Kendra laughed and gave it the special treatment. Sure as HELL she didn’t make herself a burger from that batch, unless it was one of the patties she didn’t “over salt”.

7. Major-General says:

Hmm, the cop gets sick from too much salt. He tastes that it is salty, but apparently doesn’t ask for a new burger, then gets sick.

I wonder what medical condition he’s trying to cover up. Or is it what I’ve long suspected about people, in general, in law enforcement: weak individuals who need the badge to affirm their self-worth, i.e. bullies.

Let the flaming begin.

8. Major-General says:

@dbeahn: Actually, according to one news story, she did.

9. Jeff says:

McDonalds makes their burgers from scratch? I always thought they would come from some sort of factory pre-shaped and frozen, and they just cook them up on-site. I’m reasonably sure most of their other food is prepared this way (i.e. open a big bag of fries, dump into vat of oil – they don’t actually cut potatoes and stuff there)

• Scott Salisbury says:

@Jeff:

The Burgers come in a box all precision portion and cut, you then when told to do so put enough meat patties on the grill and in my day on the flat grill you would hit a button that was a timer, you would then sear them with this flat metal tool much like the thing you use to block the puck in air hockey, once that is done the timer goes off and you flip them, and you season them, there is a salt and pepper mix in a large shaker container that once you are good at it you can season one row with a single toss of the wrist, can someone over-season? sure maybe the cover came off, maybe the holes on one side are broken make one large hole, who knows, should they have tossed the patties sure, the could have done that. Did they no. now if I bite into a burger and it tastes really salty I am going back into to complain and get it made correctly, This cop is now wasting the cities money and time, and our tax dollars over a power trip that he is a cop and of course has to be the target, he needs something better to do with his time like I don’t know patrol the streets, how many times do I have to see police cars parked side by side for hours in a parking lot just talking, or the cops I see sleeping while working street construction details

I believe police have a tough job but they know this going in so why must they be a complete jerk to everyone, do they not realize they aren’t the judge and jury.

10. DjDynasty says:

Sue McDonalds, make them go bankrupt!!! Then everyone will have to eat healthy just like Ben!

11. Red_Eye says:

Sorry I used to live in Union City GA and ummm the kind of people thee are the kind you don’t turn your back on, unless you want to find a foot up your butt or a knife in your back. FFS my wife was threatened to be shot on the front porch of our townhouse there.

I would not be surprised to see someone tamper with a cops food there. With the sheer number of stories over the last few months of drive through workers tampering with cop food I say throw the book at her. IF you can prove intent, but only then.

12. Beerad says:

I’m willing to accept that fast food employees are not above, in the words of Eminem, “spittin’ on your onion rings.” But to actually get sick from eating a burger? Most readily accessible grossness (i.e., body fluid) is not likely to get you sick. Sure, it’s possible that the “cop special” is actually a liberal marinade of motor oil or formaldehyde, but I suspect that anything you would get sick from would be in the category of “wow, this burger looks/smells/tastes incredibly funky — I am NOT eating this.” Unless the guy’s allergic to salt I’m skeptical about his claims of being laid low by the tainted meat. Guess we’ll have to wait for the crime lab analysis.

13. nctrnlboy says:

See? This is what gets me about cops. They have the ability to send a hamburger to a state crime lab to test for other “seasonings”?

I DO feel sorry for cops when they have to eat out somewhere….. you’d think they WOULD be paranoid about getting unrequested “special sauce” on their food. But going overboard like what this cop did is uncalled for.

This also backs up my claim that any cop can “find” something to charge you with if he wants to. There are so many laws on the books that it is almost impossible to walk out the door & go about your everyday business without technically breaking a law. Sad really.

And why is it when a cop brings questionable charges against someone … they are ALWAYS backed up by fellow officers & county prosecutors? While rarely citizens rarely have that kind of support.

14. cabedrgn says:

Long time ago (in a town far, far away) I worked for McDonald’s, we use to season our patties when they were on the grill (in a grid of 4×4) before we brought down the top grill part. I could see how a large batch could be over seasoned. I have a feeling there is a lot on both sides not being told though.

We never did one at a time though, how terribly inefficient.

