Get Your Complaint Resolved By Posting It To The Company's Stock Forums

Another of Ron Burley’s techniques for getting large businesses to fix his complaints is to post it in the message boards devoted to discussing that company and its stock price.

Most major companies have at least one person whose job it is to monitor these forums. Go to a place like CBS MarketWatch or Yahoo! Finance, and make a post containing the following:

• You are a longtime customer
  • The company has treated you poorly recently and it would so simple for the company to solve you if they weren’t adhering to dunderheaded policies
  • Say you’re taking your dollars elsewhere and you know of other longtime customers who are doing the same.
  • Include your contact number or email. This way they know you’re for real instead of trying to nudge the stock price.

Investors, writes Burley, “all have their fingers to the wind, looking for trends. A potential decline in consumer confidence in a company is a strong wind indeed. The company watchers know this and will respond quickly to stifle a cool wind from the wrong direction.”

You can then expect a call from the company, which you should respond to in a cool and professional manner. Think like a business and talk like a business. You’re making a business deal, your goal is either some kind of service or remuneration, not an apology.

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. Myron says:

Got one of those internet linky things to the source?

2. beyond says:

I want a link, too. I can’t wait to post my phone number on the Internet.

3. Brian_D says:

Useful with http://www.numbr.com for Privacy purposes — I wouldn’t want my phone number published forever on such a site — I get enough telemarketing calls as is!

4. GuruSteve says:

Please just post your email not your phone number. If they email you then you can email your phone number. The author of this needs to retake Internet 101.

5. LionelEHutz says:

Why not give them your SSN too?

6. ncboxer says:

@GuruSteve: Post your real email? You must like spam. You could get a throwaway email address like Yahoo or Google and use that till they respond.

7. Kwummy says:

Should I also give them my credit card numbers and passwords?

8. timmus says:

The only problem is have you seen the amount of traffic on those forums? Look at the Apple board on Yahoo at [messages.finance.yahoo.com] — anything you post on there will scroll off the front page in just 5 minutes, and after a couple of hours it will be 20 or 30 pages back. I find it pointless to post on a board with so much traffic (one reason I quit Slashdot).

9. warf0x0r says:

I just finished posting My CC #s, SSN, Addr, and Personal kinks on a few Corporate websites… now to sit back and watch the $$$ roll in.

10. enm4r says:

More lying suggested by consumerist? Saying that you’re a longtime customer should only be a step in the process if you are….gasp….a longtime customer.

11. timmus says:

you mean roll out?

12. EtherealStrife says:

@enm4r: Since when? News to me.

@timmus: And that is why you keep active, responding to questions people may have about your original or followup comments. If no responses within 24 hours, post again or bump your current one with some needless “additional information”. With such massive viewership your post will eventually be seen by someone who gives a damn.

13. Aladdyn says:

@enm4r:

I wouldnt agree with that assuming that your not lying about the actual problem your having with the company. If they are doing something bad to you I wouldnt hesitate to say something like that that is subjective anyway to get some help resolving it.

14. enm4r says:

@EtherealStrife: I assume you’re asking since when about the lying, and I don’t have any specific examples, and wouldn’t have the time to start going through random posts…but this isn’t the first time random exaggerations or “white lies” are being suggested to bolster a claim or misrepresent yourself in an attempt to gain a higher degree of service.

Granted this time they’re just supporting someone else who’s suggesting that you lie, but it’s the thing.

15. enm4r says:

@enm4r: *it’s the same thing, not just “the thing.”

@Aladdyn: That’s fine that you disagree, I realize many people see no harm in it. But for a site called “the consumerist” it seems like they’d have a higher degree of standards on what they consider “good consumerism.”

16. mkguitar says:

I have posted at google finance regarding my problem with BA.
    While I do not know if it helped ( I got my bags in 18 days, one of my co-workers waited about 5 weeks).

I approached it as warning potential investors that BA had problems it might try to hide through the quarter.
    And that a reduced customer base certainly reduces the pool of potential investors, lowering demand and prices for shares.
    MK

17. oscarramon says:

do you think any sophisticated investor goes to stock message board to share/get ideas? cmon.

18. Sonnymooks says:

@Brian_D:

Thank You for that website, I work in real estate and have to post ads in the village voice and craigslist alot, and have been dying for a service like this.

I just hope that service or company never ever goes away.

19. EtherealStrife says:

@enm4r: You assume incorrectly.

enm4r wrote: The ends don’t justify the means just because you’re the poor little man fighting the big corporation.

EtherealStrife responded: Since when? News to me.

20. Ben Popken says:

@mkguitar: Writing their CEO has been known to help as well.

21. alteredcarbon says:

It’s interesting to note the numbers of ass kissing corporate shills who come out to comment against any suggestions this site may convey to consumers to get satisfaction.

22. dantsea says:

@enm4r: The ends don’t justify the means just because you’re the poor little man fighting the big corporation.

When the corporations stop screwing the little man because they believe the ends justify the means, I’ll be more than happy to reciprocate.