American Airlines Fined Again For Unsafe Work Conditions At O'Hare

American Airlines was fined $231,000 back in June for unsafe work conditions at Chicago’s O’Hare airport. The conditions included fall hazards, electrical and fire hazards, hygiene issues, blocked exits and storage of oxygen and acetylene cylinders.

Now American Airlines has been fined a second time by OSHA—and this time it’ll cost them $227,500. From the Daily Herald:

Citations have included a lack of warning signs or labels on previously identified asbestos-containing materials, which could exposure employees to that hazardous substance; hearing conservation; confined space entry; respirator issues and failing to inform employees of the presence of hazardous chemicals and labeling many of those chemicals; and failing to maintain Hepatitis B declination forms.

Since 2004, OSHA has inspected American Airlines 66 times at locations nationwide, with 37 inspections resulting in citations. Its O’Hare hub has been inspected 10 times since 2000, with five inspections resulting in citations, OSHA documents said.

Two words we really don’t like typing in the same sentence: “airline” and “unsafe.”

American Airlines cited again by OSHA [Daily Herald]
(Photo:Ian Muttoo)

PREVIOUSLY: American Airlines Fined $231,000 For Unsafe Work Conditions At O’Hare

Comments

1. voteccow says:

Yet another reason for the American traveler to be scared of flying.

2. gorckat says:

Not as scared as Nepalese fliers:

[www.reuters.com]

Officials at Nepal’s state-run airline have sacrificed two goats to appease Akash Bhairab, the Hindu sky god, following technical problems with one of its Boeing 757 aircraft, the carrier said Tuesday.

3. CumaeanSibyl says:

@gorckat: Sadly, that shows a level of dedication and activity I don’t think our airlines can match.

4. Buran says:

I have categorically refused to give AA any money since they bought TWA and swore they wouldn’t lay people off.

Now look what’s left of TWA and KSTL.

I don’t support companies who screw over my hometown.

If this will help them crash and burn, words deliberately chosen, I’m all for fining them. Repeatedly.

(But, of course, other airlines guilty of the same should also be fined. I just feel no sympathy for corporate pathological liars).

5. Jay Levitt says:

Hmmm, so the fine’s going downward. At this rate, if AA doesn’t fix anything, OSHA will be paying them!

6. ekincam says:

Have air fares really gone up that much? I remember flying from San Francisco to south Florida back in the mid-90s and that was something like $300 or $400 for a ticket and I was 13 y/o back then.

I just recently flew from Palm Springs, CA to south Florida for about the same price but this time I only bought tickets 4 days, instead of weeks, in advance.

So in about 10 years the fares haven’t really changed all that much but I notice that service now sucks. I remember they gave me a small pizza on the plane for dinner. Now I have to buy my meal from the airlines and it’s a ham sandwich or something like that. Both times were economy tickets.