How I Lost 14.6 Pounds Sitting In Front Of A Computer

After a year-and-a-half of blogging out of the comfort of my apartment, I was out of shape and overweight. I’m 5’11″ and I weighed 220 lbs. Pants weren’t fitting. I learned that buttons popping off pants didn’t just happen in the cartoons. My family noticed my doublechins, my dad worried I had diabetes.

Something had to be done, and I was going to use what made me fat, computers and the internet, to help me do it.

I figured it would make a good Consumerist post because there’s no better way to cut down on future health care costs, and never have to do battle with the insurance company in the first place, than if you are fit and healthy. Not to mention, considering how bombarded we are with ads and marketing for weight loss programs, pills, videos, bizzare equipment, etc, it’s nice to know the path to loosing fat can be simple and inexpensive.

METHODS

Cameraphone & Flickr
I took pictures of what I ate, when I worked out, and my weight scale results and uploaded them to Flickr, a free photo sharing site.
flickrshot.jpg

Traineo.com
I entered my weight and workouts into Traineo, a free diet and fitness social networking site. Check out my profile here.
traineshot.jpg

Shangri-la Diet
I implemented the principles of the Shangri-la Diet, which mainly involves supplementing your diet with oil and sugar water. Reduced appetite is the result.
oilandsugar.jpg

Gym
I began working out every other day, tracking my results on a sheet of paper I brought with me.
workoutjuice.jpg

TOOLS
Gym membership
Flickr.com
Traineo.com
Stopwatch
Scale (the Tanita BF679W Duo Scale Plus Body Fat Monitor with Body Water)
Canola oil
Soccerball
Gym shorts
New tshirts

SCHEDULE
Drink 1 tablespoon of canola oil around 11am
Drink 4-6 glasses of water with 1 tablespoon of dissolved pure sugar
Throw in some playing with the soccerball on in-between days
Eat meals as normal
Workout every other day. My workout includes 20 min stationary cycle, walking to and from the gym, and the following weight machines (3 sets of 10 reps each):

• dual action chest press
  • seated leg curl
  • rotary calf
  • fly
  • abs
  • arm curl
  • leg extension
  • triceps
  • prone leg curl
  • leg press
  • glutes

RESULTS
In two months, I went from 218 lbs to 205.4 lbs, and from 25.5% to 20% body fat.

The Shangri la Diet (SLD) actually does reduce my appetite. I used to always clean my plate. Now I have leftovers and doggie bags. I will always have the ability to be a great eater, to scarf everything down, but now I feel full a lot earlier. The key is to listen to my stomach and stop eating. SLD takes care of the physiology, some of it is still up to me and my brain.

The taking and uploading of photos helps keep me honest. I know that if I fall behind, I have to announce it. Not many people are watching it but just seeing a few views here and there helps reinforce the idea that I’m being monitored. Uploading has an additional benefit: by looking at my “sent” cellphone messages I can see when I last ate and what.

Traineo is pretty and user friendly and provides good ways to track progress. I’m not really using the social aspect of it at this point. Frankly, watching strangers try to lose weight is kind of an odd idea to me, even though I’m putting myself on display so that others might do the same. Guess you’ve got your exhibitionists and your voyeurs.

flickrfilmstrip.jpg

LITTLE THINGS THAT HELP MAKE IT WORK FOR ME

• I mentioned the workout program and website addresses in emails and IMs with friends and family to help gather a few supporters.
  • Save your Flickr upload email address (located under account/upload by email) as the first contact in your cellphone. Preface its name with @ symbols (or any symbol) to make it show up first. Not having to scroll through contacts makes doing the cameraphone thing a lot easier.
  • I take a picture during my workout, but only upload it after I leave the gym. This gives me something to look forward to and amplifies the sense of completion.
  • My gym has a bowl of candy by the front door. I eat one peppermint hard candy on the way in, and one on the way out, as a little reward.
  • Don’t pose your food or pose with it. Just whip out the cam and snap a quick shot and upload it. Otherwise it ends up being a pain in the ass and will undermine your will to keep taking pictures.
  • I take a photo of the weight scale right after I get out of the shower after a workout. Keeping the “feedback reward” as close to the completion of the task help motivate me.
  • For the same reason, I enter the data for the workout right after I get out of the shower and get dressed.