15. ConsumersFirst says:

I just called the Chief of Police in Union City Georgia Chief ODOM at 770-306-6849 Ext: 326, I urge others to call and express there comments on the abuse of Power that this individual and her department excercised in this incident. A through investigation should be made by the Georgia Department of Law Enforcement if the chief does not act quickly to resolve this.

Call Chief ODOM at 770-306-6849 Ext: 326

16. topgun says:

Yeah with all the child molesters and serial killers out there I’m glad the justice system can afford to go hard on a minimum wage McDonalds employee. I agree she should have just tossed the burgers. I’m pretty sure that’s the rule and she was wrong not to do so.I mean I’ve had them throw out paper cups that tipped over empty and the rim touched the counter.
    Is the cop sure it wasn’t just the McDonald’s food that made him sick? Happens to me all the time.

17. Yourhero88 says:

Yeah, this is a classic case of an inferiority complex, mingled with intense paranoia for the cosmic recompense that will inevitably be doled out on this officer for being such a power-wielding douchecannon.

I know that there are places out there that will give cops the raw deal, mostly because of the bad name that they tend to make for themselves, especially when it comes to young people in minimum wage positions.

Lets hope this officer gets humiliated like he deserves.

18. SOhp101 says:

It’s a crap shoot, deciding how much to really tell a cop.

19. dbeahn says:

@Major-General: No, according to *her statement* she did.

So why is it when the cop says there was something other than salt on the burger HE must obviously be lying, in spite of getting approval to have it sent off for testing.

But you’ll believe a 20 year old McDonald’s employee because….I’m sorry, why? If she DID do something to his burger, you really expect that she’d say “Oh yeah – I sprayed windex on it and spit on it! Funny stuff, cause he’s a COP! I had me a burger outta that batch too, but mine didn’t have spit and windex on it…”???

• Anonymous says:

@joeblevins: @dbeahn:
      Well, considering she was on break and didn’t serve him the burger and her co-workers who actually served it to him were notified, then she was arrested for what exactly? She didn’t serve him according to the article. Second, it was salt. If you read the article : “Crime lab analysis? Wendall, it was salt.”

I will take a 20 year olds word over a cop any day. Most of them are the school yard bullies we faced in high school wih their sad little inferiority complexes. Cops lie, bully, steal, use drugs same as non-cop citizens. Big difference – they are above the law, they know it and they are all to willing to abuse the law to make sure you know it.

• Jacob Thornton says:

@dbeahn:
      Clearly the cop was on a power trip. If he thought McDonald’s was trying to poison him, then he could take that through a proper channel.

He could have investigated the crime then come back with a warrant and some evidence to arrest the manager in charge and any / all employees involved in the poisoning.

This was clearly about the cop making himself feel better by punishing a 20 year old McDonald’s worker with a night in jail.

20. kidwei says:

to echo a bit..

the fatass cop was wolfing down his nasty-ass burger too fast to even notice something was wrong with it before he had had enough to get him sick? most people would’ve taken one bite, and taken the burger back for a new one.. just another case of a scumbag cop wanting to show everyone how big his 3 inch dick is..

damn i hate cops so damned much

21. Asvetic says:

Talk about an abuse of power situation.

I think Morgan Spurlock proved that eating fast food, regardless of its preparation, can make you extremely sick. You order FF, you take your chances.

That poor girl, who the hell goes to jail for spilling salt anyway?

22. dbeahn says:

@cabedrgn: “We never did one at a time though, how terribly inefficient.”

Technically, it was “one shake per patty”. In practice it was a bit more fast and loose. Still, you have to drop the top off the thing to “over season” enough that you need to “try to remove the excess salt”. And you don’t “try to remove” it, you just scoop up the ruined few and pitch them.

23. cde says:

She was arrested for aSalting the officer :P

But in all seriousness, I see a lawsuit in this cop’s future.

24. dbeahn says:

@kidwei: You know, with all the hatred being expressed for cops in this thread, it’s amazing that people actually WANT to believe the 20 year old. How hysterical that there are so many people expressing such hate that I don’t doubt for a minute they’d put something in a cop’s food if they had the chance.

25. philipbarrett says:

that’ll teach ‘em to stray from Dunkin Donuts

26. mikecolione says:

How is serving an over salted burger a crime? Sure bad customer service, but not a crime.

