11th Walmart Flipflop Chemical Burning Case Reported

The story of the burnt foot from flip-flops confirmed my Fear that I had suffered a Chemical Burnt from a Black Flip Flop, bought at Walmarts too. Unfortunately three doctors have not yet identified why I suddenly developed dried, Cracked skin under my booth feet and on the sides. I long suspected the Flip Flops threw one away in 2005 and bought a Fresh one (for the Beach) thinking that I might have developed a “Fungus.”

When it got worse the dermatologist said that it was definitely not a fungus…

He prescribed gave me a very expensive cream for dry skin and said the Dry skin might be hereditary. My general practitioner sent me to get a pedicure and the podiatrist treated the cuts himself with Bettamine and E45, and in May the Chemist suggested A&D. That’s quite a lot of follow-up and the cuts still continue with a Blackened area and around the skin gets dried again and again and then splits-showing deep lacerations. They close then split again. I continued to suspect that it appeared as a chemical burn and up till now have not found any other cases on the web but many friends who had throw their Flipflops just I had done, buying new ones again.

Did you come across any doctor who can diagnose that my feet are chemically burnt? I have been telling everyone so for the last two years and I suffer in silence most times. Please answer me if you can as I need to do something about these cracks that keep coming again and again.

Sincerely,

Jeane F.

At Least Nine Cases Of Walmart Flipflops Burning Customers, Here’s The Latest
Walmart Flipflops Continue To Chemically Burn Wearers
Woman Receives Severe Chemical Burns From Flip Flops, Walmart Tells Her To Complain To Manufacturer

Comments

1. TPIRman says:

Rather than going about it backward and searching for a doctor who can give you the diagnosis you want, have you/can you revisit one of the specialists you have already seen? It seems from your story that you spoke to a different medical expert each time: dermatologist, GP, chemist, podiatrist. It would help if you could have some continuity of care so that you could say, “Your previous solution didn’t work; what does this tell you about my case and how should we proceed?”

Perhaps you could try to revisit either the dematologist or the podiatrist (i.e., a relevant specialist), review your history, and discuss your concerns about the flip-flops being the cause. Put together a list of points you want to cover with the doctor when you visit so that you don’t walk out feeling s/he didn’t get the complete picture.

If you’re not happy with any of your previous doctors and if you have a choice, perhaps you can ask friends to recommend a trusted dermatologist or podiatrist.

For what it’s worth, your case doesn’t sound quite the same as previous cases, where the injury has been mostly on the top of the foot where the straps came across the skin. So while it may be reasonable to suspect the flip-flops, there may be another explanation. I’d recommend scheduling another visit with a specialist, and going in well-prepared but with a somewhat open mind.

2. coopjust says:

I worry about the dangerous checmicals that may burn my feet.

(And, if it gets fixed later, it was a typo in the headline).

3. Sudonum says:

I’m sorry, that was way too painful to read and try to comprehend. Maybe it was the Patron I drank last night, but somehow I don’t think so. And did read that correctly, after all this, for the last two years and she still buys WalMart flip flops?

4. The_Shadow says:

With the apparent number of cases being so few [when you consider that hundreds of thousands of pairs of the flip flops have probably been sold] it still sounds like more of a case of either these individual’s body chemistry is just different enough {EG some medication they’re taking} to react to the flip flops or these few shoppers bought a super rare pair of flip flops where some component[s] wasn’t manufactured properly for reason.

If it was an issue with an entire batch of flip flops, or even multiple batches, there would easily be dozens [if not hundreds] of such cases being reported.

If the reaction truly is a problem with the flip flops, Consumerist should be banging on the doors of the manufacturer rather than Wal-Mart’s.

5. dbeahn says:

This isn’t “11th Walmart flip flop case”. This is something older and not related to that same batch of flip flops.

On top of that, this is someone that “long suspected” the flip flops were causing it, and then kept wearing them?

I long suspected the hot burner on the stove was what was burning me when I held my hand against it. So I keep throwing the old burner elements and buying new burner elements, then letting them heat red hot and trying it again. Can anyone recommend a Doctor that can diagnose my stove burner burns as frostbite?

I’m really disappointed that this is posted under a bullshit headline. It’s years older and totally unrelated.

6. bhall03 says:

@DBEAHN: ROTFLOL

7. vonskippy says:

All of these posts prove one (and ONLY one thing). Really Stupid people buy flip-flops from Walmart. Everything else is just anecdotal evidence.

8. flugangst says:

Maybe photos would help, as the letter-writer doesn’t come off as the most articulate person, but this doesn’t really sound like a case of chemical burn. Others have reported itchy, painful red sores on the tops of their feet where the straps meet the skin, with symptoms lasting for weeks after a brief exposure. They all seem to have developed the symptoms only after exposure to a particular style of flip flops that came out this year. However, this woman reports only one symptom: dried, cracked skin on the soles and sides of her feet, and she says that it’s occured with multiple pairs of flip flops over the last couple of years.

This sounds like an extremely common occurrence that I call Too Long Since My Last Pedicure Syndrome. There’s just something about flip flops (perhaps to do with how easy it is to have your heel slip and touch the ground, or just the warm weather that usually occasions them being worn) that seems to especially encourage the skin on the heels and sides of feet to get extremely dry. (Tromping around on the beach, either barefoot or in flip flops, also seems to dry out foot skin a lot.)

I’d encourage the letter-writer to have a pedicure, switch up the footwear a bit, and become religious about applying a foot moisturizer (vaseline on your feet at bedtime is a great, cheap way to keep your feet soft – just put on some socks to protect your sheets).