CONCLUSIONS
The single best way to reduce future health care costs is to be fit, healthy, and not overweight. Using a mix of calorie control, increased exercise, and a few tools on the internet, you lose weight, get fit, have fun and not starve.

By diligently identifying and amplifying the little things that motivate, and identifying and mitigating or eliminating the things that demotivate, it’s possible for to significantly alter one’s behavior in a new, positive direction.

My Profile Pages
Traineo or follow with RSS
Flickr or follow with RSS

Comments

1. headon says:

What a geek. Just stop eating, and get off your ass once in a while. Congrats on the weight loss. Now keep it off will ya so I don’t have to be bored through another rambling post about it.

2. pine22 says:

wait?! lemmie get this straight, you went on a diet, worked out, and you lost weight?!

if it takes you posting it on the internet to motivate you, then post away!

3. Aeroracere says:

You mean 2 workouts a week on your Bowflex, purchased for only 12 easy installments of $99, wasn’t enough?? Good diet and a support system were necessary?

Impossible. The television lied!

4. allstarecho says:

Yeah, there’s 10 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. You admit it yourself.. you sit around blogging and not exercising.. of COURSE you’re going to get a fat ass!

5. dbeahn says:

The fact that this guy needed to use his (let’s face it) internet addiction to accomplish those 2 basic things is good for him, but a colossal waste of time for most people.

6. chrisgoh says:

Good for you Ben! Gotta do whatever works for you.

7. Seiphas says:

I actually lost a few pounds last summer, but not by doing anything or moving. My parents told me they didn’t want food upstairs, and since I would be on my computer most of the time, no food meant no soda, and no candy. Unless I walked downstairs, I’d be drinking water, so I ended up losing weight because I was forced to drink water instead of other drinks.

8. GF_AdventureGrl says:

I think that story is awesome. No matter what the motivator is, if the pounds are coming off, it’s pretty admirable. Stop knocking him for how he did it-it’s much better than if he starved himself or just gave up altogether.

9. agb says:

whatever. i lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks snorting blow and eating 4 laxatives a day AND i didn’t make a consumerist post about it

10. papa_panda says:

I was hoping he actually lost weight just sitting in front of a computer. I might try that shangri-la diet. Even though canola oil sounds pretty nasty.

11. lestat730 says:

Somehow the thought of drinking sugar water and doing spoonfulls of oil sounds pretty disgusting…. I’ll take eating healthy (but not obsessively) and a simple exercise routine of walking a couple of miles and chasing my dog around a field for an hour.

12. racermd says:

@headon: Pot, meet Kettle.

Really – if you’re bored enough to read through such a post, you might just be spending too much time in front of the computer, yourself.

It’s all about personal responsibility. Live it. You’ll be a better person for it. This goes for both Ben’s goal as well as anyone complaining that they just lost 10 minutes of their day reading about it.

13. homerjay says:

Wow, you guys are harsh. Anonymity really brings out the worst in people sometimes. I’m just impressed that he had the balls to put this entire thing out there for all you vultures to pick at. Especially the picture of him in what appears to be an adorable green womens v-neck. :)

14. Scuba Steve says:

5’11″ huh.. must be nice being so tall.

15. Roundonbothends says:

Blogs are bloring. This guy’s is a “Who cares?” Really, now?

16. WTRickman says:

It’s a good post, but I’m not sure why it belongs on Consumerist. Maybe Lifehacker is a better place.