He had a power trip and the police department should be sued because of it…

This is why some cops have a bad name, because some are just assholes.

As far as stepping outside, I would have referred to the manager and kept on working. Would you step outside with a customer if it wasn’t a cop?

Get a lawyer and let him have it!

27. Trai_Dep says:

You know, if the cop would have fired up a massive spliff before chowing his burger, there’d be no problem…

28. mbrutsch says:

@dbeahn: And what was your last personal encounter with a police officer in an official capacity that made you say “Gosh, I’m glad I encountered a peace officer today?” Most people (outside older, not-poor white folks) don’t have encounters of that type on a regular basis. Unlike firemen, when you see a cop running toward you, your first thought is often something other than “Oh, hooray, I am saved!” Just sayin.

29. kidwei says:

@dbeahn: Having a general disgust for the tendency of cops to abuse their power for no good reason other than insecurity and an inferiority complex does not make the ‘haters’ on this thread willing to poison cops. In an ideal world, police officers are supposed to be public servants and peacekeepers. But my experience with cops has more often than not been closer to the one in this story. Everyone has their reasons.. I have mine. But that doesnt’ mean i’m going to go and poison somebody. But that doesn’t mean I have to like them, either.

30. philipbarrett says:

@dbeahn:
    You know I used to think like you, did but thanks to the likes of Youtube [video.google.com] I’m beginning to believe that the nation’s police departments have systemic problems. Bullies embolded by the dubious powers granted them by the Patriot Act seem to increasingly be running the show.

31. Esquire99 says:

@SOhp101: My thoughts exactly. Had this girl been smart enough, she would not have said a word to the officer. She’s under no obligation to help him, especially when it’s clear he’s looking at it being her fault. Too many people are willing to spill their guts to a guy just because he has a badge. This is why I think high schools need to offer a class in basic constitutional law and what your rights are. It’s like the people that are willing to let a cop search their car because “they have nothing to hide”, or they don’t know the law and think if they say no he’s going to search it anyway. Our education system should be addressing these issues.

32. kidwei says:

@mbrutsch:
    @philipbarrett:
    Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking. I am a in a minority ethnic group in the states, and I have in more than one occasion been hassled and harassed by a cop for no good reason other than an abuse of power and blatant discrimination. Those who haven’t been in such shoes shouldn’t speak so condemningly.

33. Buran says:

If this is an arrestable offense, then why don’t the people who serve my bf cheese on his “plain, nothing on it please” burgers get hauled off to the slammer?

While this cop went overboard, and shouldn’t have arrested her, maybe it will serve as a lesson that it’s NOT acceptable to serve unasked-for “trimmings” on peoples’ food.

34. EvilSquirrel says:

What I want to know is how much salt would you have to put on a hamburger for someone to notice. I mean those things are pretty high in sodium anyway I and would assume that you would have to dump the entire shaker of salt on the thing for similar results.

Just shut up and dip your fries in the burger juices. I hear that is what their secret ingredient for fries used to be.

35. Esquire99 says:

@Buran: So you’re all for criminalizing screwing up a persons order? This reminds me of the recording of the woman calling the police while in the drive-thru because the woman would not make her Rodeo Burger. [www.snopes.com]

36. kidwei says:

@bradg33: I think you need to read Buran’s post more carefully. Then maybe look up sarcasm in the dictionary.

37. azntg says:

Generally, I tend to have favorable views of the cops (yes, I had my fair share of getting close to the edge with them too), but I think it’s fair game for Kendra to sue under false imprisonment.

38. Echodork says:

I wish I could harass everyone who screwed up my fast food order.

39. How does the officer know that Kendra was the one who did something, other than oversalting, to the burger? She wasn’t the one who served it. Someone else could have added something to the burger that made the cop sick.

Even if the burger had something else wrong with it I don’t see how he can assume it was her fault.

40. LionelEHutz says:

That cop could be staring at a civil rights lawsuit in the near future, especially after this woman’s attorney does a FOIL request for his disciplinary record.