9. KingPsyz says:

Honestly, I think all the cases of chemical burns from walmart flip flops as it were is a case of people with sensitive skin having a reaction to the more than likely cheap detergents used in the nylon/cloth portions of said footware when packaged for shipping.

If nothing else this tells people, like sheets, or clothes, or socks, or anything else you buy that comes into contact with your skin… WASH IT BEFORE PUTTING IT ON YOU DOLTS!

Have you even BEEN in a Wal*Mart lately? Seriously, it’s like a human zoo, so why would you think that somehow the tub of flip flops on the floor has somehow been untouched by human hands before your arrival?

Common sense should tell you right there to go rinse them off in the sink or something when you get home before putting on those jesuscleats©*.

*no offense meant, just a great name some friends and I came up with for sandals and flip-flops.

10. YokoOno says:

A great name, huh? Not so much.

11. Kat says:

Geez Ben, would you copyedit letters like that for readability before you post them?

12. SaraAB87 says:

I do realize that people are really suffering from this but the thing that gets me about this is why has none of this happened to the workers who handle the flip flops? Everyone who has gotten harmed by these flip flops reports it happening after only a few min of use so if workers are constantly handling these items, stocking and straightening them I would think that a worker at some point would develop a similiar condition on their hands from touching the flip flops while working. Unless the irritation happens only on feet and not on hands.

This is probably unlikely but is is possible that someone at a factory or a store could have laced the flip flops with some sort of substance that causes these people’s feet to get like that? If they only laced a couple pairs it might explain why only a few people have had this problem so far. I have heard of that happening with things like tylenol and eye drops so it cannot be ruled out as a possibility.

13. Athenor says:

Huh.

I bought a $6 pair of sandals from Wal-mart at the beginning of the summer. Within a day of wearing them, my feet hurt something fierce, but I didn’t want to wear my dress shoes around campus. I figured it was just the new shoes needing to be broken in.

The feelings didn’t go away. Eventually, the callouses on my feet started splitting on the sides, where the leather met the rubber sole. To this day, it still feels uncomfortable wearing them.

I don’t know why I haven’t thrown them out. I have since gotten better shoes, although they aren’t flip-flops.

14. Namilia says:

@Athenor: I’d keep them but not wear them. If there ends up being a recall/class action lawsuit or something, you can prove you did have them then.

It is a surprise that Wal*Mart has not recalled these yet. Oh wait..it’s Wal*Mart. I take that back…

15. KingPsyz says:

12 people hardly a class action lawsuit makes.

I would suggest washing them with a perfume free dishsoap or other detergent like Dreft and seeing if that makes any difference.

16. smarty says:

This is getting pretty useless Ben. We know a limited number of people are being affected with these flip flops, but what is being done to find out whats the cause?

17. formergr says:

Well Wal-Mart tried to test a pair of the offending flip-flops, but the person whose feet were affected wouldn’t let them because they were suspicious it was a ruse by the company to steal them. And the person was too stupid to realize that giving them just ONE flip-flop could have allowed testing but also protect him or her if Wal-MArt was trying to cover this up.

18. HungryGrrl says:

Maybe this will finally stop the “flip flops in public” trend and people will start wearing real sandals again!

This ‘flip flop burn’ thing is starting to remind me or Morgellen’s Disease.

19. formergr says:

@HungryGrrl: Ha! Good analogy…

20. acambras says:

@flugangst:

Have you read some of the hateful comments on the other flip-flop posts? All sorts of stuff about how ugly OPs’ feet were, get a freakin’ pedicure, etc.

If I had a reaction from WalMart flip-flops, I would be reluctant to send in a photo of my feet. And I think I have pretty decent ones, too.

21. wring says:

everyone is so crabby today.

22. QuiescentWonder says:

I have the same problem. I started wearing sandals all the time about three years ago and the heels of my feet started cracking probably six months afterwards. They would start to hurt and crack underneath the skin and then the top layer of skin would crack after it hurt really bad for a couple of days. This started after I started getting cheap ones from Wal-Mart. I never thought that it could actually have something to do with the sandals themselves and figured it was just that my feet were really dry. So I would wear shoes for a week or two then go back to sandals and use moisturizer if the problem started to come back. I haven’t had this issue for a long time now and about two days ago my feet started to hurt again. I just put some Eucerin moisturizer on them twice in two days and they’re fine… Maybe everyone should just start spending more than $2 on sandals and actually get a decent pair.

23. QuiescentWonder says:

Oh, I just found this. I doubt cracked heels have anything to do with chemical burns. With so little searching and how common it makes this problem sound it’s surprising that none of the doctors you saw told you any of this: [www.epodiatry.com]

24. ghostdancer says:

I wore flip flops forty years ago while in the Navy and even around close to 300 sailors using the same shower, never developed any problems except when I wore them on the beach. I developed sand burns on the tops of my feet from the straps rubbing them.

I didn’t have a Wal-Mart to complain to so I went to the ship’s doctor. He had the nerve to tell me to stop wearing them in sand. He told me that most any kind of sandals would do this, if they were thong type that has straps going between my toes.He also told me that those straps would rub if I just wore them dry around the ship. That’s why they didn’t bother me in the shower. I still don’t wear those things and haven’t had the redness since then.

This story almost rings of the other stories going around of any of the major stores. They get accused of all sorts of silliness.

25. Hirayuki says:

In Jeane’s case, the only thing these cheap-ass shoes might possibly be responsible for would be her Rampant case of Random capitalization Syndrome–and even That’s a stretch.

26. hate2brippedoff says:

Gotta watch out for those checmical burns, they are far worse than the more common chemical burns, LOL.

Seriously, how many lives have to be ruined before USA consumers learn that goods from countries that are not our friends is NOT necessarily in our best interest?