17. letoofdune says:

Congrats Ben – I wish I had the same personal dedication. I’m a bit of a tubby myself, and although I’ve had a few aborted attempts at losing 20lbs or so, I just can’t seem to manage it.

Not moping – just saying that I know how impressive it is when someone manages it.

18. flackman says:

fuckin ben popken

19. humorbot says:

Well it’s about a kind of consumption…

Alright, it may be a bit off topic, but it takes a little bravery to post this sort of thing for all the world to see. And I’m sure there’s a lot of Consumerist readers-including you douchebags complaining about the post-who could use Popken’s advice.

20. Auntie M. says:

Congratulations! Ignore the haters. I’m glad you found a way that works for you. I’ve done many different things through the years and sometimes I need to use sort of a gimmick to keep me motivated. Tech seems to be the best way for you. Good luck!

21. enm4r says:

I’m not complaining about the post, and I’m not “hating” on Ben. Congrats on the weight loss, I always say whatever someone needs, support that.

But this really has nothing to do with consumerism. And I’m glad another person can support the “eat healthier and get off your ass” diet plan. It’s amazing how often it works, and yet it’s the last resort because it actually takes a little effort.

22. HalOfBorg says:

@agb:

You mean until now, right?

23. jamesdenver says:

Quote: At the end of the day, ANY system that includes both “eat less” and “move around more” will result in loss of excess weight.

Exactly but good job monitoring your food. Small portions throughout the day are much more beneficial to your metabolism that a heaping plate of Applebee’s or similar at the end of the day.

Also keep moving! And get away from the net. (Yes I need to take my own advice) But I bike to work and back 8 miles each way. Regular daily cardio is necessary in addition to a good diet and gym weights. And it’s much more fun if you work your cardio into something you enjoy daily like biking, raquetball, running – rather than running onwhere on a gym treadmill. (my opinion)

james [www.futuregringo.com]

24. wring says:

canola oil??? Is that to give you diarrhea???

25. dbeahn says:

@dbeahn: All that said tho: Losing weight is HARD. A few years ago I dropped just over a hundred pounds, and I’ve kept most of it off. Congrats Ben, and if it’s working for you, stick with it!

26. zolielo says:

It is no mercy day on Lifehacker it seems.

I agree that it is as simple as, “Eat less, workout more, or a mix of the two.”

27. sly100100 says:

Maybe it’s just me but if you Dad thought you were diabetic then drinking sugar water is not the ideal choice!
    I have just recently been diagnosed with diabetes and I have so much to learn about eating right. But I am pretty sure that drinking oil and sugar water aren’t the way to go!
    Glad you lost weight but I think exercise and eating right is what did it not sugar water and oil.

28. DCXC says:

The man lost weight and used internet resources to both get info, and share his experience. He used a site for social weight loss as it was intended.

He’s not asking you to join in his program, he’s not selling you weight loss tips. No, it’s not amazing, no, it’s not earth shattering.

At least he’s doing something about his weight instead of this being another post about someone else suing McDonald’s for making them fat.

29. drjayphd says:

@zolielo: Nah, it’s Consumerist. ‘Round these parts, we call it “Sunday”.

30. Autofac says:

Though I commend him for your weight loss, and it is wonderful to see people take an interest in their diet. I am completely baffled that he took on the approach of a sugar-water diet.

Coming from somone who works out a lot, and has spent months perfecting the right diet for my weight loss plan I find the idea of the diet he decided take on completely ludicrous.

Even the slightest bit of research into proper fat cutting diets and exercise regimens would have told him how bad of an idea it was.

But whatever works, I suppose.

31. acambras says:

Nice job, Ben!

I’m working on losing a few pounds myself. I’ll check out that website.

The diet seems a little suspect. I’m wondering if some of it is placebo effect. I’m betting that eating less (whatever the reason), exercising, and tracking your efforts (which involves paying attention to what you eat and how much you exercise) played a bigger part.