41. nctrnlboy says:

I wonder what the police or county prosecutor would do if I came to them wanting to press charges because I THOUGHT that some burger-jerk oversalted (or put something nasty) on my burger. I’d be willing to bet that they’d laff at me or be pissed that I even brought it to their attention & wasted their time. It would go NOWHERE! WHile a cop is supported in the most weak of charges he wants to file against someone else (like the georgia cop who filed stalking charges against a couple who set up a speed-detecting device on their property to document speeders zooming thru their neighborhood & happen to catch a cop speeding & reported it to his superiors).

42. enroper says:

I’m more concerned with the fact that the cop was eating at McDonalds to begin with. Doesn’t bode well for a profession where the employees are supposed to be in shape.

Perhaps the McDonalds worker should of just ran away on foot, the cop probably wouldnt of been able to catch him.

43. OKH says:

You guuuuuuuuuuuuuys! Stop blaming the viiiiiiiiiiiiictim.

Funny how that works.

44. Esquire99 says:

@kidwei: I was referring to “maybe it will serve as a lesson that it’s NOT acceptable to serve unasked-for “trimmings” on peoples’ food.” Pretty well indicates that it might be a good idea to do this, it’ll teach them a lesson.

45. bbbici says:

This idiot cop’s probable history of asshole behaviour is likely what led to him getting the “cop special” in the first place. The kids working at mcdicks were probably harrassed by him at some point for smoking a doobie or loitering.

Cops are basically bipolar primadonnas.

46. Buran says:

@bradg33: Uh. No, that’s not what I said. Where did I say it was a good idea? I specifically said that the guy went overboard.

My point is, it’s not a good idea to serve things people specifically said they didn’t want.

“Hey, if someone got arrested for this, even if it was an instance of an overboard reaction to a mistake, maybe I should be more careful”.

Sigh. If you disagree with someone, that doesn’t mean that they support stupidity.

47. kimsama says:

Wouldn’t a solution to all the recent stories on adulterated fast food be to train video cameras on the food prep staff (just like the cameras likely already focused on the cashiers)? If there’s a dispute, look at the tape.

I suspect, though, that many people would curtail their fast food consumption if they saw the videos (which would definitely make it on YouTube)…

48. HeartBurnKid says:

@dbeahn: That’s because most of us have had dealings with cops. I swear, you should have seen the way this one a couple of months ago treated my mother… if he didn’t have a gun, I would have punched him in the face on general principle.

49. bluwapadoo says:

Farva: Give me a double bacon cheeseburger.
    Dimpus Burger Guy: [into mic] Double baco cheeseburger. It’s for a cop.
    Farva: What the hell’s that all about? You gonna spit in it now?
    Dimpus Burger Guy: No, I just told him that so he makes it good.
    [into mic]
    Dimpus Burger Guy: Don’t spit in that cop’s burger.
    Farva: Yeah, thanks.
    Second Dimpus Guy: Roger, holding the spit.
    Farva: Gimme a pie… apple.
    Dimpus Burger Guy: Want me to hold the spit? Hah, just kidding officer Farva.

50. Phuturephunk says:

I can’t believe some of you momos are supporting the government on this. I have to wonder why.

51. ShadowFalls says:

Well, this is a difficult case. But the charge is reasonable. That entire batch should been thrown out before taking a break, geez. Quite seriously people, too much salt can kill a person, some are able to tolerate far less than others.

Too much salt can leave a person dizzy, not exactly a good thing for someone operating a motor vehicle. More especially a police officer whose job might require him to go at fast speeds. But if you intake too much salt at one time, you could quite literally just die.

Also, that McDonalds apparently needs a visit from the Health Department.

52. OKH says:

Yeah, people NEVER fuck with cop’s food. And hey, if they did, they deserve it right?

53. astro says:

A while ago while I was working EMS in upstate NY, I knew a deputy sheriff who was served (along with a couple of his colleagues) a burger where a Burger King employee urinated on the burger. He became pretty ill, and had spent 1-2 months away to work because of it.

I understand this officers concern – because I know of people personally who have suffered from “fast food incidents” so while it sucks, I’m sure that it’s worth looking in to. Who knows, maybe it was done to others… It can happen in any restruant – not just fast food, but I agree that fast food would be more prone to these sort of incidents.

