A Denver man who snarfed microwaved popcorn at least twice a day for over a decade has been diagnosed with the first consumer case of “popcorn lung” an asthma-like condition that results from over-exposure to popcorn fumes, NYT reports.
“When he broke open the bags, after the steam came out, he would often inhale the fragrance because he liked it so much,” Dr. Rose said. “That’s heated diacetyl, which we know from the workers’ studies is the highest risk.”
Dr. Rose measured levels of diacetyl in the man’s home after he made popcorn and found levels of the chemical were similar to those in microwave popcorn plants. She asked the man to stop eating microwave popcorn.
“He was really upset that he couldn’t have it anymore,” Dr. Rose said. “But he complied.”
Now the man has lost 50lbs and his lungs have gotten better. Moral of the story: Don’t OD on popcorn, freakazoids.
Doctor Links a Man’s Illness to a Microwave Popcorn Habit [NYT]
PREVIOUSLY: Microwave Popcorn May Cause Lung Damage
(Photo: and parsecs to go)