And for those who say this isn’t appropriate for Consumerist, consider the amount of marketing targeted at people who would like to lose weight, tone up, be more fit/healthy, etc. — gym memberships, special foods, weight loss programs, books, videos, pills, supplements, shakes, exercise equipment and apparel — the list goes on and on… It IS a consumer issue.

32. andrewsmash says:

Just a reminder – do your resistance training. You don’t need weights, but push-ups, pull-ups, leg lifts, etc. work just fine. It’s important to build up muscle mass especially while losing weight, not just to avoid sharpei skin, but also to help with bone density and to improve metabolism over the long run.

33. stubblyhead says:

good job, ben. i need to lose about 20 pounds myself. stick with it.

34. acambras says:

Here’s one thought:

Instead of the canola oil, why not have half a handful of peanuts? You’ll still feel very satiated, and they’d taste a lot better. 2 tablespoons of peanuts have about 100 calories, compared to 120 calories per tablespoon of canola oil. Also, with the peanuts you’d get several grams of protein (vs. 0 from canola oil).

I know then it wouldn’t be the Shangri-La diet, but it’s a thought…

Oh, and I’m not some shill for the peanut industry. ;-)

35. bohemian says:

Good job on losing the weight.

Two things really bugged me about this. One, your gym lets you use a camera phone? The gym I go to only allows phone use in the lobby, anywhere else would get you thrown out. Two, please some equating ALL health issues with people’s bad habits. There are many serious health issues that have nothing to do with your lifestyle. Sure living a healthier life will decrease your risk of some of the big ones like diabetes, heart disease and obesity related injuries. It won’t prevent things that are genetic or have nothing to do with your habits.

36. TPIRman says:

Wow, way to go, Ben! Maybe your next task should be to trim the fat from the commenter rolls.

37. zolielo says:

@drjayphd:

Nah, it’s Consumerist. ‘Round these parts, we call it “Sunday”.

Hehe – truly awesome comment. The Gawker fellows cross posted…

38. whereismyrobot says:

Congrats, Ben!

I have lost about ten pounds using thedailyplate.com. You can tracks your meals and workouts and it tells you how many more calories you can have for whatever specific goal you have.

39. dvdchris says:

@bohemian: I was thinking the same thing. Gym does not allow phones because almost all of them have cameras, especially in the locker room!!
    And it certainly wouldn’t allow actual cameras!
    Maybe he goes to one that’s behind the times on this?

40. What a shame. If Ben had used Alli for weight loss, we could call him Ben Poopken!

(I’ve been waiting a long time to use that one…)

41. TedSez says:

The best way to find out about about the Shangri-La Diet (other than, um, buying the book) is from the forums at [boards.sethroberts.net.] The oil most practitioners recommend is extra-light olive oil, which is flavorless and relatively healthy.

If you’re like most people, this plan probably will lower your appetite. But you still have put some effort into consistently sticking with a lower-calorie diet.

42. GitEmSteveDave says:

@Seiphas: The newest(September) edition of Scientific American focuses on diets and obesity worldwide. One of the authors had a good point on liquids.

Up until recently, water was the only liquid to drink. Now, we consume A LOT of beverages that aren’t neutral, they ADD to out caloric intake. Our bodies haven’t adapted to this yet, so they don’t offset the amount of food we intake accordingly. In Mexico, where sugar laced beverages have flooded the market lately, over 60% of the adult population is obese, and diabetes is becoming epidemic. In fact, world wide, the amount of obese people has risen over the level of undernourished people.

On a personal note, after my GF dumped me after 3 years for a blind guy, I took control and went from over 220 to about 160 since last November. The biggest change is I drink about a gallon of water a day, eat a little more sensibly, and try to get an hour of walking done each weekday. And I must say when I saw her last April for the first time since November, and she had PUT on weight, a smile crept across my face. About a week later she declared on her blog that she was joinging weight watchers so she could lose “70 to 80 lbs”, and sent me an e-mail asking me for tips.