54. MisterE says:

I can only imagine if such an incident were to happen to a Consumerist reader, Mcdonald’s would simply ignore the issue. I’m glad the cop arrested the Mcworker. There should be some metric standards for service and quality, but sadly, there isn’t.

55. VeryPlainJane says:

You should see what they do when you get their order wrong!

56. mandarin says:

Does anyone get reminded of that hamburger scene from Super Troopers ?

57. Youthier says:

@mandarin: Maybe if Kendra had just given the nice officer a liter of cola to wash down his salty burger, this never would have happened.

58. OKH says:

@MisterE: If this happened to a Consumerist reader, people would be calling for the worker’s arrest.

59. @VeryPlainJane: He didn’t…

60. goodguy812 says:

this is rediculous. i worked at mcdonalds and i can tell you they (cops) eat for FREE!!! and i thought something like intentional over salting may be grounds for firing, but taking the employee to jail? rediculous. the other day i ate there and my fries were way too salty. i just exchanged it for a salt free batch and put my own salt on….if i only knew i could have had them arrested and possibly sued! or do you have to be a cop.

DO YOU THINK THAT COP WOULD HAVE FOUGHT SO HARD FOR YOU? DO YOU THINK NEXT TIME YOU THINK THERE’S SPIT ON YOUR FOOD THEY’LL SEND YOUR BURGER TO THE “CRIME LAB” FOR TESTING. I DOUBT IT. SOUNDS UNFAIR TO ME. I COULDN’T EVEN GET FINGERPRINTING DONE WHEN I WAS ROBBED? AND THIS BURGER GOES TO THE CRIME LAB?!!

61. dbeahn says:

@mbrutsch: My last encounter was last night, when 3 cops were pulling a very drugged, potentially violent and possibly armed woman out of the line at a store. She was behind me in line. It was 1am and she was behaving in an extremely erratic and threatening manner to pretty much everyone around her.

Before that, it was in April when I got a speeding ticket. I got the ticket because I was speeding. Bastard cop! I got caught breaking the law and he gave me a ticket! What an abuse of power!

I agree there are bad cops out there. I agree that there are departments with systemic problems. I don’t agree that just because this cop thought he had enough reason to suspect something was up that he was “abusing his power”. It also sounds like he wasn’t upset about the salt. From the report, it says he “didn’t finish his burger because it made him sick”. Sounds to me like he tried a bite, probably noticed it was salty, decided not to make a big deal out of it, had another few bites, and started to feel ill. That’s when he went back to investigate – not when he noticed it was too salty, but after that when he started to feel sick.

Oh, shit. I’m sorry. Here I am suggesting possibilities based on the facts, not on hating cops. My bad.

@OKH: “If this happened to a Consumerist reader, people would be calling for the worker’s arrest.”

The worker’s arrest, and they’d be screaming that at least half of that burger should be sent to an independent lab for testing if they couldn’t get it sent to the crime lab. But because it was a cop, then it must be the cop’s fault. Because we all know that ALL cops are just bullies. *rolls eyes*

62. dbeahn says:

@VeryPlainJane: “If the burger was so salty it made him sick, then why did he eat the whole burger?”

Learn to read. It’s a useful life skill. How is it they sent samples to the lab if he ate the whole thing, genius?

“Adams actually did NOT eat the entire burger, and samples were sent to the state crime lab to find out what was in or on the burger that made Adams sick.”

Oh, and not only does it note they sent samples to the lab, you don’t have to figure out he didn’t eat it all from that yourself, they TELL you first that he did NOT eat the entire burger.

63. Youthier says:

@Buran: You’re comment has me curious… let’s say that they served your BF cheese and he’s been diagnosed lactose intolerant. I wonder what the police would do if you called and asked them to arrest the employee for reckless conduct.

64. Youthier says:

@HeyHermano: Ugh, terrible grammar on my part. Your, not you’re.

65. Craig says:

Does this mean we can have the CEO of McDonalds put in jail for slowly killing us all?

66. backbroken says:

“Union City public information officer George Louth said Bull was charged with reckless conduct because she served the burger “without regards to the well-being of anyone who might consume it.”

