A new Consumer Reports survey says that 89% of Americans want the government to implement better safeguards on their social security numbers, and that 87% “claim to have been asked in the past year to provide their Social Security number, in whole or in part.” [MSN]

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. Framling says:

Richard Nixon’s (567-68-0515).

2. Theber says:

457-55-5462- the number of the guy from the Life Lock ad that comes on tv every 30 seconds.

3. Brie says:

I was lucky. My college didn’t use SSNs as student IDs. Flash forward to 1998, when I was taking an art class at a community college, and the form said “We use your SSN as your student ID, but if you don’t want that, we can issue you a different number.” I asked to use a different number and they generated one for me.

Then, every time I needed to register, the staffer would ask “What’s your social?” I’d say, “Well, I don’t use my social for that. My ID number is ABCDEFGHI.” And the staffer would look at me: who is this privacy freak? Ah, 1998.

4. Johann says:

The 11% are illegal aliens.

5. Buran says:

@MissedTheExit: Staffer looks at you: What, you refuse to give me your number so I can’t scam your info?

6. ShadowFalls says:

I’d agree with this. Even the Social Security Administration should not be asking you for your entire social security number. You don’t know these people, they should be able to identify you by the last four numbers and other information you provide.

I have also seen Social Security send mail with all the numbers printed inside it. If someone steals your mail, they have enough to initiate identity theft, all because Social Security is negligent. If you get a Medicare card, it prints the social security number right there on it too, imagine how many doctor offices you had to show that.

When it all comes down to it, it is about trust. Who can you trust? If you answered no one, that would be the best answer. The list of who you can trust is certainly shorter than the list of ones you do not.

7. thepounder says:

Ask anyone who has been in the Army & they’ll tell you just like I will; it seems like every stinking piece of paper you have to sign while in the Army also needed an SSN.

Actually, having old Army paperwork I needed to keep gave my ex the opportunity to steal my identity and get a credit card with it.