Don’t listen to the haters Ben. Keep it up. Or “off”, as it were.

43. That Bastid says:

Great post, but man, amazing people are that vicious, even to the blogger himself.

Anyway, the shangri-la thing really works. And no, ACAMBRAS, a handful of peanuts would not work better. A lot of what you’ve been told about diet are just memes.

44. ursonate says:

I haven’t read up on the diet or anything, but I’m curious. I wonder if flax seed oil might be better than canola?

45. oldtaku says:

Shangri-la diet worked for me as well. From 240 to 170 pounds with almost no effort (though it took a year and a half). I think you may find the oil works better than the sugar (and is less rough on your system), but whatever works for you. Good luck.

46. synergy says:

You don’t usually loose something. You loosen it, maybe. Your shoelaces can be loose. Women of ill repute are said to be loose.

On the other hand, if you can’t find something you lose it.

47. Sherryness says:

It might be as simple to lose weight as “eat less and exercise more.” But walking from San Diego to New York is as simple as putting one foot in front of the other. Just because something is “simple” doesn’t mean it is easy. Using something you are passionate about (in this case, the internet) to help motivate you is only a positive thing, in my opinion.

48. TMurphy says:

On the idea of finding exercise you enjoy, I find it would be good to find something you can use to relax, not to get excited over. Now, the only way for me to lose weight is to hack off a limb, so I can’t speak from experience, but I think running will keep me fit for life. There has been many a boring day in classes where all I want is to relax by jogging for 40 minutes. What exercise can do for you mentally is often much bigger than what it does for you physically, I believe.

49. gwilson says:

“I take a photo of the weight scale right after I get out of the shower after a workout. Keeping the “feedback reward” as close to the completion of the task help motivate me.”

I’ve always been told if your scale measures body fat by passing electric current through your body then you should do the body fat reading before the workout since the workout messes up your fluid levels. That way the readings will be more accurate. Also I find I actually weigh less before I work out since I usually drink a litre of water or more during it so it’s more of a feedback reward for me to do it beforehand. But whatever floats your boat, good job and keep it up Ben.

The post is a good idea for the blog. It reminds everyone that you guys are people too and aren’t just human #1,340,792,568 sitting in front of a screen somewhere posting information for all the other anonymous humans to read and ridicule. It’s good to know about the people that give you your news. The guys over at Kotaku do this really well and I think it’d be great to get that here too.

50. Benny Gesserit says:

@agb: You just did.

Congrats, Ben. And it’s so obvious, I can’t believe it.

If *I* swallowed a spoonful of oil at 11am, I’d be horking for at least a few hours – likely wouldn’t be able to keep food down until 7-8 in the evening.

51. phnx8008 says:

In regards of suppressing the appetite. Will you always ingest the canola oil and sugar water or will you stop? If you stop do you feel your eating habits will return to normal and then gain back the wait?

52. shades_of_blue says:

Nicely done, one of my friends dropped 75+ pounds in a years time and kept it off.

Myself, I’m starting to notice a little plumping…So I’ve got to start working out. Actually, I wanna try WiiFit and see if that helps. Should keep me motivated…

53. FreakyStyley says:

@jamesdenver: Really, daily cardio is necessary? Hello, catabolism! Especially on a hypocaloric diet. I lost 57 pounds with minimal cardio.

54. Antediluvian says:

Shouldn’t the headline be “How We Lost 14.6 lbs”? :-)

Seriously, Ben, congrats. I thought you looked good in that awesome “Heroes” photo.

55. asherchang says:

@Scuba Steve: 5’10″ is average for an American male…

56. asherchang says:

@Antediluvian: LOL, all Gawker blogs do make eggregious use of the journalistic We.

57. King of the Wild Frontier says:

Congratulations, Ben! And never mind the haters. I’d be interested in reading a follow-up post in 6 months to see how maintenance went.