Doesn’t that apply to EVERYONE to has ever served a burger at McDonalds? I can’t imagine serving a McDonalds burger in the interests of the consumer’s well-being. Case dismissed!

67. dbeahn says:

@VeryPlainJane: You know what? Please disregard the tone of my last comment to you. It was rude and condescending and didn’t need to be either of those. I’m sorry.

68. girly says:

I actually did have and over-salted Big N tasty once. Could be a pattern! Perhaps they need to take in the corporate chefs for questioning.

I didn’t realize at the time that I should have reserved a portion of my burger for analysis.

69. mrearly2 says:

Officer Adams and Kendra B were both at fault. He, for crying like a baby, about garbage fast-food that was worse than usual, and she, for making it worse than usual and not correcting her error–before anyone could sample it.

70. cryrevolution says:

I was under the impression that the police need to have “evidence” that there were other “seasonings” besides salt in the burger before they make an arrest. I mean, c’mon, I’m not a police officer or anything, but don’t they need proof to take anyone into custody? Serving a salty burger is not a crime. And how would Kendra know anyone elses “well being”? She ate a burger with the salted meat, the entire burger, and didn’t get sick. She didn’t know the cops tolerance to sodium or anyone elses. It was a simple mistake, not punishable in any way by jail time (unless proven that there were “other” ingredients) and the most McDonalds or Kendra owe the cop is maybe another burger. Or a gift card. End of story.

71. aikoto says:

Do you remember the judge who sued the cleaner for $53 million over a pair of pants? Abuse of power or stupidity… Let’s see what happens.

72. cryrevolution says:

It just makes no sense that they would take her in until the crime lab results came in. What, is she going to skip town for making a salty burger? Because she’s obviously a threat to society and MUST be taken off the streets until proven otherwise.

Sheesh. Give me a break.

73. Uriel says:

He should’ve ordered a large Farva.

74. lincolnparadox says:

@Beerad: There are some common solvents in cleaner that could make someone really sick. A few sprays of Lysol would have created the symptoms described in the article.

All I have to say is, if this case isn’t thrown out of court and this woman does jail time for screwing up a police officer’s lunch, I suggest every consumerist sign up for auxillary PD. Put everyone who messes with a junior-cop in jail. Starting with AT&T.

75. oldhat says:

FTP and anyone who’s down with them.

76. Buran says:

@HeyHermano: Fortunately, he is not, just doesn’t like cheese on his burgers. But that is a point I have long tried to make in discussions like this — that it isn’t even remotely acceptable to ignore customer requests due to the fact that allergies can severely harm or kill people. “They only get minimum wage” is not an excuse, even though I see it pulled out all the time, because food service is one of those occupations where you can kill someone if you make a mistake. And this doesn’t just happen to him occasionally…

What would the cops do? Probably arrest ME for tying up 911 or something, never mind the fact that someone did something that could have got him killed if he WAS severely lactose intolerant.

77. putch says:

@ HEYHERMANO: I dont think that mcd’s serves litrecola.

78. OKH says:

I think what is being missed here is that there is a possibility that there was something else besides seasonings put into the cop’s burger that sickened him. People do far worse to cop’s food so it’s not outside the realm of the impossible.

79. cryrevolution says:

@OKH: Of course there is a possibility, nobody disputes that. It is quite unnecessary though to jail the worker before you have viable proof that there are other ingredients.

80. Saboth says:

Salt on a burger? It already had like 1000 mg of sodium in it. I worked at Hardees and you don’t salt the burgers….does McDonalds have a “salt the burger” policy? Fries and burgers are nowhere near each other usually, so how did salt get all the way over on the burger? Sounds McFishy.

81. reed311 says:

Reminds me of that girl who worked at Wendy’s and a cop arrested and maced her because he thought she didn’t give him correct change. Turns out, she did give him correct change. She sued and was awarded a large settlement, but the cop was not fired.

82. Beerad says:

@lincolnparadox: I confess, I’ve never used Lysol as a seasoning, but I suspect I would recognize the taste of something very, very wrong with my food right away (pre-swallowing). I think the bottom line is there’s just not enough information in the article to know what’s going on. Did the employee spritz toxic chemicals into the burger and try and cover it up with lots of salt? I’d like to hope that people wouldn’t be such colossal jerks, but the world proves otherwise.

Not that it makes it much better if the person “just” spit/blew their nose in/insert completely gross conduct here with the food. At least it makes them less potentially murderous, I guess.

As for the unjust arrest/evidence argument, if the officer had enough reason to believe that a crime was committed (“hey, I didn’t order the McRib with acidic burning fire sauce!”) that’s good enough. I agree, if he’s wrong and the burger was just over-salted than he should be punished for arresting the girl, but who knows, maybe he WAS served a dose of rat poison or god-knows-what. As this thread shows, there’s plenty of people ready to unconditionally hate the police.

83. OKH says:

@cryrevolution: The probable cause is that the officer became sickened after eating the burger. The valid proof (lab tests,etc) comes at trial. Or not. Looking at history though, I’m guessing something was put in the burger.

84. AlexG32 says:

She was probably just trying to turn the pig into some McBacon.

85. @OKH: I doubt it. At least half the commentors would say it’s the customer’s fault for eating fast food in the first place.

86. Mary says:

The supervisor should be held responsible for allowing subpar food to go out, because honestly I’ve heard enough stories about workers trying to hold the line to make something right and getting in trouble.

And I’m okay with somebody saying “Don’t screw with somebody’s food” because there’s a rash of that going around.

But this girl did NOT in any way shape or form deserve to be arrested.

87. dbeahn says:

@meiran: “Did anybody bring up that she says that a coworker AND a supervisor tasted the meat and told her to serve it anyway? And that she ate a burger made from it later and felt no ill effects?”

SHE says. It doesn’t say if the supervisor and coworker also stated that was correct. It doesn’t say she felt no ill effects – just that she says she ate a burger made with the salty meat. People seem to be not seeing this part, either: “After a court hearing later that morning, she was released on one thousand dollars bond.”. A judge has seen the charges and believes there’s enough to go on that it wasn’t tossed out of court immediately.

88. ramal says:

Wow! And during the same five minutes that the cop was arresting the worker (Not that she probably didn’t have it coming.) there was a hold-up down the street, a house break-in a mile away and a wife beating one street over. Is it no wonder that the police are held in such low esteem?

89. D-Bo says:

I think that this a ridiculous reason to put a 20yr old girl under immediate arrest. This is a case of the officer overreacting and using poor judgment, plain and simple. We can speculate until the cows come home but the facts are clear. She was arrested because she admitted to over-salting a hamburger.

No one here can argue they would have had the same result had they received the allegedly tainted burger.

90. dbeahn says:

Here’s some actual information about the incident: [www.thesmokinggun.com]

Note a few points – the burger appeared to have salt and pepper ALL over it – on the lettuce, tomatoes, etc etc. McDonald’s hamburgers are supposed to be “seasoned” on the patty while on the grill – it wouldn’t be on everything if it was “an accident”.

Also, it states he took about 3 bites of the burger – not exactly a substantial amount.

Absent from the official report is any mention of how she managed to “accidentally” over do it on multiple burgers once they’d been made.

Absent is any mention that she ate one of the burgers.

Absent is any mention that she alerted anyone – she does, however, say that since management was concerned about waste, SHE went ahead and served the burger. She states it as if it was her decision.

Obviously the pictures were enough for the judge to let the charges stand until she could have a court date.

You’re all right that a “regular person” would likely not have gotten this result – but you can bet they’d WANT this result if they could get it.

91. Elviswasntmyhero says:

Sweet! Talk about CSI Union City.

Does Wendell know that Osama Bin Laden’s still on the loose?

I’m just sayin.

92. GhostofJimi says:

Unfortunately these things happen with minumum wage workers and waste is not looked upon kindly by management as each individual Macdonalds are privately owned and as such the owners set the rules as to what is and isnt thrown away. Whether or not she over salted the burger isnt the issue but rather law enforcement have “special rights” that the average citizen does not, and that is the right to arrest someone over something as ridiculous as a salty burger. What a disgraceful excuse for a law officer.

93. The Meathead says:

@joeblevins: I’m glad that, as far as I know, you hold no power over any portion of the public-at-large.