58. MeOhMy says:

@Antediluvian: Seriously! It’s always “WE” around here but then when it comes to something important like “OUR” health, Ben hangs us out to dry and flies solo!

59. notallcompaniesarebad says:

A Garmin Forerunner 205 (or similar device) can really target people’s desire to stay healthy while indulging a data fetish that is so prevalent out there on the internets.
    Addressing the first few comments — while I’m struggling to see how this fits into the consumerist mission, people need to lay off. No one is putting a gun to your head to read anything.

60. AppleSnack says:

I HAD the same exact build as you, 5’11″ 220lbs. I started something similar to the South Beach Diet and 1 month later I’m still 5’11″ but now I weight 195lbs. I can eat carbs (low) but I’m not depriving myself of them like that other diet. It’s easy to do and I occasionally cram 3 slices of Pizza Hut pizza… I work with a couple of guys from http://www.slowcarbliving.com and they’ve lost between 70-100 lbs each so I had to see it work for myself. Yes, I’m at a computer EVERY DAY 8+ hours. I do play softball in the evenings and chase the kids around the house.

My wife also joined me and she’s lost 20+ lbs too!

61. forever_knight says:

good job! i believe that at your height you still need to lose a few more pounds to get to that magic point, but looks like you are on the right track.

i’m trying south beach right now. it’s interesting to change your entire way of eating. makes it….somewhat fun.

62. Juliekins says:

Way to go, Ben! If it takes playing into your gadget obsession to get healthy, I say go for it. I’m a guilty of gadget overload when it comes to fitness, myself. :P Having gadgets makes it easier to track metrics, and that makes everything you’re doing seem more tangible since it can be measured. Food scale, HRM, Tanita body fat scale, food logs… Mmmmm. Gadgety.

I don’t know about that canola oil and sugar water business, though. You can keep that.

63. Justinian says:

I have been on low carb for a 3 months. I haven’t been very active, other than exercises to strengthen my lower back / hip area (I feel like an old man), though I’m feeling better.

I’ve lost about 10 pounds or so (235 to 225, I’m 6’2″), though I’m not sure whether it’s because I’m in ketosis or whether I’m just not snacking. I think once I get back into exercising, I’ll boost the weight loss by quite a bit (I plateaued and gained weight back up to close to my starting weight for a frustrating period of time).

Great job Ben!

64. star_ says:

Canola oil?

Please only use extra virgin olive oil if you’re going to consume oil like that.

I think the sugar water is junk. Olive oil and cider vinegar will be much better for you.

65. GuruSteve says:

This is why I hate blogs. I don’t care about random internet person’s workout routine. Your life is not that interesting, sorry.

66. I decided to put all my diet and workouts online to make me feel publicly accountable. I also figured that the idea that I was doing an internet project makes it seem less of a chore.

I was thinking about doing the same thing but the comments give me pause. Last thing I want to hear while I’m actually losing weight is a bunch of whining about how I’m doing it the way someone else thinks I should.

67. @Rectilinear Propagation: I’m referring to the whining about using the Internet, btw, not the concerns about the oil and sugar.

68. jamesdenver says:

@GuruSteve:

But that’s the reason to love them too. A not so close relative of mine somewhere has a blog with the details of his brain tumor treatments and operations.

My aunt is mortified that he would post such personal things – but I told her it’s great for others going through the same thing. It serves an extremely narrow audience, but in his case it’s for a good reason. To give info for others.

69. That Bastid says:

Star is right that Canola oil is NSG for the shangrila diet (causes poor sleep, etc…check the forums) but incorrect about the extra virgin olive oil. The better choice is extra LIGHT olive oil, as the flavor has been removed. (There’s more info on the SLD site if you need it.)

70. Myron says:

Don’t encourage more worthless posts like this by leaving so many comments.

D’oh!

71. Ben Zvan says:

A buddy of mine has set up a table in front of his treadmill where he can set his laptop and work while walking. Sounds like a great method to me.

72. swallowyourhalo says:

Congrats, Ben. Now what about people who can’t afford gym memberships and the price of sending pictures over our cameraphones?

73. Sinflux says:

I lost 30 pounds in 3 months just by eliminating fast food and soda. I’m 5’4″ and I went from 180 to 150. I didn’t exercise, eat less or do anything else differently.

74. dvdchris says:

From some of the comments, I don’t think many are understanding who Ben is.
    This article is posted here because Ben is the main editor of this site. If he wants to post his article here, even if it’s a little outside the typical subject matter, it’s his business.

75. DeeJayQueue says:

So, you didn’t really lose any weight by sitting in front of a computer. You lost weight by eating better and exercising more.

I applaud the weight loss. However, the title is misleading and actually pretty false. True you used internet utilities and sites like Flickr to help you track the loss and give you a psychological boost, but it was the eating less and exercising bit that cut the lbs off, not the computer.

76. …it was the eating less and exercising bit that cut the lbs off, not the computer.

@DeeJayQueue: But would he have stuck to it without the computer?

77. mrearly2 says:

I’d lose weight, too, if I starved myself, not by sitting in front of a computer.
    What you need(ed) is a diet of simple foods and plenty of exercise.
    You’re certainly not losing weight because you are consuming table sugar. Refined sugar contains what are called “empty calories”–calories without nutrition (vitamins, minerals, enzymes), and it will cause a spike of insulin, which is very bad for the heart and blood vessels, so it’s not at all good for you.
    If you eat good meals and get plenty of exercise and don’t consume soft drinks and other junk food, you’ll be much better off.

78. Elviswasntmyhero says:

Bravo Boy Wonder!

Just keep in mind that the trick isn’t just to lose the lard but to keep it off. So beware of the corporate fascists who also read this blog and will try to trip you up by sending out free samples of their “microwave popcorn,” if you know what I mean.

79. jk225 says:

Don’t insult this guy, his post is informative and interesting. I am impressed and grateful as I indeed learned something from reading it. (so what if lose is misspelled? I am sure that’s just a typo)

80. captainsky says:

Good for you Ben on the weight loss! That is awesome and you were so diligent with the pictures. That definitely took serious discipline. But I am surprised you didn’t go with any supplements to aid in your weight loss, stuff to increase your metabolism, etc. You might want to check out that avenue. Just a suggestion.

On another note, I am appalled at the negative feedback you have received from insensitive mongers who felt the need to be nasty. Geez, people the guy exposes his very personal journey with weight loss and you fault him for it. He is only sharing his experience to probably motivate himself some more and help motivate some others, too.

I am going through the same ordeal for the first time in my life–being fat that is. I gained 50 pounds from a medication prescribed for my depression. I finally had to come off the drug when I topped 240 even though the drug made me feel better. Fortunately, I am 6’2″ but I am still fleshed out excessively and completely self-conscious about it.

After reading your story, I went over to traineo, the site you mentioned, and I signed up to see if it will give me some additional motivation with regards to watching what I eat. I am already working out with a trainer but I found that is just helps with growing muscle, so I need to motivate myself solo for the cardio end of it. But I can’t see myself taking pictures of my food. I am definitely not that disciplined.

Keep up the good work Ben and know you motivated someone with your story.

81. AdminX says:

I could get the same results in a week by playing dance dance revolution an hour ever day while on a mountain dew binge. I’ll even blog about it.

82. lalahsghost says:

I’ve totally ditched my car for any trip that is less than 15 miles away. I spent $300 (accumulatively) on a bike, and I’ve been averaging 12 miles a day. A cyclocomputer, no matter how cheap really helps and motivates. I still eat the same amount, but I ride there and I ride back from the restaurants. I’ve lost 15lbs in three months and my legs and arms are a lot more fit. I’m 5’6″, 120 lbs, but I was 135lbs. It’s not like I was fat :)