94. jerseyjokeboy says:

whether this was intentional or not is one thing, but too much salt is dangerous to your health.

don’t believe me? try drinking some salt water next time and see what happens.

this is just like that case with the woman spilling her hot coffee long time ago. people made fun of her, even though the coffee was served at some astronomically high temperature.

95. Trowble (XBL/PSN) says:

This is like the legal version of what happened in Super Troopers (great movie), only this time it didn’t include any spit.

96. CyGuy says:

From the MSDS for Sodium Chloride ( [www.jtbaker.com] ):

Ingestion:
    Very large doses can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and prostration. Dehydration and congestion occur in most internal organs. Hypertonic salt solutions can produce violent inflammatory reactions in the gastrointestinal tract.

11. Toxicological Information
    Oral rat LD50: 3000 mg/kg.

Based on the Toxicological info, if the cop weighed 100 kg, the expected lethal dose (if similar to rats) would be 300,000 mg (300 grams or over 10 ounces) – more than double the weight of the meat in the burger. I don’t know how much it would take to cause illness, but I think it would have to be enough to actually encrust the burger in layer of salt – and make it entirely inedible.

@cde: You beat me to it!

97. edgarj455 says:

@joeblevins: how many suns are there on the planet you live on? My god the people they let carry guns these days.This clown mite shot someone for Jaywalking

98. edgarj455 says:

@ConsumersFirst: very cool

99. edgarj455 says:

give the jerk a free burger and take his badge and gun.

100. drjayphd says:

@OKH: But what if the cop reads Consumerist? DOES NOT COMPUTE

101. Chris Myers says:

Are you people even reading what you are writing here? There is no situation where the cop was right. It doesn’t matter who ordered the food, you can always just order another. We all know McD would of given it to him for free. Wasting taxpayer’s money to see what was on his burger is paranoid and silly. I hope the employee finds a lawyer and sues. All you people who are cops, have cop friends/family members STOP posting. Everyone in the world knows that there ARE totally scumbag cops. This is dumb and all you people that are siding with the cop … I hope this happens to you at your work. I hope you spend a night in jail for a clerical error or a slightly off report. Maybe you should be in jail because your dry cleaning company couldn’t get a stain out ><. Have fun ruining what’s left of America ….

102. Anonymous says:

That just seems really wrong to me. I’ve worked at fast food places in the past (not McDonald’s) and it is really easy to knock over something like salt because they tend to store it in a really large container and expect you to keep it “handy”. So if she was in a rush she could have knocked it over. I know I’ve had accidents where I’ve knocked the sugar over into food (and then told my coworkers/supervisor). It really isn’t the employees call whether food can be discarded, and in fact at most fast food restaurants if she had discarded the food without consulting a superior they would fire her for ‘theft’ or charge her for the food.

103. XJSGUY says:

This salt hating bully pig MUST BE related to this one:

[www.denverpost.com]

104. Jacob Thornton says:

There are some inconsistencies with the girls story.

McDonald’s burgers are all pre-made, when they are cooked McD has a special salt shaker. Each burger gets exactly one shake as it is cooked. To over salt the burger she either gave the salt shaker more than 1 shake, the lid fell off the shaker, or she intentionally over salted the cops burger.

Also as a side note burgers are not “flipped” at McDonalds. They cook in a grill that acts like a clam shell. The patties are placed on the bottom, the top is closed and exactly 1 minute later the top opens to reveal a perfectly cooked burger! So efficient! Each burger then gets one shake of seasoning and is sent down the line for condiments.

105. unpolloloco says:

How could he tell that there was too much salt? I thought they coat everything in salt all the time.

//goes off to McDonalds

106. Lauren D. Cohn says:

If it was a stale Donut…she’d be dead!

107. Brent Woodle says:

lol at this article. It’s 2 years old but I think it somehow displayed on the main page in error yesterday (I’m not sure how else I would have gotten to it, but I did).

Now it has been posted and green lit on Fark.

108. Matthew Johnson says:

over-salting a burger a criminal offense? this is absurd.

for starters, there is far more troublesome content in even the most properly prepared mcdiesel food.

second, at least salt is something you’re supposed to eat. it’s not like she spit on it or sprayed it with cleaning solution or something.

that girl should never have been arrested, if anything the cop should be suspended for abusing his authority.